Republican-Conservative Catch All Thread

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
In the spirit of fair play, I will make every attempt to keep my comments respectful. I would like to hear your assessment as to why you support Trump, and do you believe he is honest and not guilty of violating the emoluments clause in the Constitution?
Is this a trick question?

You honestly think a Trumper can defend Trump on a rational basis?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Don't agree at all, Bush Derangement Syndrome was a thing way before Trump got elected.

But hey, thanks for proving my point for me anyway;)
I suffered from Bush Derangement Syndrome and posted myself blue-in-the-face opposing his hair-brained decision to invade Iraq. This board was predominately conservative, with a firebrand conservative moderator who enjoyed stirring the pot as much as anyone.

I've noted with a measure of satisfaction that my BDS seems to have become the standard position for a great majority of Americans, who now understand invading Iraq was a gross mistake.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Except for the context in which I wrote that was in regards to the libs here, not that this tactic is anything new on this board.
You wrote one sentence. That's just a little context-thin, even for me. Was your point that balance budgets are some benchmark for republicanism? I don't think I need to go through the balanced budget history with you. We last had a balanced budget when? 1999? And after bleating about balanced budgets for 8 years during Obama the last time a republican mentioned balanced budgets was......?

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If this thread is intended to let conservatives make their arguments maybe one of them will explain how the deficit is always a terrible problem when the Dems are in power, but when the GOP takes over, they no longer care about it, and don't hesitate to make it that much bigger.

I think one of the cons that posted upstream claimed he was pointing out hypocrisy so I do wonder how he could overlook that glaring example.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
If this thread is intended to let conservatives make their arguments maybe one of them will explain how the deficit is always a terrible problem when the Dems are in power, but when the GOP takes over, they no longer care about it, and don't hesitate to make it that much bigger.

I think one of the cons that posted upstream claimed he was pointing out hypocrisy so I do wonder how he could overlook that glaring example.
It's not really the deficits per se, it's the nature of the spending.

Conservatives would rather see taxes go toward national defense and similar unambiguously constitutional activities, not entitlements and other social spending that has ballooned under the auspices of the general welfare.

Deficit spending is "worth it" when the spending is on their favorite things, similar to how a mortgage is viewed as responsible borrowing, whereas running up credit card debt on expensive shoes is viewed as irresponsible. When the Democrats are in power, they implement things that conservatives see as irresponsible, which might have been more acceptable to them without the debt aspect of it, but even then, they would have preferred to collect less tax in the first place than to spend on something they don't believe is appropriate.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Now that is a trick question.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Paul Ryan was a deficit Hawk all through the Obama years. He prided himself on his supposed fiscal responsibility even to the point of prolonging the recession. Then he helps enact legislation that led to a enormous deficit and then he retired. IMO he is a hypocritical jack ass.

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.

You mean kind of like the dems are doing right now?
Pot meet kettle.

hy·poc·ri·sy

noun
[COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

Last edited:

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Pot meet kettle.

hy·poc·ri·sy
noun

Just to be explicit, is your issue with how democratic candidates are upset over the trillion dollar hole in the budget due to a tax cut, but are now proposing trillion dollar projects with no real way of paying for them?

Or is there some other context I’m missing?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
In the spirit of fair play, I will make every attempt to keep my comments respectful. I would like to hear your assessment as to why you support Trump, and do you believe he is honest and not guilty of violating the emoluments clause in the Constitution?
I haven't posted much here lately, for the very reasons bamamc1 is citing, and this post is a prime example of why.

bamamc1 posted about Republicans. He said exactly nothing about Donald Trump, Trump's honesty or anything other than Republican opinions.

In the recent past, I have been called out (with some justification) for painting all Democrats with the Occasio-Cortez / Talib / Omar brush. I was quickly reminded that they don't represent all Dems, and told that the only reason I thought that was FoxNews' over-coverage of their off-the-wall positions. But my experience is that Republicans are repeatedly painted with the Trump brush, with no consequences whatsoever for the over-broad characterization.

I'm a lifelong Republican, but I've never been a defender of Donald Trump. Not here, not anywhere. Didn't vote for him or Hillary. Wrote in Nick Saban. Have said that repeatedly in numerous threads. Yet our blue posters often lump me in with the crazies.

This is what is keeping us from having true debate. "If you don't agree with me, you're with the most extreme of the other side, and don't deserve even a modicum of respect." And that's what's happened here.

bamamc1 asks for Republican ideas, and immediately gets accused of believing Donald Trump is honest. How you go from Point A to Point B is beyond me.

• Thank You
Reactions: Jay Hughes

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
as of the most recent gallup poll i could find (sept 3-15), trump is currently at 91% approval with republicans.

maybe some of y'all non-trump republicans who don't like getting lumped in with the trump republicans should be concern trolling and having debates with the folks that drug the republican party into the ditch and are doing their damndest to pull the country along with it.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Just trying to start a thread where Republicans can actually post opinions and not get smashed like a Hillary team members Blackberry.
as of the most recent gallup poll i could find (sept 3-15), trump is currently at 91% approval with republicans.

maybe some of y'all non-trump republicans who don't like getting lumped in with the trump republicans should be concern trolling and having debates with the folks that drug the republican party into the ditch and are doing their damndest to pull the country along with it.
Bazza was right.

