Fair Pay to Play Act Signed into Law in CA - Page 4
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Re: Fair Pay to Play Act Signed into Law in CA

Had the NCAA simply allowed scholarship athletes a stipend to cover extra expenses this would be a non-issue. That said, is there anything California can't screw up?

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FF4bama View Post
    Had the NCAA simply allowed scholarship athletes a stipend to cover extra expenses this would be a non-issue. That said, is there anything California can't screw up?
    They did, and most schools have implemented it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

So does Jalen Waddle get a cut of all "17" Jerseys that Bama Sells? Or everytime ESPN puts our Helmet on the screen?
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    So does Jalen Waddle get a cut of all "17" Jerseys that Bama Sells? Or everytime ESPN puts our Helmet on the screen?
    This is not connected in any way to the current change being discussed, but who can know what the future holds.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by lowend View Post
    How long until a Title IX lawsuit gets filed for gender descrimination? If you pay the football players, you have to pay all the athletes?
    I donít think this is about the schools paying players, itís about players being able to cash in on their own names.

Think if the money Tua could have made through endorsements in the last 2 years.

If Golden Flake wants to pay him, thatís a private business deal between consenting parties and the school and Title IX have nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Wow, and since 2015! Guess I haven't been paying attention very well.

Blue font? If not...You serious, Clark?
    Quote Originally Posted by FF4bama View Post

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    And let's be honest. It wouldn't have mattered the number they would have put on the stipend. Would it have made any of this current topic go away? When/if this current legislation is passed on a national level and players begin to profit from it. Will that satisfy the beast? Nope. It's like the lyrics in a Kenny Chesney song that perfectly describes human nature:

'Cause you and Tequila make me crazy
    Run like poison in my blood
    One more night could kill me, baby
    One is one too many, one more is never enough
    "More" will never be enough. LOL! For the record. I'm not saying the current format doesn't need changing. I'm just saying if anyone thinks letting players make money (privately) from their popularity is going to end this topic and everything is going to look the same on the field. They are gravely mistaken.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; September 30th, 2019 at 04:21 PM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American RammerJammer15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    That’s not how endorsements work

BamaNation All-American RammerJammer15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    And let's be honest. It wouldn't have mattered the number they would have put on the stipend. Would it have made any of this current topic go away? When/if this current legislation is passed on a national level and players begin to profit from it. Will that satisfy the beast? Nope. It's like the lyrics in a Kenny Chesney song that perfectly describes human nature:

"More" will never be enough. LOL! For the record. I'm not saying the current format doesn't need changing. I'm just saying if anyone thinks letting players make money (privately) from their popularity is going to end this topic and everything is going to look the same on the field. They are gravely mistaken.
    It wonít end the topic but its a step in the right direction, better to do something than to not do it at all.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post

Hardly anyone in this country seems to want to curb the capitalistic enthusiasm of businesses so what gives about wanting to curb similar enthusiasm from labor?
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Hardly anyone in this country seems to want to curb the capitalistic enthusiasm of businesses so what gives about wanting to curb similar enthusiasm from labor?
    If we are being honest, the NCAA opened the door for this by exploiting players and making big bucks by getting in bed with EA and ESPN.

What I find funny is that so many are against high school players going to places like the XFL instead of college as a route to the pros, and always signaling that college football is THE semi pro league. But any step to ACTUALLY make it a semi pro league, everyone goes crazy and starts to point out stipends, education, and insurance benefits that are given to these players.

I think without a true alternative to college football, something has to change to reflect what college football is.... a semi pro league.

Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    I don’t think this is about the schools paying players, it’s about players being able to cash in on their own names.

Think if the money Tua could have made through endorsements in the last 2 years.

If Golden Flake wants to pay him, that’s a private business deal between consenting parties and the school and Title IX have nothing to do with it.
    I am not a lawyer but I think lowend has a point. It will be just a matter of time when a popular women's basketball player, softball player will contest the legality of them not getting paid for any publicity using their names.
    "May the Tide Be with You"