2020 Prospect: 5* TE Arik Gilbert

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yeah boy! Those CB experts are something else!
When the majority of the best pickers have the same school, they’re all being fed the same info.

Either the player lies to multiple people, or he made a last minute switch.

Pretty clear what it was in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
When the majority of the best pickers have the same school, they’re all being fed the same info.

Either the player lies to multiple people, or he made a last minute switch.

Pretty clear what it was in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cha Ching

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I don't know how to link the article right now, but there is a good article on Arik Gilbert on today's ESPN.com. It basically said he did not tell his parents or anyone but he knew about a month ago (I assume when he took his visit Oct 5) that he was going to LSU. He said knew the media was saying UGA or Bama and he just played along with that and tried to keep his decision to himself all these weeks.

I would still like to know if Saban had an idea of that over the past few weeks, or if Gilbert outright lied to Saban and said he was coming to Bama.

With LSU's new offense, Joe Brady, the atmosphere, etc, unfortunately I can see this happening more often for LSU. They have always had the talent on D.

Each year it will still be Bama, LSU, and Auburn in contention for the West, but it looks to be much more difficult these days.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I don't know how to link the article right now, but there is a good article on Arik Gilbert on today's ESPN.com. It basically said he did not tell his parents or anyone but he knew about a month ago (I assume when he took his visit Oct 5) that he was going to LSU. He said knew the media was saying UGA or Bama and he just played along with that and tried to keep his decision to himself all these weeks.

I would still like to know if Saban had an idea of that over the past few weeks, or if Gilbert outright lied to Saban and said he was coming to Bama.

With LSU's new offense, Joe Brady, the atmosphere, etc, unfortunately I can see this happening more often for LSU. They have always had the talent on D.

Each year it will still be Bama, LSU, and Auburn in contention for the West, but it looks to be much more difficult these days.
Seems lately that many times recruits like the whole shock value thing......... I’d rather them be honest rather than string someone along

KillVols

1st Team
Oct 23, 2004
Can you say bag of cash? Something going on down south and it stinks bad. Starting to smell like Ole Miss a few years ago. Who in the heck would want to go down there? Apparently lots of great players that aren't from the bayou... hmmm

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Seems lately that many times recruits like the whole shock value thing......... I’d rather them be honest rather than string someone along
In his interview after announcing he said that he told no one, and purposely let people believe that he was going to their schools. He said that he made up his mind over a month ago. IMO, as long as he didn't lie to Saban or the other coaching staffs, he can play that type of game with the fans. Really, it is only us nut jobs who follow this stuff year long who even notice. But if he lied to the coaches and told them that he was coming when he knew otherwise, that isn't cool and shows that you are better off without him.

Still don't know why he wouldn't tell his parents. I cannot imagine having that kind of relationship, or lack thereof, with my boys.

Last edited:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
In his interview after announcing he said that he told no one, and purposely let people believe that he was going to their schools. He said that he made up his mind over a month ago. IMO, as long as he didn't lie to Saban or the other coaching staffs, he can play that type of game with the fans. Really, it is only us nut jobs who follow this stuff year long who even notice. But if he lied to the coaches and told them that he was coming when he knew otherwise, that isn't cool and shows that you are better off without him.

Still don't know why he wouldn't tell his parents. I cannot imagine having that kind of relationship, or lack thereof, with my boys.
I can’t either........ i would have told them straight up

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Yes. Actually, that`s probably the most interesting, and potentially disturbing, part of this.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I bet he will.... are there any other TE out there besides him and Washington to look at?

It just goes to show you that many recruits like the games and attention......wonder what kind of tales Yaw Yaw spun him?
It sucks to lose Gilbert but that ship has salied.

Washington will be our primary target and UGA has not been very good throwing the ball so far this year so we should not count him out. We have Caden Clark commited but he is not the route runner Washington and Gilbert are. There is another TE on our radar from Canada we may go after harder now.

https://247sports.com/player/theo-johnson-46056623/

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Pretty shocked about this one. Kinda reminds me of the OL a few years ago who parents showed up in Bama gear and their son picked the Barn. Eventually, he changed and game to Bama IIRC.

I don't know about this one though. If he mislead CNS or any other coach, that's lowdown. I imagine LSU's QB situation is about like ours for next year in terms of uncertainty, but with our recent success with OJ and then with Irv Smith Jr. that this kid would want to be the next, great one. Oh well.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Can you say bag of cash? Something going on down south and it stinks bad. Starting to smell like Ole Miss a few years ago. Who in the heck would want to go down there? Apparently lots of great players that aren't from the bayou... hmmm
Not everyone wants to go to an established super power like Alabama. Doesn't mean they are afraid of competition, but maybe they want to be part of climbing the mountain. Some guys prefer one kind of coaching style over another, or just like one school better than another.

At the end of the day, LSU and Alabama offer an equal path to the NFL which is a goal for many of these guys.

This isn't unique, LSU lost Louisiana guys like Dylan Moses, Sopsher, Landon Collins, etc. who were raised on LSU. They just wanted a different experience.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Not everyone wants to go to an established super power like Alabama. Doesn't mean they are afraid of competition, but maybe they want to be part of climbing the mountain. Some guys prefer one kind of coaching style over another, or just like one school better than another.

At the end of the day, LSU and Alabama offer an equal path to the NFL which is a goal for many of these guys.

This isn't unique, LSU lost Louisiana guys like Dylan Moses, Sopsher, Landon Collins, etc. who were raised on LSU. They just wanted a different experience.
I agree totally LSUgrad, I think the challenge is the possibility of being misleading about the decision during the recruiting is just a lil bit questionable. But hey, it happens. At the beginning of the day its still his decision so all the best to him, ... until we play each other :)

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I agree totally LSUgrad, I think the challenge is the possibility of being misleading about the decision during the recruiting is just a lil bit questionable. But hey, it happens. At the beginning of the day its still his decision so all the best to him, ... until we play each other :)
I hear the misleading happens a lot (not saying it did or didn't happen here). At least its not NSD. We've had that happen before and it really hurts the class.

Alabama will be just fine in this cycle.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Pretty shocked about this one. Kinda reminds me of the OL a few years ago who parents showed up in Bama gear and their son picked the Barn. Eventually, he changed and game to Bama IIRC.

I don't know about this one though. If he mislead CNS or any other coach, that's lowdown. I imagine LSU's QB situation is about like ours for next year in terms of uncertainty, but with our recent success with OJ and then with Irv Smith Jr. that this kid would want to be the next, great one. Oh well.
Cyrus Kouandjio.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.