Apparently, it's OK to paint with a broad brush if enough people fit the profile the painter wants. Otherwise, don't profile anybody for anything. If you do, you're racist / sexist / Islamophobic / homophobic / ignorant / pick your own abhorrent adjective. Unless there are enough examples of the alternative. In which case, it's a totally understandable oversight. Not enough harm = no foul...so long, of course, as you agree with me.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I haven't posted much here lately, for the very reasons bamamc1 is citing, and this post is a prime example of why.

bamamc1 posted about Republicans. He said exactly nothing about Donald Trump, Trump's honesty or anything other than Republican opinions.

In the recent past, I have been called out (with some justification) for painting all Democrats with the Occasio-Cortez / Talib / Omar brush. I was quickly reminded that they don't represent all Dems, and told that the only reason I thought that was FoxNews' over-coverage of their off-the-wall positions. But my experience is that Republicans are repeatedly painted with the Trump brush, with no consequences whatsoever for the over-broad characterization.

I'm a lifelong Republican, but I've never been a defender of Donald Trump. Not here, not anywhere. Didn't vote for him or Hillary. Wrote in Nick Saban. Have said that repeatedly in numerous threads. Yet our blue posters often lump me in with the crazies.

This is what is keeping us from having true debate. "If you don't agree with me, you're with the most extreme of the other side, and don't deserve even a modicum of respect." And that's what's happened here.

bamamc1 asks for Republican ideas, and immediately gets accused of believing Donald Trump is honest. How you go from Point A to Point B is beyond me.
I mean, Trump is the head of the Republican party and holds almost universal approval among admitted Republicans. The same relationship does not hold true with AOC and the Democrats, so that's a silly comparison.

If you're an anti-Trump Republican, you're in the minority. Which is fine, of course, but it does not follow that this should be assumed, so I think your complaint rings a bit hollow.

As usual, cbi is the only one posting conservative discussion points while everyone else is too busy clutching pearls about the social injustice of belonging to a party led by a madman. If Trump does not represent your conservative values, I think that's what this thread is actually about.

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
I mean, Trump is the head of the Republican party and holds almost universal approval among admitted Republicans. The same relationship does not hold true with AOC and the Democrats, so that's a silly comparison.

If you're an anti-Trump Republican, you're in the minority. Which is fine, of course, but it does not follow that this should be assumed, so I think your complaint rings a bit hollow.

As usual, cbi is the only one posting conservative discussion points while everyone else is too busy clutching pearls about the social injustice of belonging to a party led by a madman. If Trump does not represent your conservative values, I think that's what this thread is actually about.
So 4Q BC posts a well reasoned (IMO) and thoughtful post.

The dim's take this from it.....

italics are mine:biggrin:

that's a silly comparison---your opinion is stupid
I think your complaint rings a bit hollow--your'e not genuine
I think that's what this thread is actually about--your'e an idiot for not seeing things my way

So tell me again how this board isn't a libtard echo chamber.....:biggrin2:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Pot meet kettle.

hy·poc·ri·sy

noun
[COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

Let's look at the contrast between what we both posted.

I mentioned someone was fussing about hypocrisy, and I was specific in exactly what I was talking about (the deficit) when I pointed out what I thought was hypocritical. (as an aside, I'll mention that hypocrisy was condemned in the Bible 23 times.)

I thought you might address the specific example I brought up, or at least be specific about what you thought Dems were being hypocritical about, if you didn't want to defend the GOP position on the deficit.

Instead, you fell back on the old "I'm rubber and you're glue, what you say bounces off me and sticks to you!"

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Let's look at the contrast between what we both posted.

I mentioned someone was fussing about hypocrisy, and I was specific in exactly what I was talking about (the deficit) when I pointed out what I thought was hypocritical. (as an aside, I'll mention that hypocrisy was condemned in the Bible 23 times.)

I thought you might address the specific example I brought up, or at least be specific about what you thought Dems were being hypocritical about, if you didn't want to defend the GOP position on the deficit.

Instead, you fell back on the old "I'm rubber and you're glue, what you say bounces off me and sticks to you!"
you must be new here

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Bazza was right.

Apparently, it's OK to paint with a broad brush if enough people fit the profile the painter wants. Otherwise, don't profile anybody for anything. If you do, you're racist / sexist / Islamophobic / homophobic / ignorant / pick your own abhorrent adjective. Unless there are enough examples of the alternative. In which case, it's a totally understandable oversight. Not enough harm = no foul...so long, of course, as you agree with me.
My opinion: My thought after reading your posts in this thread is you haven't come to grips with how the current form of the GOP is nothing like the traditional GOP you've identified with over the years. You haven't left the Republican party (yet) but the GOP has left people like you behind in the rear view mirror.

You just can't bring yourself to vote Dem. I do thank you for having the integrity to not vote for Trump when he was running.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.