Question: Is it time to change punters?

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
That plus doinks. Sheesh. What’s the record for most hit uprights in a season? I am no lip reader but I think Coach is ready to try something new. Didn’t matter today, but ultimately it will.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I didn't think DeLong could struggle more than last year. He was the 4th ranked punter coming out of high school, amazing how that translates to outside the top 150 in college.

Bo Nix had a 31 yard punt...

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
🦌 in the headlight stare. Saw this in the Marine Corps many times over the years....Some people can do their job and handle intense pressure better than others. In college football, I guess you never know until you put someone on the field in front of 100K folks with 10 screaming monsters running straight at you!

Last edited:

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I would love to see a new punter vs Tennessee and Arkansas. Even if for 1-2 punts total. I don't see Bama having to punt much against either team but if the situation is not handled, punting could be very damaging vs LSU on Nov 9.

I do not want to see LSU start their offense from the 50 yard line each time due to shanks or 25 yard punts. That puts too much stress on the defense.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
I would hope after the way CNS was screaming at DeLong after the second punt he will give someone else a try. Either that or coach thinks it's time for tough love.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
[emoji1662] in the headlight stare. Saw this in the Marine Corps many times over the years....Some people can do their job and handle intense pressure better than others. In college football, I guess you never know until you put someone on the field in front of 100K folks with 10 screaming monsters running straight at you!
Why stop at 10? If I were playing Bama, I wouldn’t even have a punt returner back there. I’d sell out with 11 to block the punt. Even if DeLong gets the punt off, it will only be 30 yards and you don’t need to return it anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I must admit I'm confused as well.

On one hand, the coaches see all the players all week long, and are paid a lot of money to evaluate talent. Saban is the among the best at that who ever lived. And given our struggles, you have to think he's paying extra attention to this aspect. So my head tells me to trust that they play the best we have.

On the other hand, what could the walk-on kid do? A 16-yard shank? A 30-yard tail-dragger? Slow delivery resulting in a block? We already get all that. So my heart is puzzled as to what we have to lose.

If the status quo is really the best we have, I'd be scouring the intra-mural fields. Surely on a campus of nearly 40,000, somebody can be at least mediocre.
OTOH... When I was a freshman in 1957 and playing intramural, Doc Lambert, the basketball coach, came around scouting for players when the roster was so skinny and got several, all from the NYC area. Out of that bunch came two convicted point-shavers - Cohen and Quindazzi...

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I read an espn.com article yesterday (also had video) about Dabo and the Clemson kicker. Apparently Dabo chewed him out on the sideline vs Florida State when he missed a 24 yard field goal (they were ahead 24-0 at the time). The same kicker had missed a 40 yarder in the North Carolina game.

Dabo changed kickers in the second half of the game Saturday and said he was disappointed in his kicker and wanted to give the other guy a chance. The other guy made everything. I thought that was interesting Dabo did that.

I think after Saban yelled at DeLong after that last bad punt, that may have been it for him. I hope the other punters get a chance this weekend.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Was it last year or the year before when the backup punter was Mack Wilson? I really believe any athletic skill position player could punt better than DeLong.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I truly feel bad for the young man. I`m sure than in the kicking camps and high school, and maybe even at practice now, he`s boomed some. I`m struggling, however, to recollect even one " good", much less " great " punt that he`s gotten off.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I read an espn.com article yesterday (also had video) about Dabo and the Clemson kicker. Apparently Dabo chewed him out on the sideline vs Florida State when he missed a 24 yard field goal (they were ahead 24-0 at the time). The same kicker had missed a 40 yarder in the North Carolina game.

Dabo changed kickers in the second half of the game Saturday and said he was disappointed in his kicker and wanted to give the other guy a chance. The other guy made everything. I thought that was interesting Dabo did that.

I think after Saban yelled at DeLong after that last bad punt, that may have been it for him. I hope the other punters get a chance this weekend.
Agreed. The standard thinking is that punting and placekicking are largely mental, so you have those conversations in private, not on the field in front of crowd and teammates. Up to that point, Saban had been really patient with DeLong, at least in public, and had been so for two solid years. When he (Saban) departed from previous handling, my first thought was that the end had finally come.

I truly feel bad for the young man. I`m sure than in the kicking camps and high school, and maybe even at practice now, he`s boomed some. I`m struggling, however, to recollect even one " good", much less " great " punt that he`s gotten off.
I feel bad for him as well. Clearly, it's a mental thing, and I know he's trying his best...maybe trying too hard. But after two years of this, we've gotten to the point that the cause doesn't matter -- we simply have to have better performance out of the position. The fact is that early departures for the NFL and key injuries have taken a huge toll on our D. We just don't have the defense we normally have, and won't until next year.

Point being, the offense has been able to cover up the horrendous punting. Some games we haven't punted at all. In several others, we haven't punted until it late in the game, when the outcome was no longer in doubt. Even with absolutely no pressure to perform, punts look like ones I used to do out on the Quad.

Better defenses await, and some time soon, we're going to need a decent punt, early in the game, from inside our own 35....and we don't have the typical Alabama defense to bail out a 25-yard semi-shank.

There is nothing to make us think that improvement is coming, and we can't jeopardize the efforts of 84 other scholarshipped players simply because we don't want to hurt one player's feelings. Actually, it would be merciful not to put the guy in a truly pressurized situation. As bad as he must feel now, what would his mental state be if a shank set up a TD in a game we ended up losing by less than 7 points?

For the benefit of everyone involved, including the current punter, it's time for a change.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I feel bad for him too. The kid was a great punter in high school, but can't seem to make the mental adjustment to big-time college football. He must still look like the best option in practice or he wouldn't be out there. Reminds me of a pitcher I knew on our team back in college. Great guy, fun to be around, but apparently got psyched out by coaching. Even threw one over the backstop one time. (a true life Nuke Laloosh). Stayed a couple of years, did get a little better, but then left.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

Saving it all for Thirteenessee - remember Saban flipped him from UcheaT all those 29.6 yarders ago, so surely or Shirley, he'll come out booming well into the low 30s TSIO!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.