Will Bama be able to pressure Mond? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Will Bama be able to pressure Mond?

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Plumlee's 247 confirmed time is 4.61, but he has been timed several times much faster. GA laser timed him at 4.42 in one of their camps.
    That dude moves really quickly.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Plumlee must be the fastest 4.61 on earth.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Second Team

I think we will see improvements on the D this Saturday....I would bet they felt at least a little embarrassed by the 31 Ole Miss put up. But look, when the game is in doubt, the defensive efficiency is still pretty good. It wasn't until after we were up 45-10 Saturday that things really spiraled, but how many 3rd stringers were in during garbage time.

Bama is 9th in defensive efficiency, with an 85.9 rating....the only team above Alabama in overall efficiency is Ohio State. Comparing defensive efficiency, Oklahoma is 68.0.

Overall defensive rankings are horrible, but that's because garbage time is included in them. Efficiency ratings take garbage time and down weight them significantly.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Cruloc View Post
    I think we will see improvements on the D this Saturday....I would bet they felt at least a little embarrassed by the 31 Ole Miss put up. But look, when the game is in doubt, the defensive efficiency is still pretty good. It wasn't until after we were up 45-10 Saturday that things really spiraled, but how many 3rd stringers were in during garbage time.

Bama is 9th in defensive efficiency, with an 85.9 rating....the only team above Alabama in overall efficiency is Ohio State. Comparing defensive efficiency, Oklahoma is 68.0.

Overall defensive rankings are horrible, but that's because garbage time is included in them. Efficiency ratings take garbage time and down weight them significantly.
    I just have a healthy degree of skepticism about the efficiency stats because this was basically the same argument about the 2018 defense all season until they got blew up by UGA, Oklahoma, and Clemson in consecutive games to end the season. Admittedly, Alabama's D had their moments late against UGA but they generally tore us up. I don't think this defense can defend quality offensive opponents well enough to win a title right now. Texas A&M is the best offense we will have faced thus far but I don't think the real test is until LSU.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I just have a healthy degree of skepticism about the efficiency stats because this was basically the same argument about the 2018 defense all season until they got blew up by UGA, Oklahoma, and Clemson in consecutive games to end the season. Admittedly, Alabama's D had their moments late against UGA but they generally tore us up. I don't think this defense can defend quality offensive opponents well enough to win a title right now. Texas A&M is the best offense we will have faced thus far but I don't think the real test is until LSU.
    The stat is legit. Over the years it has proven to be very reliable. But the stat is skewed when a team like Alabama is in play. Because Alabama scores so many points so quickly, much of the game shows as garbage time, even though both teams would still have in their starters. So, for most teams the stat is legit. For teams like Alabama - not so much.

BamaNation Second Team

I'm looking back at prior years to get some context....and really the only outliers from the top 3 to 5 teams are when Auburn made it in 10 and 13...their defensive efficiencies were not top 5. Other than that...the following are overall efficiency rankings for national title game teams.

2008 - 1. Florida 95.4, 2. Oklahoma 93.8
    2009 - 1. Alabama 89.3, 3. Texas 86.2.....Florida was #2
    2010 - 6. Oregon 87.2, 7. Auburn 84.0....Bama was #3
    2011 - 1. Alabama 92.5, 2. LSU 92.1....Okie State was #3
    2012 - 1. Alabama 95.4, 10. Notre Dame 77.8.....they didn't deserve to be there.
    2013 - 1. FSU 96.1, 10. Auburn 82.3....Bama was #2
    2014 - 1. Oregon 88.7, 3. Ohio State 87.5.....Bama was #4
    2015 - 1. Alabama 90.0, 2. Clemson 86.3
    2016 - 1. Alabama 93.5, 4. Clemson 87.1
    2017 - 1. Alabama 92.8, 2. Georgia 91.6
    2018 - 1. Alabama 96.9, 3. Clemson 90.8.....Georgia was #2

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    The stat is legit. Over the years it has proven to be very reliable. But the stat is skewed when a team like Alabama is in play. Because Alabama scores so many points so quickly, much of the game shows as garbage time, even though both teams would still have in their starters. So, for most teams the stat is legit. For teams like Alabama - not so much.
    I thought that was the case. We talent delta so many teams that it is hard to judge us until playing one of the 10-15 very best teams in the nation. We haven't lost to an unranked team since 2007. It is almost useless to use anything other than top end competition as a basis of analysis.

Southern Adirondack mountains of upstate NY

truly we have been blessed, sooner or later this train is gonna pull into the station for a stop.......and i am afraid of the wailing and gnashing of teeth that will ensue.......lets enjoy this ride while we have it.........roll tide

BamaNation Second Team Blindside17's Avatar

If they watched the film of Bama and Ole Miss and I'm sure they did. If I were them he would be running alot as the guy from Ole Miss did. It certainly worked for them all day long.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Speed as runner is important, but if the LBs and DBs read their keys, take the proper angles, and lock up when tackling, then the running QB can be contained. Part of the problem with playing man coverage, is the DB running with the WR with his back to the play. I do think the "mush rush" is the best way to play Mond.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

If they watched the film of ANY BAMA game and I'm sure they did. If I were them I would be running early too, because within the first 15 minutes they're going to have to throw the ball to catch up!!! RTR!!! on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside17 View Post
    If they watched the film of Bama and Ole Miss and I'm sure they did. If I were them he would be running alot as the guy from Ole Miss did. It certainly worked for them all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    Mond has more to grab.....

Plus, hopeful that the angles at 4.8 are different than 4.6.....especially for our rookie linebackers....
    True. If 4.6 is accurate, it was too fast for Lee, for whom I felt sorry...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Ols View Post
    If they watched the film of ANY BAMA game and I'm sure they did. If I were them I would be running early too, because within the first 15 minutes they're going to have to throw the ball to catch up!!! RTR!!! on TideFans.com
    That's a very good point and true. Only if a team could control every drive and keep it on the ground, would it work. IOW, no stops by us. I don't see that happening with the schedule as I see it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis