Republican-Conservative Catch All Thread - Page 4
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Re: Republican-Conservative Catch All Thread

Perhaps we need to split the forum yet again? Have a Non-Sports Trump is Lord No Brain Required Politics Discussion forum and then a regular Non-Sports Politics forum.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBama View Post
    I never said Reagan and GWB were Eisenhower Republicans
    Except for the context in which I wrote that was in regards to the libs here, not that this tactic is anything new on this board.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    In the spirit of fair play, I will make every attempt to keep my comments respectful. I would like to hear your assessment as to why you support Trump, and do you believe he is honest and not guilty of violating the emoluments clause in the Constitution?
    Is this a trick question?

You honestly think a Trumper can defend Trump on a rational basis?

Quote Originally Posted by hollisx4 View Post
    Don't agree at all, Bush Derangement Syndrome was a thing way before Trump got elected.

But hey, thanks for proving my point for me anyway
    I suffered from Bush Derangement Syndrome and posted myself blue-in-the-face opposing his hair-brained decision to invade Iraq. This board was predominately conservative, with a firebrand conservative moderator who enjoyed stirring the pot as much as anyone.

I've noted with a measure of satisfaction that my BDS seems to have become the standard position for a great majority of Americans, who now understand invading Iraq was a gross mistake.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TexasBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Except for the context in which I wrote that was in regards to the libs here, not that this tactic is anything new on this board.
    You wrote one sentence. That's just a little context-thin, even for me. Was your point that balance budgets are some benchmark for republicanism? I don't think I need to go through the balanced budget history with you. We last had a balanced budget when? 1999? And after bleating about balanced budgets for 8 years during Obama the last time a republican mentioned balanced budgets was......?
    Last edited by TexasBama; September 30th, 2019 at 04:02 PM.

If this thread is intended to let conservatives make their arguments maybe one of them will explain how the deficit is always a terrible problem when the Dems are in power, but when the GOP takes over, they no longer care about it, and don't hesitate to make it that much bigger.

I think one of the cons that posted upstream claimed he was pointing out hypocrisy so I do wonder how he could overlook that glaring example.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    If this thread is intended to let conservatives make their arguments maybe one of them will explain how the deficit is always a terrible problem when the Dems are in power, but when the GOP takes over, they no longer care about it, and don't hesitate to make it that much bigger.

I think one of the cons that posted upstream claimed he was pointing out hypocrisy so I do wonder how he could overlook that glaring example.
    It's not really the deficits per se, it's the nature of the spending.

Conservatives would rather see taxes go toward national defense and similar unambiguously constitutional activities, not entitlements and other social spending that has ballooned under the auspices of the general welfare.

Deficit spending is "worth it" when the spending is on their favorite things, similar to how a mortgage is viewed as responsible borrowing, whereas running up credit card debt on expensive shoes is viewed as irresponsible. When the Democrats are in power, they implement things that conservatives see as irresponsible, which might have been more acceptable to them without the debt aspect of it, but even then, they would have preferred to collect less tax in the first place than to spend on something they don't believe is appropriate.

Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    Just trying to start a thread where Republicans can actually post opinions and not get smashed like a Hillary team members Blackberry.
    "Old dog - new tricks"

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Now that is a trick question.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Paul Ryan was a deficit Hawk all through the Obama years. He prided himself on his supposed fiscal responsibility even to the point of prolonging the recession. Then he helps enact legislation that led to a enormous deficit and then he retired. IMO he is a hypocritical jack ass.

You mean kind of like the dems are doing right now?
    Pot meet kettle.

hy∑poc∑ri∑sy

noun
    [COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

Last edited by hollisx4; September 30th, 2019 at 07:36 PM.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by hollisx4 View Post
    You mean kind of like the dems are doing right now?
    Pot meet kettle.

hy∑poc∑ri∑sy
    noun

Just to be explicit, is your issue with how democratic candidates are upset over the trillion dollar hole in the budget due to a tax cut, but are now proposing trillion dollar projects with no real way of paying for them?

Or is there some other context Iím missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    We're going to have insurance for everybody, there was a philosophy in some circles that if you can't pay for it, you don't get it. That's not going to happen with us.They can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better. Source
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan. Source
    Can you guess which quote branded a president as a habitual liar?

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    In the spirit of fair play, I will make every attempt to keep my comments respectful. I would like to hear your assessment as to why you support Trump, and do you believe he is honest and not guilty of violating the emoluments clause in the Constitution?
    I haven't posted much here lately, for the very reasons bamamc1 is citing, and this post is a prime example of why.

bamamc1 posted about Republicans. He said exactly nothing about Donald Trump, Trump's honesty or anything other than Republican opinions.

In the recent past, I have been called out (with some justification) for painting all Democrats with the Occasio-Cortez / Talib / Omar brush. I was quickly reminded that they don't represent all Dems, and told that the only reason I thought that was FoxNews' over-coverage of their off-the-wall positions. But my experience is that Republicans are repeatedly painted with the Trump brush, with no consequences whatsoever for the over-broad characterization.

I'm a lifelong Republican, but I've never been a defender of Donald Trump. Not here, not anywhere. Didn't vote for him or Hillary. Wrote in Nick Saban. Have said that repeatedly in numerous threads. Yet our blue posters often lump me in with the crazies.

This is what is keeping us from having true debate. "If you don't agree with me, you're with the most extreme of the other side, and don't deserve even a modicum of respect." And that's what's happened here.

bamamc1 asks for Republican ideas, and immediately gets accused of believing Donald Trump is honest. How you go from Point A to Point B is beyond me.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.