Game Thread: Jalen Hurts @ Kansas game thread

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I’m sorry but, anybody that can’t just watch both play and tell Tua is way better is lying to themselves. Besides, until competing with Tua everyday for the job, I remember when Jalen couldn’t even throw a simple 5 yard Hitch, that’s a fact! Plus, Tua isn’t the one that had to have emergency surgery on his skills!
Lincoln Riley has done a great job building the offense around Jalen. Most of his throws are single reads. His skills have definitely improved over the past two years--he's much more decisive, for instance.

But yeah, he's not in the same class as Tua.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Jalen is out of the game now.

Stats after 5 Games:

Jalen - 82 for 109 (75.2%) for 1,523 yards at 15.2 YPA for 14 TD's and 2 INTs

57 rushes for 502 yards at 8.8 YPC for 7 TD's

2,025 Total Yards and 21 TD's and 2 Turnovers

Tua - 113 for 148 (76.4%) for 1,718 yards at 11.6 YPA for 23 TD's and 0 INTs

16 rushes for 45 yards at 2.81 YPC for 2 TD's

1,763 Total Yards and 25 TD's and ZERO Turnovers

Tua Leads in Passing yards, Comp %, Passing TD's, Total TD's and Turnovers

Jalen leads in Rushing yards and Total Yards (because of rushing yards) and YPA Passing

I don't see how anyone can say Jalen is the outright favorite right now.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Hurts is not on Tagovailoa's level in passing but he will get credit for his impressive running. The Heisman is not necessarily about the best QB or best passer but the best football player. This will keep Hurts in the conversation for a while anyway.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Hurts is not on Tagovailoa's level in passing but he will get credit for his impressive running. The Heisman is not necessarily about the best QB or best passer but the best football player. This will keep Hurts in the conversation for a while anyway.
I understand Jalen 'being in the convo' just not being the outright favorite.

The game is simply about Scoring and Winning.

Jalen has a (10.5:1) TD to Turnover Ratio (21-2) which is Good...

Tua's is 25:0.... which is Better...and Perfect.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Hurts is an Oklahoma QB and therefore will be considered the favorite. Tua is a Bama QB and therefore will not be seriously considered. He had his chance last year and didn’t win. He should have won, but he didn’t.

RyanM

Suspended
Sep 14, 2019
Lincoln Riley has done a great job building the offense around Jalen. Most of his throws are single reads. His skills have definitely improved over the past two years--he's much more decisive, for instance.

But yeah, he's not in the same class as Tua.
I’m not saying he isn’t better, but the fact that he is better is because Tua helped teach him to be better. He was abysmal as a sophomore, and if not for his running, he would have been benched. Think about it, Passing wise he was worse than Freddie Kitchens, lol.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I’m not saying he isn’t better, but the fact that he is better is because Tua helped teach him to be better. He was abysmal as a sophomore, and if not for his running, he would have been benched. Think about it, Passing wise he was worse than Freddie Kitchens, lol.
Blasphemy!

Freddie Kitchens was amazing considering his offensive line play.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well, the fact that Daboll was incompetent in terms of making an offense for a dual threat quarterback was a major issue as well. His offense was built around Jalen's biggest weakness, and Daboll was as unable as Hurts to adapt.

Anyway, not sure what the Kitchen stuff is based off of. His career highs were a 117 rating, 2,124 yards and 14 TDs (not all the same season). Jalens under Daboll was 2,081 yards, 17 TDs, and 150 rating...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I'm not sure how Kitchens doesn't suffer from PTSD to this day from his Alabama playing days. Perhaps he does, I really don't know.
I'm pretty sure the dude got hit on 75% of his competitions - and a full third of those came before he threw the ball...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Ummmm....Jalen (As good as he is) is no Tua.
I think the gap isn't as big as some people would think, largely due to intangibles and the physicality Jalen has. No question Tua is a better passer, especially downfield, but Hurts might really be what Oklahoma needs more than anyone else, since he kind of paces their offense and eases some pressure from the defense.

Having said that, if they give it to Hurts over Tua this year, they'd basically be inventing new reasons to give an Oklahoma QB the award. Its a numbers award, the only (remotely justifiable) reason Murray won it over Tua last year was total numbers (the result of more snaps against lesser defenses but I digress), if Tua keeps this up and doesn't win it will be hypocritical.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
SIAP - From another board - Jalen, when asked about the pressure of his first Red River Shootout, said "I've played in the Iron Bowl. I think I'll be OK"... :D

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Fox is the Big 12 network, for all intents and purposes. They are pumping their conference player.

NM - just saw that it is on ABC, so I got nothing.
As I watched a bit of it, realized that ABC is also ESPN, and both are owned by the Mouse. Guess what network the Heisman will be aired on? Yeah. Another production of the Mouse.

Disney is quickly gobbling up every major media outlet, essentially owns all the sports broadcasting that is viewed in high volumes. Disney controls the narrative.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Name any QB in the country and you can say this. Tua is the real deal. Could have said that about the QB's from the last 3 classes. Tua>Trevor Lawrence.
Tua is one of the greatest QBs in college history. Last year he set the all time QB rating mark in his first year as a starter. If he can win (another) national title and a Heisman this year he'll have a case as the greatest college QB ever.

Jalen Hurts is a great QB. He really is. We focus on his sophomore slump too much, but he's really improved and may end up winning the Heisman himself. The fact he's no Tua isn't saying much at all.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Tua is one of the greatest QBs in college history. Last year he set the all time QB rating mark in his first year as a starter. If he can win (another) national title and a Heisman this year he'll have a case as the greatest college QB ever.

Jalen Hurts is a great QB. He really is. We focus on his sophomore slump too much, but he's really improved and may end up winning the Heisman himself. The fact he's no Tua isn't saying much at all.
I agree. I think Jalen is a very solid QB, but his vision and accuracy aren't even in the same ballpark with Tua. He has a solid arm and great wheels and is one heck of a competitor, but he isn't Tua. Then again, there aren't many who are in Tua's class.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Some thoughts about the KU game: for some reason weather delays seem to affect us. We never went back to the locker room after warmups because of the uncertain start time. Both our starting O-tackles were out. OU fans will tell you that Riley gets Mike Leach squirrely every game. During his presser after the game a toilet flushed as he was answering a question and he said...that's what we should have done with my play calling. Believe it or not our D is much improved. KU beat BC on the road this year. Now, don't get me wrong, they are still bad but we simply looked like we were thinking about Texas. Hurts is a very good QB and Riley will make it work but he is no Mayfield or Murray and he is no Tua. He is good enough to lead us to a 5th conference championship but it remains to be seen whether he can get us over the playoff hump.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.