Fair Pay to Play Act Signed into Law in CA - Page 6
Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Re: Fair Pay to Play Act Signed into Law in CA

Quote Originally Posted by bamamoss2 View Post
    I am not a lawyer but I think lowend has a point. It will be just a matter of time when a popular women's basketball player, softball player will contest the legality of them not getting paid for any publicity using their names.
    Don’t confuse what EA was doing with what Nike does with the number 17.

BamaNation First Team

Here's what will happen that isn't being discussed. These boosters own businesses and can start businesses. They then give endorsement deals to these athletes. This is how the boosters replace the "bag man" with a legal way to pay the players, and the bigger the pockets of your boosters the bigger the money you can offer to these 18 year old kids. I won't blame them for taking the money, but recruiting will become just a game of which booster club has the bigger check book.

Phil Knight: You come to Oregon and I'll give you a $1,000,000 endorsement deal with Nike.

Athlete: Where do I sign.

This is what will happen. It will be a recruiting tool.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigjue24 View Post
    Here's what will happen that isn't being discussed. These boosters own businesses and can start businesses. They then give endorsement deals to these athletes. This is how the boosters replace the "bag man" with a legal way to pay the players, and the bigger the pockets of your boosters the bigger the money you can offer to these 18 year old kids. I won't blame them for taking the money, but recruiting will become just a game of which booster club has the bigger check book.

Phil Knight: You come to Oregon and I'll give you a $1,000,000 endorsement deal with Nike.

This is the only legitimate concern, but it is happening today, so let's bring it out into the sunshine.

What is probably going to happen is the P5 will break away and establish a Cap room limit that is closely monitored and strictly enforced. The NCAA has lost a lot of power in the past 10 years and has become a puppet power.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    This is the only legitimate concern, but it is happening today, so let's bring it out into the sunshine.
    The difference is now it will become an arms race. Out in the open it could get crazy. I'm more for the NFL having a developmental system like the NBDL.

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    What is probably going to happen is the P5 will break away and establish a Cap room limit.
    Not sure that would be legal without the consent of the players.

The difference is now it will become an arms race. Out in the open it could get crazy. I'm more for the NFL having a developmental system like the NBDL.
    It is already an arms race. Seriously, this has been going on longer than I have been alive. Remember Bryant passing the boot while he was at aTm?

Not sure that would be legal without the consent of the players.
    There is a reason to why this bill won’t go into law until 2023. I think the intent is to totally challenge the NCAA’s power in court because the NCAA can’t remain silent for the next 3 years and remain in power.

I kinda feel that the days of the NCAA control over major college sports are coming to an end.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I guess I'm one of the few who wonders why some of you are hung up on the amateur status of athletics.

Why should we care if an 8th grader is making money from his talent and hard work? If the kid started and operated a landscaping business making $1 million annually everyone would congratulate him (I,knew a kid who did this in Orlando), but if he puts in the effort to have that value placed on him for his athletic ability that's bad?
    Bazza?
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by lowend View Post
    How long until a Title IX lawsuit gets filed for gender descrimination? If you pay the football players, you have to pay all the athletes?
    It will be tested, and won in court. SO... A Prima Donna system will be in effect for every sport. High dollar Golf, Wrestling Team ect.
    This will encompass more than Football.

BamaNation All-American

This will be tested in the courts, but I expect it to stand up. If other states do not get on board, CA schools will gain a huge recruiting advantage in a few years. Will other states join CA and force the NCAA to capitulate?

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...r-pay-play-act
    I hate it!

This will be the beginning of the end of CFB as we know it. It will be a Minor NFL when it is all said and done...and I hate the NFL. Back in the sixties and seventies, a player would prety much play his entire career with the same team and I loved it as a fan! When it became all about the money and highest bidder, it got to the point that I couldn't care less about the NFL. We have already seen the start of Free Agency started with the Transfer Portal...

Why does California feel like they have to dictate the standards for everywhere else? This is about to get political and I will now recuse myself from the rest of this reply...

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaFlum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Who are they gonna sue? They'd have to prove the school and/or the NCAA worked to thwart that player's ability to earn the extra income.

Good luck.
    I said this earlier. What happens when a coach plays the “paid” player over the “unpaid” player limiting the latter’s exposure? Then the “unpaid” player sues.

Also, what about a university giving more “attention” to sports that have “paid” athletes to increase the university’s exposure? Then you would have a title IX case.

I’m sorry, but this is insane. There is absolutely no way to regulate this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RTR!

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I've seen people say this before but I think you're kidding yourself if you think these players have no value outside the context of their schools.
    Would like to hear thoughts in regards to this question - how many players, legitimately, could have signed endorsement deals over the summer? I'd say three players - Tua, Jalen and Trevor Lawrence. Why break the system over a handful of players when there's over 10,000 FBS players?

I think most people are really misjudging how much money will be thrown at high school players if this passes. A high school player is 3 years away from becoming eligible for the NFL draft. Phil Knight, or whoever, is not going to throw millions at 18 year olds when the success rate of the player panning out is way less than 50%..