Game Thread: NLDS Braves vs Cardinals (Best of 5)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think the "Buffalo Braves" label is overused and not very truthful. If Selma ever came to this thread then he would be better at it than me. Really the only choke job Bobby ever had was to the Padres and to the 1996 Yankees. All other times we lost it was either to an equal team or a far better team. Bobby over achieved with a team that Ted Turner never had the motivation to bring out the checkbook for.
Not sure how old you are, but I watched almost every Braves game all of those seasons and post seasons, and hundreds of other MLB games besides every season. This is flat wrong.

I have watched MLB in over 40 parks across America over the years. I used to really know this game, inside out. I don't even recognize the sport anymore.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
For the record, I do not blame this loss on any in-game decision by Snitker. He lost this series before it started when he allowed his team to take a week off leading up to the playoffs.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
For the record, I do not blame this loss on any in-game decision by Snitker. He lost this series before it started when he allowed his team to take a week off leading up to the playoffs.
They almost needed it to be do or die until the very last day. They won the East and shut it down after that. This was a typical post season Braves game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Not sure how old you are, but I watched almost every Braves game all of those seasons and post seasons, and hundreds of other MLB games besides every season. This is flat wrong.

I have watched MLB in over 40 parks across America over the years. I used to really know this game, inside out. I don't even recognize the sport anymore.
Looking at the world series alone

Twins vs Braves- two even teams
Blue Jays vs Braves- Jays were one of the best teams of the 90's
Indians vs Braves- Braves were better
96 Yankees vs Braves- Braves wer better
99 Yankees vs Braves- Yankees were far better

So only 2 times the Braves were the clear better team in the series, and once they were even. But also consider the twins were just 4 years removed from a WS title when they played Atlanta.

Series that I hold against Bobby are the 96 WS, 98 NLCS, and 2005 NLDS. In most of those Bobby was pretty dumb. But again after 99 Ted Turner really stopped listening to Bobby and Shurholtz and we effectively became a team that only depended on a farm system and dinosaur pitchers.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
As bad as we looked tonight at pitching, the Cardinals looked far worse on defense. I dont think either team is going to win the NLCS, but with the ways things have been going with both teams dont be suprised if tommorow the Braves are bombing them out of the yard and the Cards are playing "who can hit". Maybe Im more optimistic, but the Cards have had so many problems themselves in the past few week in trying to wrap up a weak division.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
As bad as we looked tonight at pitching, the Cardinals looked far worse on defense. I dont think either team is going to win the NLCS, but with the ways things have been going with both teams dont be suprised if tommorow the Braves are bombing them out of the yard and the Cards are playing "who can hit". Maybe Im more optimistic, but the Cards have had so many problems themselves in the past few week in trying to wrap up a weak division.
We looked so bad at pitching, we actually had one of our pitchers get hurt warming up.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Somehow I allowed myself to begin believing this year. My wife told me that I need to pick another franchise to pull for many, many years ago - that the Braves are only going to bring their fans heartache. I should have listened.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Braves gonna win tonight. I was coming home last night when they took the 3-1 lead and was ALMOST in front of the stadium on 285. Had my phone out so I could take pics if a HR was hit. :)

I'll be coming home this afternoon again around the first pitch.

Really disappointed in Acuna lack of running on the long single. What an incredible game he had otherwise. He's getting ripped by his teammates, as well.

Also, put me in the old dude club who doesn't like any of the hot-dogging, either. However, we need him to continue his production and we need the bullpen to not suck!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The bullpen has been an issue all year. Will Snit make a change with the bullpen coach? Marty Reed has been with him for awhile, so he might feel the need to be loyal. The bullpen has cost more games than it should have and made games closer than they ever should have.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The bullpen has been an issue all year. Will Snit make a change with the bullpen coach? Marty Reed has been with him for awhile, so he might feel the need to be loyal. The bullpen has cost more games than it should have and made games closer than they ever should have.
I think having a cold pitcher in a hot situation hurt.

It’s the price of playing a platoon strategy when you don’t have to. Fried should’ve gotten the 8th

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think having a cold pitcher in a hot situation hurt.

It’s the price of playing a platoon strategy when you don’t have to. Fried should’ve gotten the 8th
JMO, but I thought you lost it when Snitker brought Melancon back in the 9th. I said it to my wife at the time. He pitched poorly in the 8th so was rewarded in the 9th with another inning. And then, hit after hit, Snitker left him in. He waiting until the lead was insurmountable before finally realizing that he was never going to get out of the inning without help.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
JMO, but I thought you lost it when Snitker brought Melancon back in the 9th. I said it to my wife at the time. He pitched poorly in the 8th so was rewarded in the 9th with another inning. And then, hit after hit, Snitker left him in. He waiting until the lead was insurmountable before finally realizing that he was never going to get out of the inning without help.
Tbf at that point we only had two other options and they were just as bad. Wasting Day, Greene, and Fried for just situational pitching probably hurt us more than anything else.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Tbf at that point we only had two other options and they were just as bad. Wasting Day, Greene, and Fried for just situational pitching probably hurt us more than anything else.
Sorry, you can't leave him in there that long. This is the playoffs, and a 5 game series. You play to win the game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Sorry, you can't leave him in there that long. This is the playoffs, and a 5 game series. You play to win the game.
Yeah I would’ve probably went with Newcombe in the 8th under the circumstances, and Melancon only in a save situation. But platoon baseball killed us last night. We really could’ve used Day and Greene in the late innings.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.