What if SEC eliminated divisions? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Re: What if SEC eliminated divisions?

Iím all for pragmatism over institutional altruism in almost every case.

I also concur that the big TV $ probably control most of what happens in college sports these days for better or worse. Itís good to be rewarded for being on TV so much but itís a drug that institutions of higher learning no longer truly have control over.

Having long-term contracts gives both sides needed stability but also creates artificial constraints. Itís been an overall positive in the revenue generating and promotional opportunities for the SEC since 1992 SECCG. As sports have become almost the only must-watch-now (rather than later) programming and the SEC has produced the best overall talent, the programming value steadily increases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Boot out the four newbies and play a full round robin. No title game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imauafan View Post
    No, I think it is a bad idea for a number of reasons that I won't get in to but I do think the SEC needs to be more intelligent with how it schedules conference games. Some adjustments to the conference are needed:
    1. Move Missouri to the west and Auburn to the east
    2. Go to a 9 game conference schedule
    3. Get rid of the permanent opponent from the other division nonsense. It should not be a requirement for UA to play UT or AU every year. I know the SEC would never go for this since those kinds of games bring in a lot of money but IMHO it actually hurts the league as a whole since so much emphasis and hatred is on individual games within the conference.
    4. Do the best job possible to arrange the schedule so that no team is front-loaded or back-loaded with tough opponents (I know that is tough to do since a team can be good one year and not good the next such as MSU last year vs this year). The schedule should be re-adjusted annually instead of being fixed as it is now.
    5. Allow the teams to either play a cupcake school or have the week off before the SECCG.

The SEC is incredibly short-sighted and stubborn so these things will never happen but that would make the league even more likely to compete for the playoffs IMHO.
    How about nooooooo.....nothing is broken.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Probably physically in an airport somewhere, but in Tuscaloosa in spirit

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Getting rid of divisions is going to result in a lot of sham title games.
    Mizzou 2013 and 2014 say hi.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Probably physically in an airport somewhere, but in Tuscaloosa in spirit

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I think it would be a good idea, but I also think it has zero chance of happening. The reason we don't have a nine-game SEC schedule nowadays is...
    The proposal retains an eight game conference schedule...

BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar

What if SEC eliminated divisions?

Deleted

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colbysullivan View Post
    What makes you say that? The two best teams would play in the title game. How is that a sham?
    In the ACC, every game is a sham.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

delete

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    Pretty interesting thought exercise on what would have happened if SEC divisions had been eliminated after 2014 expansion: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...tball-thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    No divisions, no SECCG...

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah 63:1 View Post
    Mizzou 2013 and 2014 say hi.

2014 Mizzou wasnít a sham team. Had they outlasted Auburn then they wouldíve played for a national championship. 2016 Florida was far more of a sham than 2014 Mizzou.

But eliminating divisions and going to a 9 game schedule welcomes you to a lot of Kentucky and Vandy appearances because there would be a lot of 3 to 5 loss sec championship teams.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Just think about this. Without divisions and a 9 team schedule then Alabama could potentially play Auburn, UGA, UF, LSU, and aTm all in one year while Auburn could have a schedule that avoids all but 1 of those teams.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I would prefer that we get rid of conference championship games altogether. Expand the playoff to 8 teams. First round is played on conference championship weekend, then a re-seed and break until January, when the second round is played and the CFP plays out as it currently does. No more travel and expense for fans than the current model. Eliminates what is an unfair knockout game for the tougher conferences (like the SEC and B1G), and gives 8 teams a chance.

One caveat - no automatic qualifiers.
    Iíd be against round one being Championship weak for one reason. No prep time. The week after Auburn you then prep for any one of 4-5-6 possible opponents. That gives the advantage to teams that play fast.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I would prefer that we get rid of conference championship games altogether. Expand the playoff to 8 teams. First round is played on conference championship weekend, then a re-seed and break until January, when the second round is played and the CFP plays out as it currently does. No more travel and expense for fans than the current model. Eliminates what is an unfair knockout game for the tougher conferences (like the SEC and B1G), and gives 8 teams a chance.

One caveat - no automatic qualifiers.
    I'm for eliminating East and West.
    I'm also for a 9 team SEC season.