If you could make 1 change to improve federal government, what would it be? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: If you could make 1 change to improve federal government, what would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Do term limits work? I feel like I've read that term limits actually make the government less effective and active. We already move at a snails pace as it is.
    You say this as if it's a bad thing.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar

Does limiting its maximum operational budget for the next 20 years to 20% of its current expenditures count as one thing or 20?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

Tradition is always under construction.
    - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

If everyone is for term limits, why do incumbents win at such a high rate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With term limits, no continue of pay or health care after they leave office.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    If everyone is for term limits, why do incumbents win at such a high rate?

Well, in Alabama as long as the incumbent has an R by their name they could possibly hold a Senate seat for over 30 years. If they imposed term limits then atleast we would have a different republican senator every few years instead of the same one.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uafanataum View Post
    Well, in Alabama as long as the incumbent has an R by their name they could possibly hold a Senate seat for over 30 years. If they imposed term limits then atleast we would have a different republican senator every few years instead of the same one.
    Last year there was a big push on my community Facebook page to vote out Del Marsh, my state Senator and president of the state Senate. There was a guy running against him and everyone was making posts campaigning for the other guy. There were several posts that were just making stuff up to make Marsh look bad.

I really didnít have an opinion one way or the other about Marsh. He is probably no more sleazy than any other high ranking politician. But the constant onslaught of posts began to get annoying. That and the fact I find most of the regular posters (and the administrators) of the page to be morons. I read the website of the guy running against him in the Republican primary and it screamed Tea Party nutjob. So I voted for Marsh just to make them mad.

Marsh won with about 53% of the vote. But he won in a landslide in the general election because he still had an R by his name. I didnít see a single anti-Marsh post leading up to November. Bunch of hypocrites.

Just like the gas tax. People pitched a fit, but I bet very few incumbents lose in 2022.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Kick Trump out of office
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    Make the Presidential election be based on the popular vote and do away with the electoral college system, which would go a long way towards addressing our problem of being ruled by an aggressive minority.
    In a more serious note to what the OP wanted, Replace the EC with a parliamentary type election. I just don't think a true popular vote would work in the US, but I think most would be happy with a parliamentary system.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

*Get rid of the Electoral College.

*Enact strict apportionment rules for Congressional Districts that should be drawn by non-partisan means. Gerrymandering should be sent to the scrapheap of history.

*Election Day should be a Federal/State holiday.

*Before we send our military into foreign conflicts, we should have a declaration of war in hand.

*Resolve to approach a modicum of understanding of the need for a public option for healthcare. It may be cumbersome, but basic health care should be afforded to every US citizen if they have no other recourse.

*Preserve public lands and national parks from the designs of logging, mining, petroleum and other commercial interests. Republicans, this is a TR issue!

*If we could swing it, bring back dirigibles. And carpet bomb Lee County

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

If you could make 1 change to improve federal government, what would it be?

He said 1 thing, not 7. /bluefont

If you were given the power to do this and you could pick his replacement, who would you choose? Your choice can be anyone that meets the qualifications for the office of the POTUS.
    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Kick Trump out of office

Suspended

How about, forcing it to follow the Constitution. You know, that piece of paper that says any power not granted to the federal government in this document shall be granted to the States!