Question: Is it time to change punters?

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
For my sake, I hope and believe that you are correct.:Joker_PDT_06:

on TideFans.com
Doesn't matter if you consider it a 100% nice post. Folks can dislike it. For your sake, one possible reason is the dislike button is right next to the like button, and it was hit by accident.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
There’s another option other than Jack Martin...

https://alabama.rivals.com/news/meet-the-walk-on-hoping-to-solve-alabama-s-punting-woes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm fine with whomever can give the position some consistency....if its a walk on over a scholly player, so be it. Let Perine punt and Reichard placekick....maybe give some stability for several years.

I'd guess since the kid is a freshman walk on Saban just hasn't put him in over DeLong, who has a scholly and some game experience?

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Now I am just even more confused as to why we continue to go with Delong.
I must admit I'm confused as well.

On one hand, the coaches see all the players all week long, and are paid a lot of money to evaluate talent. Saban is the among the best at that who ever lived. And given our struggles, you have to think he's paying extra attention to this aspect. So my head tells me to trust that they play the best we have.

On the other hand, what could the walk-on kid do? A 16-yard shank? A 30-yard tail-dragger? Slow delivery resulting in a block? We already get all that. So my heart is puzzled as to what we have to lose.

If the status quo is really the best we have, I'd be scouring the intra-mural fields. Surely on a campus of nearly 40,000, somebody can be at least mediocre.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This is what I think as of now: I think walk on get a shot this week. If walk on does well, that's your starting punter going forward and Delong will transfer after the season.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
Someone earlier in the thread said, in jest I think, that we should just go for it on 4th down every time. I seriously think we should, unless we're literally on our own goal line, or facing 4th and forever on our side of the field. Knowing that we have four downs to make a first down changes the play calling and the quarterback's decision making on every down. It also places incredible stress on the other team's defense, keeps their defense out on the field longer, and ours less. The additional offensive explosiveness and point production would more than offset the instances of poor field position for our defense that would result. If ever there was a roster for a four down offense, this is it. Couple that with a punter with a slow delivery and unimpressive distance/ hang time, and it seems like something really worth trying.

I have a suspicion that Nick may be thinking something like this as well, but that he wants to save it for LSU, Auburn, or the SECCG. We shall see.:conf3:
Quote Originally Posted by Jkl0802 View Post
Just don’t punt. Seriously, give Tua 4 downs

I said it and I wasn’t joking (why I said “seriously”). Unless we can get someone to consistently kick for 40-45 yards, I think the outcomes are better to go for a First Down using 4 downs; as you said (and I wholeheartedly agree) knowing you have 4 downs to get 10 yards frees your mind. A couple of 2 or 3 yard runs, or let Tua throw it 4 times??? I’d bet that Alabama can do either or both and net 10 yards...anytime, against anyone. Penalties making the requirement for a first down more than 10 yards, and/or poor field position would require more consideration.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
This part of the article about Perine may explain why he's not had a chance yet in a game:

McCabe said the biggest thing he’s worked on with Perine is consistency. One thing young punters tend to struggle with is overstriding on kicks which takes away from the power they are able to generate. That’s been the root of DeLong’s troubles as the sophomore’s elongated first step has prevented him from connecting with ball at leg lock.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
This part of the article about Perine may explain why he's not had a chance yet in a game:

McCabe said the biggest thing he’s worked on with Perine is consistency. One thing young punters tend to struggle with is overstriding on kicks which takes away from the power they are able to generate. That’s been the root of DeLong’s troubles as the sophomore’s elongated first step has prevented him from connecting with ball at leg lock.
That being said, I still don't see giving Perine a shot as being any worse than what we have now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.