Fair Pay to Play Act Signed into Law in CA - Page 5
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: Fair Pay to Play Act Signed into Law in CA

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post

I think without a true alternative to college football, something has to change to reflect what college football is.... a semi pro league.
    At the P5 level, which is why the P5 schools need to break away from the NCAA and form their own league.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I don't have a problem with this - in the abstract - but I can't imagine this is going work the way anyone intends.

Smart businesses will hedge their bets and avoid endorsements until a player has proved himself. Will there be contracts? They're almost certainly to be framed in a way that it protects the business - and who can blame them? What happens when a guy falls off in performance? Is he going to lose the endorsement?

And how will we distinguish between an endorsement and a wealthy booster simply paying a player?

And this doesn't even tough on the disparity between freshmen/seniors on the one hand, and also between linemen and skill players.

Can someone who understands the business community in the Tuscaloosa-Birmingham corridor explain how this might work in our case? I mean, Nike might do something with Tua or the WR corps - but what's the market value of someone else? Who pays it? Most local businesses would have a limited ROI in letting these guys do ads. The market for paid photos and autographs has to be limited, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamoss2 View Post
    I am not a lawyer but I think lowend has a point. It will be just a matter of time when a popular women's basketball player, softball player will contest the legality of them not getting paid for any publicity using their names.
    Then what is to keep me from suing for some of this money? I mean, why do I need to do anything to earn money for these companies to demand a share?

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Hardly anyone in this country seems to want to curb the capitalistic enthusiasm of businesses so what gives about wanting to curb similar enthusiasm from labor?
    As I stated in my post. I'm not saying the current format doesn't need to be changed. Just pointing out there will never be a "fix". It will ultimately be just like the constant tug of war between players' unions and the owners we see in professional sports. I just don't know what will change to the college football we're watching on tv today once this takes hold and no one knows what all directions this will take the sport or what "Alabama Football" will look like 10 years from now.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    I don't have a problem with this - in the abstract - but I can't imagine this is going work the way anyone intends.

Smart businesses will hedge their bets and avoid endorsements until a player has proved himself. Will there be contracts? They're almost certainly to be framed in a way that it protects the business - and who can blame them? What happens when a guy falls off in performance? Is he going to lose the endorsement?

And how will we distinguish between an endorsement and a wealthy booster simply paying a player?

And this doesn't even tough on the disparity between freshmen/seniors on the one hand, and also between linemen and skill players.

Can someone who understands the business community in the Tuscaloosa-Birmingham corridor explain how this might work in our case? I mean, Nike might do something with Tua or the WR corps - but what's the market value of someone else? Who pays it? Most local businesses would have a limited ROI in letting these guys do ads. The market for paid photos and autographs has to be limited, as well.
    All of this is why CA included the agents in the law. Players will need someone with experience to help them protect their interests in this business endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    As I stated in my post. I'm not saying the current format doesn't need to be changed. Just pointing out there will never be a "fix". It will ultimately be just like the constant tug of war between players' unions and the owners we see in professional sports. I just don't know what will change to the college football we're watching on tv today once this takes hold and no one knows what all directions this will take the sport or what "Alabama Football" will look like 10 years from now.
    See, this actually moved the ball to a completely different arena. Before it was schools vs. players. This allows players to work outside of the school construct. Any issues here would be resolved within that new construct.

Sure, the school/player relationship will change, but it is already changing. This can't be blamed for that. The $$$ being made across the country in the sport is the real culprit. When so many people are making money, you can expect the players to want some way of cashing in. This allows them to do that without changing the financial impact on schools which might not be able to afford greater player expenses. This might actually save the sport that we love, for a little while anyway.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    See, this actually moved the ball to a completely different arena. Before it was schools vs. players. This allows players to work outside of the school construct. Any issues here would be resolved within that new construct.

Sure, the school/player relationship will change, but it is already changing. This can't be blamed for that. The $$$ being made across the country in the sport is the real culprit. When so many people are making money, you can expect the players to want some way of cashing in. This allows them to do that without changing the financial impact on schools which might not be able to afford greater player expenses. This might actually save the sport that we love, for a little while anyway.
    Of all the things that may come out of this. This is probably not going to be one of them. LOL!
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    All of this is why CA included the agents in the law. Players will need someone with experience to help them protect their interests in this business endeavor.
    And that's fine - but it doesn't answer the question of what happens when high-quality players who not at the level of Tua/Jalen/etc are left in the lurch.

Everyone makes the argument that this is simply the market in action, and that's true enough, but markets are often hard to predict. It could take quite a long while to sort this out, and it's hard for me to imagine that it will work in the way everyone hopes.

BamaNation First Team

You can "worst case scenario" this thing to death. The problem is that the worst case scenarios are pretty dang scary.

For example, This will trickle down to the high school and lower levels. There are kids on youtube who are getting big sponsorship bucks for playing a video game with certain controllers and using certain computer components. It is not too far a stretch to imagine an 8th grader who shows out at these 7 on 7 tourneys and camps signing with a sponsor. It really can't be called amateur sports at this point.

Again, the worst case scenarios are certainly bothersome. But at least we can feel pretty confident that CNS has a team already working on the possible ramifications and how we can stay on top of them. Of course, with the way he feels about agents and such, having to deal with agents during recruiting might just be the one thing that pushes him to retir- nevermind. Ain't even gonna think it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Of all the things that may come out of this. This is probably not going to be one of them. LOL!
    I don't want to watch college football without the Tuas of the world participating, and this allows them to stay in the game.

I am not a lawyer but I think lowend has a point. It will be just a matter of time when a popular women's basketball player, softball player will contest the legality of them not getting paid for any publicity using their names.
    Who are they gonna sue? They'd have to prove the school and/or the NCAA worked to thwart that player's ability to earn the extra income.

Good luck.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by Bama 8Ball View Post
    You can "worst case scenario" this thing to death. The problem is that the worst case scenarios are pretty dang scary.

For example, This will trickle down to the high school and lower levels. There are kids on youtube who are getting big sponsorship bucks for playing a video game with certain controllers and using certain computer components. It is not too far a stretch to imagine an 8th grader who shows out at these 7 on 7 tourneys and camps signing with a sponsor. It really can't be called amateur sports at this point.

Again, the worst case scenarios are certainly bothersome. But at least we can feel pretty confident that CNS has a team already working on the possible ramifications and how we can stay on top of them. Of course, with the way he feels about agents and such, having to deal with agents during recruiting might just be the one thing that pushes him to retir- nevermind. Ain't even gonna think it.
    I guess I'm one of the few who wonders why some of you are hung up on the amateur status of athletics.

Why should we care if an 8th grader is making money from his talent and hard work? If the kid started and operated a landscaping business making $1 million annually everyone would congratulate him (I knew a kid who did this in Orlando), but if he puts in the effort to have that value placed on him for his athletic ability that's bad?
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation All-American

Iím a lawyer and I donít think theyíd have any cognizable action.

It would be like me suing your boss for not giving me a job.

If itís between the player and the business and the arrangement doesnít use any protected material (such as copyrighted material and so on) neither the university nor the NCAA has any involvement or duty to anyone involved any more than the university has a say in what students dominoes hires to deliver pizzas.

No offense to the female basketball player but itís no oneís fault if no private business is interested in her endorsing products or whatever...thatís the free market making decisions...not the school or the NCAA.
    Last edited by davefrat; September 30th, 2019 at 05:54 PM.