Game Thread: AUDub (Auburn) vs Bazza (Florida)

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I'm not sure which team has the better offense, at this point, but I think AU has the better defense. Defense wins this one.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'm not sure which team has the better offense, at this point, but I think AU has the better defense. Defense wins this one.
If you are going by the current NCAA stats...Auburn is ranked #36 in Total Offense and Florida is ranked #54.

Alabama is ranked #4, in case anyone is interested. :)

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/27

Of course, Auburn has played a tougher schedule than Florida, so you have to take that into account.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
#1 defense against a freshman QB.

I’ll take the defense every time

Had Oregon not choked the game away, UF would be favored. One lucky pass is making all the difference right now

I see Sunshine on Saturday

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
Despite Auburn's perceived resume I'm not sold on them yet. I'm not sure how good Oregon or A&M really are and Miss St looked bad even before the kickoff like maybe the whole team had the flu all week or something and they looked terrible on both sides of the ball.

Having said that Florida won't win any beauty contests either. It should be a close defense dominated game so I'm going with Florida at home because I think they win the turnover battle.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I went up to Gainesville and saw the Florida Tennessee game which was Trask's first game starting. He is much better than Franks but he is not going to win games for the gators. I guess Jones just does not get the play book or he would be starting. The Gator defense is above average and Florida has some very good receivers. It's a game that is very difficult to call, but being at The Swamp sure helps. I'm pulling for the Bazzas.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I like the way you think, Design!

Speaking of Florida's defense.....I know "we haven't played anyone yet"...nevertheless....Florida is ranked #1 in the country in Total Defense, Red Zone Defense, and Interceptions. Ranked (tied for)#2 in Sacks...and Turnovers Gained. And ranked #5 in Scoring Defense.

I think having Trask at QB will continue to help us at D because the offense will stay on the field longer and stay more rested.

Again, Florida doesn't have the resume that Auburn does but I still think the stats above are impressive and say something.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/40
Very impressive numbers. The sacks numbers are boosted by the 248 of them that Miami gave up in the first game. All kidding aside it's a classic Florida defense and they will need a good performance for Florida to win. I think they have the perimeter speed to deal with Auburn better than some do.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I think AU has the better team. I haven't been overly impressed with the Gators yet. I do think that Mullen will eventually get the Gators in a good place.

Ol' one bullet Barner Fife blows his big toe off. Legacy Bo knows an agile, hostile, mobile, fertile, versatile Florida D that will revile, style, beguile, compile and make me smile worthwhile. Bo knows running for his life and stars in a deep blue sky. Gators get all the MO. Bo, no MO. Gators 31- Barntopia 16.

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
Definitely pulling for the Gators, but so far Aubie has looked like a much more complete team. They have flaws that a better team can expose, but the Gators aren't that team.

Gotta hand it to Gus, so far this year he's done more with less than anyone else in the SEC.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
#1 defense against a freshman QB.

I’ll take the defense every time

Had Oregon not choked the game away, UF would be favored. One lucky pass is making all the difference right now

I see Sunshine on Saturday
This.....I think Florida makes a statement Saturday. Definitely the game of the week....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
For the first time this season, the Florida defense will be healthy and whole Saturday.

No injuries, no suspensions. The defense is intact, all players healthy and eligible, for the first time in 2019.

The defense has been missing key players due to injuries/suspensions since the opener.

Here’s the list:

• Starting cornerback CJ Henderson has missed the last three games after injuring his ankle early in the UT Martin game.
  • Starting defensive end Jabari Zuniga has been out since injuring his ankle in the Kentucky game on Sept. 14.
  • Safety Jeawon Taylor has missed two games with an injured shoulder.
  • Starting linebacker Ventrell Miller missed last week’s game against Towson after injuring his hamstring against the Tennessee game two weeks ago.
  • Safety Shawn Davis missed last week’s game with an unspecified injury.
  • Safety Brad Stewart was suspended from the first two games and tackle Luke Ancrum from the second game for not living up to the Gator standard.
  • Starting safety Donovan Stiner was suspended from the first half of the UT game after getting called for targeting in the second half against Kentucky.
Those eight defensive players — along with starting wide receiver Freddie Swain, who missed last Saturday’s game with an unspecified injury — are good to go for Saturday’s game.

======

IMHO, the game will come down to which QB is able to play with the least amount of interference and pressure from the opposing team's defense.

UF sack leaders:
Greenard- 4
Zuniga- 3
Moon- 2
Miller- 2
Dean- 2
Bogle- 2
Reese- 1
Campbell- 1
Brunson- 1
Houston- 1
Shuler- 1
Ancrum- 1
Dunlap Jr- 1
Carter- .5
Stew- .5
Slaton- .5
Diabate- .5

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I see this as a game between two coaches who sometimes get much less credit than they deserve. However, there are times when they each get much more credit than they deserve. From what I have witnessed the last few years, both of these coaches "outsmart" themselves when they start to get too much credit. In this game, both coaches are getting a lot of love, so this outcome will be decided by which coach does not out-Gus or out-Mullen himself. It is certainly ironic that both of these narcissistic offensive geniuses arrive at this juncture riding their defensive strengths. I look forward to watching the game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.