Fair Pay to Play Act Signed into Law in CA

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Had the NCAA simply allowed scholarship athletes a stipend to cover extra expenses this would be a non-issue. That said, is there anything California can't screw up?
They did, and most schools have implemented it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So does Jalen Waddle get a cut of all "17" Jerseys that Bama Sells? Or everytime ESPN puts our Helmet on the screen?
This is not connected in any way to the current change being discussed, but who can know what the future holds.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
How long until a Title IX lawsuit gets filed for gender descrimination? If you pay the football players, you have to pay all the athletes?
I don’t think this is about the schools paying players, it’s about players being able to cash in on their own names.

Think if the money Tua could have made through endorsements in the last 2 years.

If Golden Flake wants to pay him, that’s a private business deal between consenting parties and the school and Title IX have nothing to do with it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
They did, and most schools have implemented it.
And let's be honest. It wouldn't have mattered the number they would have put on the stipend. Would it have made any of this current topic go away? When/if this current legislation is passed on a national level and players begin to profit from it. Will that satisfy the beast? Nope. It's like the lyrics in a Kenny Chesney song that perfectly describes human nature:

'Cause you and Tequila make me crazy
Run like poison in my blood
One more night could kill me, baby
One is one too many, one more is never enough
"More" will never be enough. LOL! For the record. I'm not saying the current format doesn't need changing. I'm just saying if anyone thinks letting players make money (privately) from their popularity is going to end this topic and everything is going to look the same on the field. They are gravely mistaken.

Last edited:

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
And let's be honest. It wouldn't have mattered the number they would have put on the stipend. Would it have made any of this current topic go away? When/if this current legislation is passed on a national level and players begin to profit from it. Will that satisfy the beast? Nope. It's like the lyrics in a Kenny Chesney song that perfectly describes human nature:

"More" will never be enough. LOL! For the record. I'm not saying the current format doesn't need changing. I'm just saying if anyone thinks letting players make money (privately) from their popularity is going to end this topic and everything is going to look the same on the field. They are gravely mistaken.
It won’t end the topic but its a step in the right direction, better to do something than to not do it at all.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Hardly anyone in this country seems to want to curb the capitalistic enthusiasm of businesses so what gives about wanting to curb similar enthusiasm from labor?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Hardly anyone in this country seems to want to curb the capitalistic enthusiasm of businesses so what gives about wanting to curb similar enthusiasm from labor?
If we are being honest, the NCAA opened the door for this by exploiting players and making big bucks by getting in bed with EA and ESPN.

What I find funny is that so many are against high school players going to places like the XFL instead of college as a route to the pros, and always signaling that college football is THE semi pro league. But any step to ACTUALLY make it a semi pro league, everyone goes crazy and starts to point out stipends, education, and insurance benefits that are given to these players.

I think without a true alternative to college football, something has to change to reflect what college football is.... a semi pro league.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
I don’t think this is about the schools paying players, it’s about players being able to cash in on their own names.

Think if the money Tua could have made through endorsements in the last 2 years.

If Golden Flake wants to pay him, that’s a private business deal between consenting parties and the school and Title IX have nothing to do with it.
I am not a lawyer but I think lowend has a point. It will be just a matter of time when a popular women's basketball player, softball player will contest the legality of them not getting paid for any publicity using their names.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think without a true alternative to college football, something has to change to reflect what college football is.... a semi pro league.
At the P5 level, which is why the P5 schools need to break away from the NCAA and form their own league.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I don't have a problem with this - in the abstract - but I can't imagine this is going work the way anyone intends.

Smart businesses will hedge their bets and avoid endorsements until a player has proved himself. Will there be contracts? They're almost certainly to be framed in a way that it protects the business - and who can blame them? What happens when a guy falls off in performance? Is he going to lose the endorsement?

And how will we distinguish between an endorsement and a wealthy booster simply paying a player?

And this doesn't even tough on the disparity between freshmen/seniors on the one hand, and also between linemen and skill players.

Can someone who understands the business community in the Tuscaloosa-Birmingham corridor explain how this might work in our case? I mean, Nike might do something with Tua or the WR corps - but what's the market value of someone else? Who pays it? Most local businesses would have a limited ROI in letting these guys do ads. The market for paid photos and autographs has to be limited, as well.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am not a lawyer but I think lowend has a point. It will be just a matter of time when a popular women's basketball player, softball player will contest the legality of them not getting paid for any publicity using their names.
Then what is to keep me from suing for some of this money? I mean, why do I need to do anything to earn money for these companies to demand a share?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
As I stated in my post. I'm not saying the current format doesn't need to be changed. Just pointing out there will never be a "fix". It will ultimately be just like the constant tug of war between players' unions and the owners we see in professional sports. I just don't know what will change to the college football we're watching on tv today once this takes hold and no one knows what all directions this will take the sport or what "Alabama Football" will look like 10 years from now.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't have a problem with this - in the abstract - but I can't imagine this is going work the way anyone intends.

Smart businesses will hedge their bets and avoid endorsements until a player has proved himself. Will there be contracts? They're almost certainly to be framed in a way that it protects the business - and who can blame them? What happens when a guy falls off in performance? Is he going to lose the endorsement?

And how will we distinguish between an endorsement and a wealthy booster simply paying a player?

And this doesn't even tough on the disparity between freshmen/seniors on the one hand, and also between linemen and skill players.

Can someone who understands the business community in the Tuscaloosa-Birmingham corridor explain how this might work in our case? I mean, Nike might do something with Tua or the WR corps - but what's the market value of someone else? Who pays it? Most local businesses would have a limited ROI in letting these guys do ads. The market for paid photos and autographs has to be limited, as well.
All of this is why CA included the agents in the law. Players will need someone with experience to help them protect their interests in this business endeavor.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As I stated in my post. I'm not saying the current format doesn't need to be changed. Just pointing out there will never be a "fix". It will ultimately be just like the constant tug of war between players' unions and the owners we see in professional sports. I just don't know what will change to the college football we're watching on tv today once this takes hold and no one knows what all directions this will take the sport or what "Alabama Football" will look like 10 years from now.
See, this actually moved the ball to a completely different arena. Before it was schools vs. players. This allows players to work outside of the school construct. Any issues here would be resolved within that new construct.

Sure, the school/player relationship will change, but it is already changing. This can't be blamed for that. The $$$ being made across the country in the sport is the real culprit. When so many people are making money, you can expect the players to want some way of cashing in. This allows them to do that without changing the financial impact on schools which might not be able to afford greater player expenses. This might actually save the sport that we love, for a little while anyway.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
See, this actually moved the ball to a completely different arena. Before it was schools vs. players. This allows players to work outside of the school construct. Any issues here would be resolved within that new construct.

Sure, the school/player relationship will change, but it is already changing. This can't be blamed for that. The $$$ being made across the country in the sport is the real culprit. When so many people are making money, you can expect the players to want some way of cashing in. This allows them to do that without changing the financial impact on schools which might not be able to afford greater player expenses. This might actually save the sport that we love, for a little while anyway.
Of all the things that may come out of this. This is probably not going to be one of them. LOL!

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
All of this is why CA included the agents in the law. Players will need someone with experience to help them protect their interests in this business endeavor.
And that's fine - but it doesn't answer the question of what happens when high-quality players who not at the level of Tua/Jalen/etc are left in the lurch.

Everyone makes the argument that this is simply the market in action, and that's true enough, but markets are often hard to predict. It could take quite a long while to sort this out, and it's hard for me to imagine that it will work in the way everyone hopes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.