Fair Pay to Play Act Signed into Law in CA

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The law, which is scheduled to go into effect in January 2023, does not require schools to pay athletes directly as employees. Instead, it makes it illegal for schools to prevent an athlete from earning money by selling the rights to his or her name, image or likeness to outside bidders.The law also allows for college athletes to hire a licensed agent to represent them.

The bill was amended several times, including a recent provision that prevents athletes from signing endorsement deals that conflict with their team's sponsors. For example, a basketball player could not wear Nike products during team events if he or she plays for a school that is sponsored by Under Armour.
This will be tested in the courts, but I expect it to stand up. If other states do not get on board, CA schools will gain a huge recruiting advantage in a few years. Will other states join CA and force the NCAA to capitulate?

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...-gov-gavin-newsom-signs-law-fair-pay-play-act

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Nearly 4 years to test-case and effectively establish the execution of the law if it survives. I don't fault this at all. Free marketplace of ideas, etc.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If it survives in the courts, other states will follow along expeditiously.
If other states wait, they will be too late. Recruits won't wait until 2023 for this to impact their decisions. It won't impact this class, and maybe not next year, but it will begin to have an impact before 2023.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I fail to see how they've screwed anything up. They gave this plenty of time to be figured out in terms of execution and also be tested in the court systems. A lot of people agree with the crux of what this law allows...

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
While I am not against the idea they are attempting to address, This will likely result in a number of unintended consequences. Without worrying about who can do what, we all know that if one state allows it all states will allow it and the NCAA has zero gonads so it will do nothing but suck its thumb and chant in the corner.

It will create a class system of players making the $$$ and those who do not. Linemen for instance, nobody wants them to represent their product unless you're selling a buffet restaurant. Not going to be good for the teams or the experience of college football.

You think it's hard to tell a 19 year old what to do now? wait till they have an agent and endorsement deals.

These deals will likely be initially related to their recruiting rankings so you'll have a 5 star player who hasn't played a down of college football come walking in the building wearing gold chains and driving his sports car with a few chicks and an entourage in tow. Good luck ever telling him to run laps.

Teams who have historically payed players and gotten away with it *Cough*** Auburn* will find this to be an easy legal revenue stream, for instance, the Yellowood guy could simply pay endorsement deals to whatever player they want. Which of course other teams will quickly pick up on and before you know it, you have an endorsement deal bidding war over an 18 year old between rich obsessed alumni.

If this is not VERY tightly controlled you can kiss college football goodbye. It would make the NFL look pure and wholesome by comparison.

And just FYI Texas A&M has more money than half the SEC combined. If recruiting just comes down to money they could beat the Dallas Cowboys.

Last edited:

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I fail to see how they've screwed anything up. They gave this plenty of time to be figured out in terms of execution and also be tested in the court systems. A lot of people agree with the crux of what this law allows...
The law itself is the problem.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
While I am not against the idea they are attempting to address, This will likely result in a number of unintended consequences. Without worrying about who can do what, we all know that if one state allows it all states will allow it and the NCAA has zero gonads so it will do nothing but suck its thumb and chant in the corner.

It will create a class system of players making the $$$ and those who do not. Linemen for instance, nobody wants them to represent their product unless you're selling a buffet restaurant. Not going to be good for the teams or the experience of college football.
You don't think that this already exists?

Sure, there will be consequences, just as there are consequences with the current system.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

You think it's hard to tell a 19 year old what to do now? wait till they have an agent and endorsement deals.

These deals will likely be initially related to their recruiting rankings so you'll have a 5 star player who hasn't played a down of college football come walking in the building wearing gold chains and driving his sports car with a few chicks and an entourage in tow. Good luck ever telling him to run laps.

Teams who have historically payed players and gotten away with it *Cough*** Auburn* will find this to be an easy legal revenue stream, for instance, the Yellowood guy could simply pay endorsement deals to whatever player they want. Which of course other teams will quickly pick up on and before you know it, you have an endorsement deal bidding war over an 18 year old between rich obsessed alumni.

If this is not VERY tightly controlled you can kiss college football goodbye. It would make the NFL look pure and wholesome by comparison.

