Forget the Heisman, Tagovailoa wants the HOTY

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
:D

If Tagovailoa wants to take home the HOTY Award, he has his work cut out for him.

The biggest problem he faces is the main method by which holders are judged by the committee. Since there's no official holding stat tracked by the NCAA, the committee is left with kicking accuracy. And Alabama, shall we say, is lacking in that department, having made just 5-of-9 field goal attempts this season. It even has a missed extra point on the books.

But there's another issue which makes winning the HOTY an uphill battle, and it has nothing to do with Tagovailoa's performance on the field. Because of the award's tongue-in-cheek spirit, the committee looks for a certain amount of showmanship from its competitors. And if you go look at Tagovailoa's typically subdued comments in the media and his run-of-the-mill back-slapping after field goals and extra points, you'll see he's not exactly acting the part.
The fun, fierce Holder of the Year battle, starring Tua Tagovailoa

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Tua should talk Coach Saban into letting him throw a TD pass off a fake FG. Maybe he could earn bonus points for that.
I'm pretty sure there are several plays already prepared for that opportunity. Tua's vision, footwork, and arm skill make teams fear a fake FG much more than they fear our kicker.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Honestly, I wish Tua wasn’t holding. I would much rather have whomever, Reichard practices with the majority of the time hold. Probably Delong. It makes a difference kicking with the holder you practice with. I know he practices with Tua some, but the majority of kicks in practice are on another field, while Tua is practicing with the O. It might just not be our kickers that are our problem. And this is nothing against Tua, it’s simply a chemistry thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Honestly, I wish Tua wasn’t holding. I would much rather have whomever, Reichard practices with the majority of the time hold. Probably Delong. It makes a difference kicking with the holder you practice with. I know he practices with Tua some, but the majority of kicks in practice are on another field, while Tua is practicing with the O. It might just not be our kickers that are our problem. And this is nothing against Tua, it’s simply a chemistry thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tua is holding because he is the best holder that you have. Mac is the backup holder. They tried Mac as the primary last year with less than stellar results.

QBs are often holders as they become used to fielding snaps. They get far more reps fielding snaps than any other position player.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Tua is holding because he is the best holder that you have. Mac is the backup holder. They tried Mac as the primary last year with less than stellar results.

QBs are often holders as they become used to fielding snaps. They get far more reps fielding snaps than any other position player.
Really? Aren’t the holders mostly punters?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.