If you could make 1 change to improve federal government, what would it be? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Re: If you could make 1 change to improve federal government, what would it be?

My first though was a tactical non-nuclear strike on DC, but too much collteral damage. So the next best thing would be an open season with no limits on all lobbyists.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    My first though was a tactical non-nuclear strike on DC, but too much collteral damage. So the next best thing would be an open season with no limits on all lobbyists.
    Then term limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by tidefanbeezer View Post

...Require that bills / laws be written in such a way that they can fit on a single piece of paper and can be easily understood without a law degree.
    This is an awesome idea. One unintended repercussion of term limits might be that if a selfish politician ( a little redundant?) knew he only had, say, 6 years to make as much money and side deals as possible, then they would be even slimier than they are now. At least now they pretend to be worried about getting voted out of office if they screw up too royally...

BamaNation Hall of Fame TexasBama's Avatar

Was just googling and found the following. Itís for the 115th Congress but donít imagine itís changed a lot. 194 reps and 44 senators list public service/politics as their occupation

BamaNation First Team

term limits: max 16 yrs of 'public service' for all elected and appointed officials. make it easier to fire bureaucrats (in any govt agency) deemed as not meeting expectations of their respective federal govt job....and make it so those folks cant 'agency hop' from one federal agency to another

BamaNation All-American

I would become dictator so I could make all the changes I want.

A more serious answer would be to rewrite the Constitution

BamaNation All-American bama_wayne1's Avatar

Require that anyone seeking public office may not increase their net worth beyond their earnings from the office they seek. No investments etc.

"Old dog - new tricks"

BamaNation All-American willie52's Avatar

Get rid of ALL dishonest politician
    Please stand behind our troops or feel free to stand in front of them.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by willie52 View Post
    Get rid of ALL dishonest politician
    No need to be redundant.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

This is tough because I hate lobbyist and I love term limits.

My idea for term limits is a little extreme. No re-elections...ever. 1 and done.

Now, they can be representative, then a senator, then president, etc. But no more than 1 term for each office. Then they have to go get a real job like the rest of us and actually live in the world they are destroying.

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tidefanbeezer View Post
    Term limits for everyone.

Require that bills / laws be written in such a way that they can fit on a single piece of paper and can be easily understood without a law degree.
    Well, OK, but I'm not sure you'll like the result...
    This is the darkest timeline.

BamaNation All-American

Do term limits work? I feel like I've read that term limits actually make the government less effective and active. We already move at a snails pace as it is.

That said the studies I think I'm remembering were focused on the executive branch.