Link: D III School Grinnell cancels rest of season due to injuries.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
First off, Grinnell's an egghead school of impeccable academic standing.

First off-A, a lot of logic went into this decision - and not just the diminution of the roster with the only option available for "restocking" it the populous giant fox squirrels infesting the campus. Grinnell was scheduled to play the vaunted St. Norbert Green Knights, who as any clergy or CFB defensive coordinator knows, hold a private "counseling session" with St. Vincent Lombardi before every home game. Moreover, it was to be St. Norbert's "Hall of Fame Day" game - the outlook was grim for Grinnell in going up against a divine-interventioned defense that was passively humiliated by watching what happened at Lambeau Field last weekend with the Green Bay Packers, who hold training camp at St. Norbert. (The Packer defense for like the last 10 years has trained at an air guitar academy in Beloit, n.b. their continued development of the most superior last-gasp defensive grasping skills in the NFL.)

Secondly, back to the First Off, Grinnell's board of trustees is reportedly going into secret session to see about having former Congressman and "The Love Boat" maitre d' Fred "Gopher" Grandy supplant the Fox Squirrel as the school's official mascot, a natural progression in Iowa. Now if Gray Tide can just provide some Six Degrees of Walter "Radar" O'Reilly data to seal the deal, it's a fait accompli, and the lost football season in need of a M*A*S*H unit will be but a footnote in Grinnell's academic annals...

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
DIII kids are non scholarship players. If its that bad, they are doing the right thing by those kids. Still, its such a devastating blow for a school. Prayers for fast healing.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I was recruited very heavily by this school coming out of high school. Was hesitant to move that far from home at the time.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Have you ever really been to Iowa? All of my friends from there constantly complain about how much they hated living there. It was sooooooo boring.

As someone who is plenty old enough to have grandkids...................yeah, it looks like a great place to raise a family!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Do they have any 4* or 5* Linebackers that could transfer IMMEDIATELY (of the remaining 28 players)?

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Have you ever really been to Iowa? All of my friends from there constantly complain about how much they hated living there. It was sooooooo boring.

As someone who is plenty old enough to have grandkids...................yeah, it looks like a great place to raise a family!
Lived there for 5 years. It's a GREAT place to raise a family. The winters can be rough. The catalyst for me moving back to Alabama was a February that never got above zero degrees.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
With only 39 players, the school was not committed to having a football program. My Grandson played his Freshman year in 2017 at a DIII school in the same conference as Grinnell. The average roster was 70-80 players. The University of Chicago had over 100. Their 2019 Roster lists 101.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

If you`re not into pheasant hunting....loooong winter!

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
It is a very long winter in the upper mid-west particularly when the wind chill is nearly 60 below. It looks pretty desolate. I have traveled pretty much throughout Iowa over the years. In the 80's we traveled over to Kinnick Stadium to see Penn State handle a pretty good Iowa team. Several things I remember...Penn State separating Iowa running backs from the football, The Iowa golden girl got my attention on the sideline, the mid-western weather that day was incredible, the clouds hung like large puffy cotton balls in a perfect sky, Alabama lost to MSU and the score, when announced, received a big round of applause from the stands.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
With only 39 players, the school was not committed to having a football program. My Grandson played his Freshman year in 2017 at a DIII school in the same conference as Grinnell. The average roster was 70-80 players. The University of Chicago had over 100. Their 2019 Roster lists 101.
Yeah, but U. of Chi-Town had Jay Berwanger's Heisman House absenteeism to overcome! Thus the DIII stockpiling.

And if you are into pheasant hunting (and ducks on the potholes first and on the grill later), Iowa's a good drive-through state en route to North Dakota and the 'Bama Lite Bison, as well as...the Roger Maris Museum at the West Acres Mall in Fargo!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.