Fair Pay to Play Act Signed into Law in CA

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
My comment: how can a team play with ONE heart beat like Coach Bryant wanted, if some are getting something that OTHERS are NOT. Jealousy and Greed will be uncontrollable. Will linemen NOT want to block for a $$$$$$$$ QB or RB. Will a LB be irritated because a $$$$$$$$$$ CB is getting more than him? Hmmmmm, if I leave this maniac LB unblocked so that he can plant my QB under the turf, will I get more or less? Hmmmm will he get more or less? Will he give me some of what he's got $$$$$$$$$$$ so I will BLOCK for him?
Is that how it works in professional sports?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think the issue is that there is no alternative path to the NFL than college football. With the age restriction to the NFL in which the NCAA and NFL agreed on there really isn’t a true amateur distinction anymore. If the XFL is granted the 18 year old threshold and is proven to be a success then I believe a lot of control will be given back to the NCAA.
You could very well be correct, and I hope you are. I would love to see real student athletes represent my university and have the money and corruption all go to the pros, whether that be minor leagues or NFL. It will be interesting to see what happens when it all shakes out in the wash.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You could very well be correct, and I hope you are. I would love to see real student athletes represent my university and have the money and corruption all go to the pros, whether that be minor leagues or NFL. It will be interesting to see what happens when it all shakes out in the wash.
You can watch that now - the Ivy League schools. The product is really, really weak. I think that I would rather go fishing.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
We will never see NCAA Football for the PS4 or Xbox again! :pDT_yel: on TideFans.com

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
But why would you? It is your money. If you want to pay Tua to sit in your yard, why can't you - and why can't he take that money?
That's not "making money off your likeness" and you know it. If Tuscaloosa Chevrolet wants to put Jalen Waddle in a commercial and pay him $10,000, I'm fine with that. Allowing boosters to just write checks is something else altogether.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
That's not "making money off your likeness" and you know it. If Tuscaloosa Chevrolet wants to put Jalen Waddle in a commercial and pay him $10,000, I'm fine with that. Allowing boosters to just write checks is something else altogether.
Boosters can use the endorsement likeness idea to just write checks. A lawyer could pay Waddle any amount he wants to be on a billboard or a newspaper ad for his or her law firm. It is equivalent to sitting in the yard. Guys like Phil Knight and Nike can do this for Oregon on an unthinkable level.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
That’s not how endorsements work
It’s about cashing in on their likeness, is it not?

Define likeness?

If Waddle’s helmet is 17 - can he not make a legal argument that every time that helmet is shown he should get paid?

Even though we all know what the 17 stands for - could he not make a case ?

And if the answer is “no”, then why should he be punished because his helmet is the only number that can’t.

Just saying. I get it’s a stretch. But isn’t everything a stretch these days?

As much as I love Bama - if this kills football, so be it. At least we had the last dynasty.

Last edited:

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
This will make life interesting and probably disruptive in the locker room, and for the transfer portal. What's next - trades?
I don't understand how this is continuous improvement and don't care that a lot of people agree with the law.
And I don't know if three years is long enough to sort out all the issues and questions that will surface.
College football players, with the help of the agents, will then want a players union . . . and college football as we know it will be a memory.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It’s about cashing in on their likeness, is it not?

Define likeness?

If Waddle’s helmet is 17 - can he not make a legal argument that every time that helmet is shown he should get paid?

Even though we all know what the 17 stands for - could he not make a case ?

And if the answer is “no”, then why should he be punished because his helmet is the only number that can’t.

Just saying. I get it’s a stretch. But isn’t everything a stretch these days?

As much as I love Bama - if this kills football, so be it. At least we had the last dynasty.
no waddle wouldn’t have a chance unless they started making a waddle specific Jersey or something similar. He doesn’t own the #17. Nike and the University of Alabama does.

The reason EA got busted for “likeness” was because they went from using generic player models to models that were crafted to look like the players that were currently playing, and some former players without their consent. That is why “likeness” was used in the o’bannon trial. It had nothing to do with the number on his jersey.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
no waddle wouldn’t have a chance unless they started making a waddle specific Jersey or something similar. He doesn’t own the #17. Nike and the University of Alabama does.

The reason EA got busted for “likeness” was because they went from using generic player models to models that were crafted to look like the players that were currently playing, and some former players without their consent. That is why “likeness” was used in the o’bannon trial. It had nothing to do with the number on his jersey.
And if you think it will stop at logic and common sense you are wrong. Mary and Johns who sit on juries love giving away a company’s money. This is just the beginning. It won’t end well

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This will not end well.

I thought it was a travesty that they took Thorpe's gold medal away.
I thought it was unfair when American Olympians had to compete against compensated professionals.
I was for stipends.

Heck, I didn't even want to extend the college football season (ironically some of the same people arguing that these guys are taken advantage of were all for making them play more games). Having said all that, I reiterate that this won't end well.

Amateur sports exist in an environment where they are funded by people who love the sport. There's a reason more people cram into some college stadiums than many NFL stadiums, there's a reason so much money is donated. There's an entire support structure that exists in this environment. Contrast that with semi-professional sports and you'll see a lot of empty seats and bankruptcy.

Of course California is pushing this, their schools have lost relevancy, and they see it as another way to push a progressive agenda. The bill was signed with someone who never played college sports in his life standing next to the Governor. Think about that. That's kind of where this is headed, to simply undo college sports as we know it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
California isn't pushing this. Many states are putting forward similar bills, including South Carolina. Yeah, Clemson is in SC. Is football in SC irrelevant?

I don't mind that folks are opposed to this, but slippery slope arguments don't carry any weight. They imagine the worst while ignoring the possibility that change might actually create improvement. They substitute straw men for real debate.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
California isn't pushing this. Many states are putting forward similar bills, including South Carolina. Yeah, Clemson is in SC. Is football in SC irrelevant?

I don't mind that folks are opposed to this, but slippery slope arguments don't carry any weight. They imagine the worst while ignoring the possibility that change might actually create improvement. They substitute straw men for real debate.
I struggle with this - change might actually create improvements.

How?

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I don't see how there could be any competition, some would say it's not that competitive now. I'd agree, but there are about 10 teams every year that have a realistic shot and different teams come in and out of that group and the mostly eliminate themselves till the end. Outside of that group though you've got the occasional spoilers. If this law goes national I think it would be far worse. You'd probably have between 3 and 1 team that will be competing for the championship, those teams would likely never change, and spoilers wouldn't exist.

What's more I'm pretty sure Nick Saban will retire if this becomes a reality. He quit pro ball for a reason.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And if you think it will stop at logic and common sense you are wrong. Mary and Johns who sit on juries love giving away a company’s money. This is just the beginning. It won’t end well
You do realize you can appeal up to SCOTUS which isn’t a jury trial, and almost always rules in favor of the law of the land over emotional judgment. I think you fear too much and don’t see the long road of appeals that would eventually overrule a jury that is probably unfamiliar with the law.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I struggle with this - change might actually create improvements.

How?
Off the top of my head:

*By taking the next step in the elimination of the NCAA - or at least in its transformation into something less corrupt.
*By taking everything that is already happening and bringing it out into the light (players getting paid).
*By creating an environment in which players might actually stay for their 4th year instead of leaving early for the draft because they can get paid openly instead of risking everything in hopes of being drafted (remember, many who leave early do not get drafter or make NFL teams). This helps the schools and the players.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.