Exam question in my course (related to Tua / Jalen)

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
So, let’s see if I’m getting this stratified thing right. Basically you’d divide the employees up by sex, race, work department, shift etc. and then pick one or two out of each group to reduce the sheer number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Generally, that’s the idea. For the problem at hand, most likely strata would be levels of employees or job/role, departments, locations, lines of business, etc. with several interviewees chosen at random within each strata. So if done correctly for each company it would be possible that you chose/interviewed same number at each.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
The profit margin for the Hurts company after a relocation to Oklahoma would probably be astronomical.
Biggest free agent signing ever, right? Harper got $330mm for 10 years, soooo....

Edit: FIFY. I misread the orig post. Tua company will remain HQ’d in Tuscaloosa until it moves to the location of the ‘Tank for Tua’ contest winner ;)

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Generally, that’s the idea. For the problem at hand, most likely strata would be levels of employees or job/role, departments, locations, lines of business, etc. with several interviewees chosen at random within each strata. So if done correctly for each company it would be possible that you chose/interviewed same number at each.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would have taken the question as assessing the random sample size needed to derive a result representative of the universe.

In the instance at hand, I would have applied the formula (the specifics of which are lost to me in the mist of almost 40 years time), and come up with an answer along the lines of, “To assess Tua Company will require a larger sample size than an assessment of Hurts Company, but nowhere near the 10x proportional difference between the two companies’ headcounts.”

Compliments of Dr. Al Drake’s ST 465 Sampling Methods class, circa 1981.

While the same principles would apply regardless, I would not have gotten into stratifying by qualifications, assuming that the qualified employees of each were equally distributed. If that assumption is invalid, a statistical comparison of the two companies gets really hairy, really fast - which might have been what you intended. And if so, far beyond my capabilities

Last edited:

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Gave an exam tonight in my senior MIS capstone course. Part of one question had to do with sampling data sources...

Hurts Company has 120 employees. Tua Company has 1200 employees. Would the analyst working with Tua Company need to interview more employees than the analyst working with Hurts Company? Why or why not? Explain.

only one young lady came up and said, "I got your Alabama reference" :) May have to give her bonus points :biggrin:
Sadly my grasp of statistics is limited at best, guess I just have to go on the season's results while I know that's a limited case but then, that's the only case I really care about.
Note to self: it's not too late in the game to follow up on this and expand my horizons a bit....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.