Question: Is it time to change punters?

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I've thought the same thing.
I don't care if the best punter is a QB, or a big burly Linebacker.
I just want someone/anyone who can kick 40 yards.
Maybe someone like Lia could add an additional threat.
Will he pass, or will he kick??
Has anyone seen Tua, or Lia kick?
Wouldn't want to see Tua back there. Can't think of a team that wouldn't mind taking a roughing the kicker penalty for the chance to knock Tua out of the game.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
We don't need a punter that can punt those high 50yrds+ punts..I'd just assume we find someone on the team that can punt those weird low line drive type punts that bounces for 40 - 50yrds.. Surely with all the talent we have on the team one of our players can do that..
I agree TideMan, it seems a lot of teams in the SEC have one of those Australian punters whose kick travels fairly low but does funny things when it hits the ground. Maybe it's time for CNS to find one of them. G'day mate.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I remember when straight ahead place kicking started to go out of fashion and Coach Bryant saying on his weekly show, “We’re going to get us one of those sidewinder kickers.”

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I haven't heard of Jack Martin....I guess because he's a walk on coach puts the scholly players ahead of him or its a waste of a scholarship? Our punting is bad, I guess if it continues Martin will get his shot.

Bernier would be a more consistent chose.
DeLong has to get out of his own head...if he can he would be fine.
Reichard I hope doesn't punt again unless its an absolute necessity.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Let's get the guy from USA to transfer. He hit several over 50 had one for 64 and averaged 45yds last night in 8 punts. Kids got a leg.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
Jack and my son Luke went to school together and have played sports and been friends all their lives :) Jack is most importantly a great kid with a wonderful family that have been bama fans since Jack could walk lol The same in my house :) The great news is for our kicking woes is Jack can boot it!!! He has a great hangtime. Look out for Jack soon ;)

Last edited:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Jack and my son Luke went to school together and have played sports and been friends all their lives :) Jack is most importantly a great kid with a wonderful family that have been bama fans since Jack could walk lol The same in my house :) The great news is for our kicking woes is Jack can boot it!!! He has a great hangtime. Look out for Jack soon ;)
I want to see him get a shot

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Several years ago there was a HS coach who had a tremendous record -- and he never punted. Even when deep in his territory he went for it. Reasoning was that the mathematical odds were better for him to score than to punt the ball back to the other team. Honestly, once we pass our 40, if it is less than 10 yards I would go for it. If we fail and they score, we have saved some time for our offense to score...barring injury (ugh) we can outscore anyone in CFB.
Most coaches don't want to take a chance that Tua will miss a pass or run...

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Great post!!! Not sure how anyone can dislike it??? RTR!!!

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Going to need an explanation there...that’s a 100% nice post...
Doesn't matter if you consider it a 100% nice post. Folks can dislike it. For your sake, one possible reason is the dislike button is right next to the like button, and it was hit by accident.

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
Someone earlier in the thread said, in jest I think, that we should just go for it on 4th down every time. I seriously think we should, unless we're literally on our own goal line, or facing 4th and forever on our side of the field. Knowing that we have four downs to make a first down changes the play calling and the quarterback's decision making on every down. It also places incredible stress on the other team's defense, keeps their defense out on the field longer, and ours less. The additional offensive explosiveness and point production would more than offset the instances of poor field position for our defense that would result. If ever there was a roster for a four down offense, this is it. Couple that with a punter with a slow delivery and unimpressive distance/ hang time, and it seems like something really worth trying.

I have a suspicion that Nick may be thinking something like this as well, but that he wants to save it for LSU, Auburn, or the SECCG. We shall see.:conf3:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
have to give those other guys a shot at some point. I'm sure Delong is right at or near the bottom in punt avg per game. Something like 33-34 yards. has to be mental.
Or Distance-less Leg Syndrome...

But as long as JK Scott's flipping the field for the Packers - and "Long (not De-Long) may that last" - nobody will be forgetting anytime soon that 'Bama once had a real punter who could be a game-changer if needed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.