If you could make 1 change to improve federal government, what would it be?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
This is tough because I hate lobbyist and I love term limits.

My idea for term limits is a little extreme. No re-elections...ever. 1 and done.

Now, they can be representative, then a senator, then president, etc. But no more than 1 term for each office. Then they have to go get a real job like the rest of us and actually live in the world they are destroying.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Do term limits work? I feel like I've read that term limits actually make the government less effective and active. We already move at a snails pace as it is.

That said the studies I think I'm remembering were focused on the executive branch.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Does limiting its maximum operational budget for the next 20 years to 20% of its current expenditures count as one thing or 20?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If everyone is for term limits, why do incumbents win at such a high rate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
If everyone is for term limits, why do incumbents win at such a high rate?

Well, in Alabama as long as the incumbent has an R by their name they could possibly hold a Senate seat for over 30 years. If they imposed term limits then atleast we would have a different republican senator every few years instead of the same one.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Well, in Alabama as long as the incumbent has an R by their name they could possibly hold a Senate seat for over 30 years. If they imposed term limits then atleast we would have a different republican senator every few years instead of the same one.
Last year there was a big push on my community Facebook page to vote out Del Marsh, my state Senator and president of the state Senate. There was a guy running against him and everyone was making posts campaigning for the other guy. There were several posts that were just making stuff up to make Marsh look bad.

I really didn’t have an opinion one way or the other about Marsh. He is probably no more sleazy than any other high ranking politician. But the constant onslaught of posts began to get annoying. That and the fact I find most of the regular posters (and the administrators) of the page to be morons. I read the website of the guy running against him in the Republican primary and it screamed Tea Party nutjob. So I voted for Marsh just to make them mad.

Marsh won with about 53% of the vote. But he won in a landslide in the general election because he still had an R by his name. I didn’t see a single anti-Marsh post leading up to November. Bunch of hypocrites.

Just like the gas tax. People pitched a fit, but I bet very few incumbents lose in 2022.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Make the Presidential election be based on the popular vote and do away with the electoral college system, which would go a long way towards addressing our problem of being ruled by an aggressive minority.
In a more serious note to what the OP wanted, Replace the EC with a parliamentary type election. I just don't think a true popular vote would work in the US, but I think most would be happy with a parliamentary system.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
*Get rid of the Electoral College.

*Enact strict apportionment rules for Congressional Districts that should be drawn by non-partisan means. Gerrymandering should be sent to the scrapheap of history.

*Election Day should be a Federal/State holiday.

*Before we send our military into foreign conflicts, we should have a declaration of war in hand.

*Resolve to approach a modicum of understanding of the need for a public option for healthcare. It may be cumbersome, but basic health care should be afforded to every US citizen if they have no other recourse.

*Preserve public lands and national parks from the designs of logging, mining, petroleum and other commercial interests. Republicans, this is a TR issue!

*If we could swing it, bring back dirigibles. And carpet bomb Lee County ;)

RyanM

Suspended
Sep 14, 2019
How about, forcing it to follow the Constitution. You know, that piece of paper that says any power not granted to the federal government in this document shall be granted to the States!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.