If you could make 1 change to improve federal government, what would it be?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

If you could make 1 change to improve federal government, what would it be?

Not looking for "Drain the Swamp, MAGA"! or "Impeach Trump!" type replies. My wife's grandfather (RIP) was a die hard repub. and spent many years as a lobbyist for the beef industry and as congressiona aid to representative Buchannan out of Birmingham. I asked him before he passed what he would do to fix Washington. He replied, "get the d___ lobbyist out of town."...and as I said, he was a long time lobbyist.

I tend to think that would be a big improvement, but I think my 1 change would be term limits for all federally elected officials. Get rid of career politicians. Thoughts?

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Re: If you could make 1 change to improve federal government, what would it be?

Term limits to include all members of the House of Representatives, Senate, and the Supreme Court. Age limits for all of the above, 35-70 no exceptions.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-SEC

End the 2 party system.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TexasBama's Avatar

Well, the one "Nuke it from orbit, its the only way to be sure" thing is void the Constitution.

That aside, I don't know if there's one thing you could do. I'd probably pick - You can only serve as a Rep, Senator, Veep, or POTUS for a total of X years, with the minimum age being 55 or 60. That would at least mitigate the careerists.

Also, I've always liked the idea of having politicians wears sponsor patches like the NASCAR guys do.

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

void Citizens United.
    This is the darkest timeline.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Term limits to include all members of the House of Representatives, Senate, and the Supreme Court. Age limits for all of the above, 35-70 no exceptions.
    Well I think the military says nobody older than 64...why not keep it simple and just do it like the military?
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

FB|BB Moderator

Term limits for every elected or appointed position in all branches of government.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Well I think the military says nobody older than 64...why not keep it simple and just do it like the military?

I am totally opposed to this since it smacks of age discrimination; I could however get behind 35-65. Another issue which I am sure someone will get around to, is compensation.
    Last edited by GrayTide; October 1st, 2019 at 07:58 AM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I am totally opposed to this since it smacks of discrimination; I could however get behind 35-65. Another issue which I am sure someone will get around to, is compensation.
    Compared to what they parlay their position into, the current compensation is peanuts.

Interesting answers. I think people would just Grover Cleveland around the term limits, so I think lobbyists should go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

Accountability within civil service positions.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TexasBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    void Citizens United.
    That was my first thought but I think that horse has been out of the barn for too long. Maybe travel back in time and void Citizens United?

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

Make the Presidential election be based on the popular vote and do away with the electoral college system, which would go a long way towards addressing our problem of being ruled by an aggressive minority.

BamaNation All-American tidefanbeezer's Avatar

Term limits for everyone.

Require that bills / laws be written in such a way that they can fit on a single piece of paper and can be easily understood without a law degree.