2019-20 Coaching Carousel

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
This seems to start earlier every year.

Rutgers-Fires Chris Ash on September 29. He had a record of 1-3 this year and was 8-32 in his fourth season. He was 0-3 and 3-27 in the Big Ten. Tight ends coach Nunzio Campanile was named interim coach.

Ash is a native of Ottumwa, Iowa. That was the hometown of Radar on MASH. Seems fitting he would coach at Rutgers, who once had a coach named Frank Burns. Also, today would have been Larry Linville's 80th birthday.

Campanile went 0-7 in the Big Ten and 1-7 overall to finish the year.

Rutgers hires Greg Schiano on November 30. He was 68-67 as Rutgers’ head coach 2001-2011 and 28-48 in the Big East. He was 11-21 in the NFL at Tampa Bay 2012-13.

Florida State-Fires Willie Taggert on November 3. He was 4-5 in his second year and 9-12 overall. He was 3-4 and 6-9 in the ACC. Odell Haggins is the interim coach.

Arkansas--Fires Chad Morris on November 10. He was 2-8 in his second season and 4-18 overall. He was 0-6 and 0-14 in the SEC. Barry Lunney Jr. is the interim coach.

Lunney goes 0-2 to finish the season.

New Mexico-Fires Bob Davie on November 25. He coached the final game against Utah State, which he lost. He was 2-10 this season and 0-8 in the MWC. In eight seasons he was 35-64 and 17-47.

UNLV-Fires Tony Sanchez on November 25. He coached the final game against Nevada, which he won. He was 4-8 this season and 2-6 in the MWC. In five seasons he was 20-40 and 13-27.

Missouri-Fires Barry Odum on November 30. He was 6-6 this year and 3-5 in the SEC. In four seasons he was 25-25 and 13-19.

Boston College-Fires Steve Addazio on December 1. He was 6-6 this year and 4-4 in the AAC. In seven seasons he was 44-44 and 22-34. Rich Gunnel was named interim coach.

Ole Miss-Fires Matt Luke on December 1. He was 4-8 this year and 2-6 in the SEC. In three seasons he was 15-21 and 6-18.

South Florida-Fires Charlie Strong on December 1. He was 4-8 this year and 2-6 in the AAC. In three seasons he was 21-16 and 11-13.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This seems to start earlier every year.

Rutgers-Fires Chris Ash on September 29. He had a record of 1-3 this year and was 8-32 in his fourth season. Tight ends coach Nunzio Campanile was named interim coach.

Ash is a native of Ottumwa, Iowa. That was the hometown of Radar on MASH. Seems fitting he would coach at Rutgers, who once had a coach named Frank Burns. Also, today would have been Larry Linville's 80th birthday.
Thanks, love all the MASH trivia. Radar meets a pretty young nurse, Lt. Patty Havens. He founds out she is from Lancaster, Missouri which is only 100 miles from Ottumwa and they promise to meet after the war. Great story line, much better than Rutgers football.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ole Man Dan

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Thanks, love all the MASH trivia. Radar meets a pretty young nurse, Lt. Patty Havens. He founds out she is from Lancaster, Missouri which is only 100 miles from Ottumwa and they promise to meet after the war. Great story line, much better than Rutgers football.
Henry Blake’s final episode is more uplifting than Rutgers football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Trapper John McIntyre, MD, Princeton '54, by way of Ramsay High School agrees with this second opinion - and also seconds the near-program-long mediocrity of Col. Blake's alma sweater known as the Illini, too.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I cannot think of anything less uplifting than Rutgers football with the possible exception of Vanderbilt football. I have a feeling that the number of fired coaches this season will make a lot of coaches with winning records a ton of extra money. Haves vs The Have Nots.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Probably the best show to ever air on TV.

When I first got out of school, I went to work immediately as a foliage grower in the Apopka area. Living in the back of a house that was boarded off from the main part - just a bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom - saving money. This was in 1977-78 and I watched MASH every night while eating dinner before heading to my second job at Cumberland Farms where I ran the store until 11PM every night.

Those memories stick with you....as they should.

Back to the OP......I was wondering when this thread would pop up again! ;)

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Bazza, before returning to the OP, and given your "growing" matriculation, would you consider it an environmental epithet to rebut a previous poster's Rut slur by saying "Gray Tide eats kimchi!"

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Rumor has it, Butch Jones is high on Rutgers list
With Botch's rebirth beyond his 'Bama internship, we could soon see Rut crowned as Champions of MetLife... who knows, it's easy to visualize the spirit of Jimmy Hoffa helping ol' Botch make the presentation!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Speaking of which, don't ever forget this:

Nutt Turns Down Nebraska

Nutt said he never accepted the job and he was flattered at Nebraska's offer, but that it was best for him to remain at Arkansas. He informed Nebraska officials Friday night that he wasn't taking the job.

"For six long years we've poured our heart into this program, and we feel that our work isn't finished," Nutt said. "I know we can do better. So many times I think we're not far off."

Nebraska offered Nutt the job Friday, but Arkansas made a counteroffer. Details were not announced, but Nutt said the contract was close to $1.5 million per year, which would almost double his salary, with a few more details to be worked out.

They're going to take care of me," Nutt said.

Nebraska athletic director Steve Pederson said Saturday the head coaching job hasn't been offered to anyone yet and that he simply wanted Nutt to come to campus for a formal interview.

Pederson also said that reports Nutt was offered a package worth up to $2.5 million were false.

"I about fell out of my chair when I read that," Pederson said.

Nutt confirmed that there had been no offer on the table.

"He didn't actually ever offer me the job, but I'm protecting him a little bit, too," Nutt said. "Things would have gotten very difficult if I had gotten on that plane."

==================

Roughly translated, Houston Nutt was full of.........

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I love all the MASH references, as it is my favorite TV show. I still watch the reruns every time they’re on!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Rumor has it, Butch Jones is high on Rutgers list
The reality is that historically Rutgers has not been a competitive program and now being in the B1G East even less so. We all know it is about the money from the B1G, but Rutgers would be a better fit in the AAC. As a member of the B1G Rutgers is at best a 6-7 win program. They will battle Maryland and Indiana every year to avoid the cellar.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The reality is that historically Rutgers has not been a competitive program and now being in the B1G East even less so. We all know it is about the money from the B1G, but Rutgers would be a better fit in the AAC. As a member of the B1G Rutgers is at best a 6-7 win program. They will battle Maryland and Indiana every year to avoid the cellar.
The B1G brought in Rutgers for one reason - to get the Big Ten network into the millions of homes in the Northeast. Bringing in Rutgers has been very beneficial, financially, to the conference.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The B1G brought in Rutgers for one reason - to get the Big Ten network into the millions of homes in the Northeast. Bringing in Rutgers has been very beneficial, financially, to the conference.
Yes...and also to be a patsy for the rest of the conference. It's all about the Benjamins and TV viewers...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.