Fair Pay to Play Act Signed into Law in CA - Page 2
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: Fair Pay to Play Act Signed into Law in CA

Quote Originally Posted by lowend View Post
    How long until a Title IX lawsuit gets filed for gender descrimination? If you pay the football players, you have to pay all the athletes?
    Nonsense. Please read the article. This is for endorsement deals only. Title IX has nothing to do with it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by lowend View Post
    How long until a Title IX lawsuit gets filed for gender descrimination? If you pay the football players, you have to pay all the athletes?
    The law is about the right to profit from their likeness. This is not employment. It is a guarantee of an implicit right every other person has in the marketplace.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    If you believe in free market capitalism then don't dust this topic's doors shouting about how this is bad.

Most just don't like this because it is possibly an existential threat to a bastardized developmental/farm league structure for pro football that has been hoisted upon the collegiate system so billionaires don't have to assume the risk of developing skill in a dangerous, violent job. So be it. If these changes end high-level revenue sports but properly pays those assuming the most risk then I'm for it. It might make Alabama become a program full of 2 or 3 star kids from Aliceville and Fayette who value the degree more than the commanding heights of the NFL farm league gamble but it will solve so many more issues in the process. The 100 dollar hand shakes and cars will be over because the only kids playing college football are there for the college not the football. The kids who need inducements to play at a place will be gambling their bodies in the NFL farm system.
    you speak like my brother-in-law who thinks men never landed on the moon and 911 was an inside job.

Here's a solution you and I could probably agree with, remove the age limitation to the NFL, just let them go straight for the paycheck, Let the NFL expand their taxi squad to accommodate a few extra developmental players and then the "normal" players can do it the old fashioned way and get a degree while they play.

And for those who say they are not physically ready.... you're just not paying attention. These guys are coming out of HS ready.
    BS 1989

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Note: I'm really trying to not be political about this but it is really hard because it is kinda extrinsically tied to what we should consider basic rights a person has in the market. I think the NCAA has greatly overstepped their bounds and have for generations w/r/t this specific, narrow issue. The "are they laborers entitled to greater compensation?" argument is much more complicated and frankly the schools do give several forms of compensation to the student athlete such as cost of living adjustments, stipends, subsistence, housing, and tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post
    Here's a solution you and I could probably agree with, remove the age limitation to the NFL, just let them go straight for the paycheck,
    Thats on the NFL, not the NCAA.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaFlum's Avatar

The law is about the right to profit from their likeness. This is not employment. It is a guarantee of an implicit right every other person has in the marketplace.
    And like the post above, in the political climate in which we live, someone will cry unfair. The poor kid that doesn’t have a deal for his or her likeness will claim some type of discrimination. Maybe the coach only plays the “paid” athletes undermining any chance the “unpaid” player has at making it to the next level. It will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RTR!

So, if Bill Gates want's to pay 22 athletes 5m a year to represent Microsoft while going to USC, that's all cool?

Note: I'm really trying to not be political about this but it is really hard because it is kinda extrinsically tied to what we should consider basic rights a person has in the market. I think the NCAA has greatly overstepped their bounds and have for generations w/r/t this specific, narrow issue. The "are they laborers entitled to greater compensation?" argument is much more complicated and frankly the schools do give several forms of compensation to the student athlete such as cost of living adjustments, stipends, subsistence, housing, and tuition.
    Hey, I'm all for it - I guarantee it will simply let the rich get richer wrt premier talent. The disparity between the Alabamas, Georgias, and Clempsons and the rest of the NCAA will only grow.

Win / win.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post
    you speak like my brother-in-law who thinks men never landed on the moon and 911 was an inside job.

Here's a solution you and I could probably agree with, remove the age limitation to the NFL, just let them go straight for the paycheck, Let the NFL expand their taxi squad to accommodate a few extra developmental players and then the "normal" players can do it the old fashioned way and get a degree while they play.

And for those who say they are not physically ready.... you're just not paying attention. These guys are coming out of HS ready.
    I don't think the way this system developed was necessarily designed or intentional but because it was undesigned from the outset - not seeing how this sport would develop in terms of television revenue - the result has been one that benefits the powerful. I agree. The NFL should be forced to develop the talent and college should just be for people who want to get an education while playing a sport they love. Instead they're pushing the development onto the colleges because the injury risk is so high in this sport they don't want to risk injuring an asset before they're ready to play in the big leagues.

Edit: And note, now colleges are getting heat to compensate these players because billionaire owners in the NFL don't want to take on this developmental onus.
    Last edited by rgw; September 30th, 2019 at 02:06 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bidgood View Post
    So, if Bill Gates want's to pay 22 athletes 5m a year to represent Microsoft while going to USC, that's all cool?
    That is one of the issues - the biggest issue

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I reckon it would probably be University of Washington getting the boon of Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos paid commercial representation though.

BamaNation All-American RammerJammer15's Avatar

Anything to cut out the bagmen, I’m all for it.

It will also hopefully cut out instances where players get suspended for making money off their autograph which is the biggest load of garbage ever.

BamaNation First Team

This will destroy college football. It will make the team salary disparity in MLB look like a level playing field. These endorsement deals will be the death of the sport as we know it. Phil Knight will be able to buy championships. He will just do multi million dollar deals with players to use their "likeness". That will just about wrap it up as a sport. I don't want to see it happen because I love college football, and I don't want to see it change. I also have a libertarian bent to me as well. This means I get that the player's should be able to profit, but this type of profit will cause the end of the sport as we know it. You will have to have Nike, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft level boosters to give these endorsement deals. That destroys everything. Enjoy the next couple of years, and then prepare for massive change and possibly the end of the sport totally. I see a European soccer style developmental system coming. It's been a good run boys. Savor what we have now.