2019 MLB playoffs thread - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Re: 2019 MLB playoffs thread

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    World Series now set. My prediction is Stros in 5.
    Stros in 7. I think Stras gets 2 wins and they pick up another one. This maybe the best World Series pitching duel of all time

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Stros in 7. I think Stras gets 2 wins and they pick up another one. This maybe the best World Series pitching duel of all time
    1996 Braves/Yankees - Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Pettitte, Cone, Key, Wohlers, Wetteland, Rivera - to say nothing of the great righty/lefty matchup pitchers both teams had in the bullpen, or Rogers/Neagle/Avery

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    1996 Braves/Yankees - Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Pettitte, Cone, Key, Wohlers, Wetteland, Rivera - to say nothing of the great righty/lefty matchup pitchers both teams had in the bullpen, or Rogers/Neagle/Avery
    Eh. I actually think the addition of Rocket in the 1999 series had more star power out of the two Yanks-Braves WS, but that was more known for the spanking they put on us.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TexasBama's Avatar

I think if it gets to 7 it favors the Nats

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Eh. I actually think the addition of Rocket in the 1999 series had more star power out of the two Yanks-Braves WS, but that was more known for the spanking they put on us.
    Maybe - he replaced Jimmy Key, but Wetteland was gone. But my point is that this set of starting pitchers is not the best ever. Maybe top 10.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TexasBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Maybe - he replaced Jimmy Key, but Wetteland was gone. But my point is that this set of starting pitchers is not the best ever. Maybe top 10.
    1969 WS was pretty good. Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, and Nolan Ryan vs. Jim Palmer, Mike Cuellar, and Dave McNally. Tug McGraw was also on the Mets.

BamaNation All-American

As good as Strasburg and Scherzer are Cole and Verlander are better. OTOH, Greinke is usually a real issue in high pressure situations, though he's had some good starts. Astro's have a better bullpen. Having said all of that, you just never know how things will unfold in a 7 game series. IMO, Cole, Sanchez (8 of 9 "quality" postseason starts tho a couple were only 5 innings, giving up 2 or fewer earned runs in 6 games and 0 in 3, and Strasburg have been consistent big game pitchers, Verlander and Scherzer have been good but not quite as consistent and Greinke has usually melted but not always. IMO, this is one of the better starting pitching matchups of all time - probably top 5. (I've always loved Anibal Sanchez, fearless and one of the few finesse pitchers I would trust in the postseason - he would be my number 3, not Corbin who is good but has struggled in his short 5 game/2 start postseason career.)

Rendon is great, Soto seems to be a big time player but Houston's lineup is much better. Houston is truly a big time team but it's baseball, thus KC could take 2 out of 3 from them, so Wash can definitely take 4 of 7. But Houston should win in 5 or 6: Starting pitching is a little better (maybe grossly underrated Sanchez evens it out but Cole has been scary), lineup is much better, bullpen is much better, defense is much better, don't know about the benches. This is a truly great Houston team.

Game 1 Scherzer vs Cole Game 2 Strasburg vs VerLander Game 3 Corbin vs Grienke
    "Old dog - new tricks"

Nats take game 1. Its probably as close as you can get to a must win game 2 as you can get in a 7 game series for the Stros
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal