Warning before you go see“Joker” (no spoilers)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’m not really trying to review this as much as tell you what you should and shouldn’t go in expecting. I thought the movie was great, and Phoenix was amazing. But the movie isn’t for everyone

1) this movie is not for children. Unless you allow your kids to see “Taxi driver” or “Reservoir Dogs” then it is something that really pushes the line with gritty content

2) don’t expect a comic book movie- yes the Joker, The Waynes, and Gotham City are in the film. But until the last 20 minutes you really forget that this is a movie that is possibly telling the origin of the Joker. So don’t expect a lot of action, special effects, and comic book tropes. It’s more of a character study.

3) this movie is making political statements- I’m not talking about liberal and conservative on the nose statements. But more about the government’s involvement in mental health for the poor.

4) as usual the controversy of violence is overhyped. Deadpool had far more graphic violence than this. I think someone’s review I read said it best, “ if you change the director from Todd Phillips to Quentin Tarantino then there would be no controversy of violence”.

5) the movie is a slow burn- the movie isn’t overly long (2hrs), but it takes its time to build to the climax.

6) it can be a disturbing film- if you have issues watching people abuse the mentally I’ll physically and emotionally in film form in very graphic ways, and child abuse (not shown but told in detail) then you probably should wait. Also the film is designed to make you feel for the Joker as he starts to do these horrible things up to a point so it could be a disturbing concept for some.

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Of course it’s not for children, it’s rated R.

People who take kids to R rated movies are pathetic IMO. I’m an AMC A-List member and go to a lot of movies. Every R rated movie I have seen recently, except Rambo Last Blood, has had at least 1 family with kids under 10 with them. This includes Good Boys, IT 2, Deadpool 2 and many others.

I’ll probably go see Joker tonight. I’m looking forward to it, I really enjoy character study type films. Art house type films usually end up being some of my favorite ones.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I'm tired of 'The Joker', guys. I love the character but for the past decade of so, everything from video games to movies, to tv series involving Bruce Wayne/Batman, have all seem to be about the Joker. Time to put the character to bed for a while.

Even though I was not a fan of Afleck as Batman, I was really looking forward to seeing Deathstroke on the big screen, especially with Joe Manganiello as the titular character.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.