And just FYI Texas A&M has more money than half the SEC combined. If recruiting just comes down to money they could beat the Dallas Cowboys.
IMO, it will create a sub-culture of issues that will quickly turn political. For instance, you've got elite players (wr's, qb's, rb's etc) signing endorsement deals for hundreds of thousands possibly millions of dollars for their image, signature and/or name. Many of these elite athletes will be from poor backgrounds and now will be able to take care of their family, which is a good thing. But not all of the poor athletes on the team are elite and will have the opportunity to do that. I can guaran-dang-tee you this will quickly become an "issue" of "unfairness". Which will spark a movement to pressure the schools to "do something" for those athletes who aren't in demand to the open market. This is just one of an enormous list of "unintended consequences" that you can expect to pop up.

I just wish/hope there are controls put in place so this entire thing doesn't completely change the landscape of college football in a bad way.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If you believe in free market capitalism then don't dust this topic's doors shouting about how this is bad.

Most just don't like this because it is possibly an existential threat to a bastardized developmental/farm league structure for pro football that has been hoisted upon the collegiate system so billionaires don't have to assume the risk of developing skill in a dangerous, violent job. So be it. If these changes end high-level revenue sports but properly pays those assuming the most risk then I'm for it. It might make Alabama become a program full of 2 or 3 star kids from Aliceville and Fayette who value the degree more than the commanding heights of the NFL farm league gamble but it will solve so many more issues in the process. The 100 dollar hand shakes and cars will be over because the only kids playing college football are there for the college not the football. The kids who need inducements to play at a place will be gambling their bodies in the NFL farm system.

Last edited:

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
How long until a Title IX lawsuit gets filed for gender descrimination? If you pay the football players, you have to pay all the athletes?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
How long until a Title IX lawsuit gets filed for gender descrimination? If you pay the football players, you have to pay all the athletes?
Nonsense. Please read the article. This is for endorsement deals only. Title IX has nothing to do with it.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The law is about the right to profit from their likeness. This is not employment. It is a guarantee of an implicit right every other person has in the marketplace.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
If you believe in free market capitalism then don't dust this topic's doors shouting about how this is bad.

Most just don't like this because it is possibly an existential threat to a bastardized developmental/farm league structure for pro football that has been hoisted upon the collegiate system so billionaires don't have to assume the risk of developing skill in a dangerous, violent job. So be it. If these changes end high-level revenue sports but properly pays those assuming the most risk then I'm for it. It might make Alabama become a program full of 2 or 3 star kids from Aliceville and Fayette who value the degree more than the commanding heights of the NFL farm league gamble but it will solve so many more issues in the process. The 100 dollar hand shakes and cars will be over because the only kids playing college football are there for the college not the football. The kids who need inducements to play at a place will be gambling their bodies in the NFL farm system.
you speak like my brother-in-law who thinks men never landed on the moon and 911 was an inside job.

Here's a solution you and I could probably agree with, remove the age limitation to the NFL, just let them go straight for the paycheck, Let the NFL expand their taxi squad to accommodate a few extra developmental players and then the "normal" players can do it the old fashioned way and get a degree while they play.

And for those who say they are not physically ready.... you're just not paying attention. These guys are coming out of HS ready.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Note: I'm really trying to not be political about this but it is really hard because it is kinda extrinsically tied to what we should consider basic rights a person has in the market. I think the NCAA has greatly overstepped their bounds and have for generations w/r/t this specific, narrow issue. The "are they laborers entitled to greater compensation?" argument is much more complicated and frankly the schools do give several forms of compensation to the student athlete such as cost of living adjustments, stipends, subsistence, housing, and tuition.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
The law is about the right to profit from their likeness. This is not employment. It is a guarantee of an implicit right every other person has in the marketplace.
And like the post above, in the political climate in which we live, someone will cry unfair. The poor kid that doesn’t have a deal for his or her likeness will claim some type of discrimination. Maybe the coach only plays the “paid” athletes undermining any chance the “unpaid” player has at making it to the next level. It will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bidgood

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2011
So, if Bill Gates want's to pay 22 athletes 5m a year to represent Microsoft while going to USC, that's all cool?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.