Will Bama be able to pressure Mond?

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I think we will see improvements on the D this Saturday....I would bet they felt at least a little embarrassed by the 31 Ole Miss put up. But look, when the game is in doubt, the defensive efficiency is still pretty good. It wasn't until after we were up 45-10 Saturday that things really spiraled, but how many 3rd stringers were in during garbage time.

Bama is 9th in defensive efficiency, with an 85.9 rating....the only team above Alabama in overall efficiency is Ohio State. Comparing defensive efficiency, Oklahoma is 68.0.

Overall defensive rankings are horrible, but that's because garbage time is included in them. Efficiency ratings take garbage time and down weight them significantly.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think we will see improvements on the D this Saturday....I would bet they felt at least a little embarrassed by the 31 Ole Miss put up. But look, when the game is in doubt, the defensive efficiency is still pretty good. It wasn't until after we were up 45-10 Saturday that things really spiraled, but how many 3rd stringers were in during garbage time.

Bama is 9th in defensive efficiency, with an 85.9 rating....the only team above Alabama in overall efficiency is Ohio State. Comparing defensive efficiency, Oklahoma is 68.0.

Overall defensive rankings are horrible, but that's because garbage time is included in them. Efficiency ratings take garbage time and down weight them significantly.
I just have a healthy degree of skepticism about the efficiency stats because this was basically the same argument about the 2018 defense all season until they got blew up by UGA, Oklahoma, and Clemson in consecutive games to end the season. Admittedly, Alabama's D had their moments late against UGA but they generally tore us up. I don't think this defense can defend quality offensive opponents well enough to win a title right now. Texas A&M is the best offense we will have faced thus far but I don't think the real test is until LSU.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I just have a healthy degree of skepticism about the efficiency stats because this was basically the same argument about the 2018 defense all season until they got blew up by UGA, Oklahoma, and Clemson in consecutive games to end the season. Admittedly, Alabama's D had their moments late against UGA but they generally tore us up. I don't think this defense can defend quality offensive opponents well enough to win a title right now. Texas A&M is the best offense we will have faced thus far but I don't think the real test is until LSU.
The stat is legit. Over the years it has proven to be very reliable. But the stat is skewed when a team like Alabama is in play. Because Alabama scores so many points so quickly, much of the game shows as garbage time, even though both teams would still have in their starters. So, for most teams the stat is legit. For teams like Alabama - not so much.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I'm looking back at prior years to get some context....and really the only outliers from the top 3 to 5 teams are when Auburn made it in 10 and 13...their defensive efficiencies were not top 5. Other than that...the following are overall efficiency rankings for national title game teams.

2008 - 1. Florida 95.4, 2. Oklahoma 93.8
2009 - 1. Alabama 89.3, 3. Texas 86.2.....Florida was #2
2010 - 6. Oregon 87.2, 7. Auburn 84.0....Bama was #3
2011 - 1. Alabama 92.5, 2. LSU 92.1....Okie State was #3
2012 - 1. Alabama 95.4, 10. Notre Dame 77.8.....they didn't deserve to be there.
2013 - 1. FSU 96.1, 10. Auburn 82.3....Bama was #2
2014 - 1. Oregon 88.7, 3. Ohio State 87.5.....Bama was #4
2015 - 1. Alabama 90.0, 2. Clemson 86.3
2016 - 1. Alabama 93.5, 4. Clemson 87.1
2017 - 1. Alabama 92.8, 2. Georgia 91.6
2018 - 1. Alabama 96.9, 3. Clemson 90.8.....Georgia was #2

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The stat is legit. Over the years it has proven to be very reliable. But the stat is skewed when a team like Alabama is in play. Because Alabama scores so many points so quickly, much of the game shows as garbage time, even though both teams would still have in their starters. So, for most teams the stat is legit. For teams like Alabama - not so much.
I thought that was the case. We talent delta so many teams that it is hard to judge us until playing one of the 10-15 very best teams in the nation. We haven't lost to an unranked team since 2007. It is almost useless to use anything other than top end competition as a basis of analysis.

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
If they watched the film of Bama and Ole Miss and I'm sure they did. If I were them he would be running alot as the guy from Ole Miss did. It certainly worked for them all day long.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Speed as runner is important, but if the LBs and DBs read their keys, take the proper angles, and lock up when tackling, then the running QB can be contained. Part of the problem with playing man coverage, is the DB running with the WR with his back to the play. I do think the "mush rush" is the best way to play Mond.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
If they watched the film of ANY BAMA game and I'm sure they did. If I were them I would be running early too, because within the first 15 minutes they're going to have to throw the ball to catch up!!! RTR!!!:Smiliz_Kingz_PDT_14 on TideFans.com

If they watched the film of Bama and Ole Miss and I'm sure they did. If I were them he would be running alot as the guy from Ole Miss did. It certainly worked for them all day long.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If they watched the film of ANY BAMA game and I'm sure they did. If I were them I would be running early too, because within the first 15 minutes they're going to have to throw the ball to catch up!!! RTR!!!:Smiliz_Kingz_PDT_14 on TideFans.com
That's a very good point and true. Only if a team could control every drive and keep it on the ground, would it work. IOW, no stops by us. I don't see that happening with the schedule as I see it...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Speed as runner is important, but if the LBs and DBs read their keys, take the proper angles, and lock up when tackling, then the running QB can be contained. Part of the problem with playing man coverage, is the DB running with the WR with his back to the play. I do think the "mush rush" is the best way to play Mond.
I'd rather call it a 'Smush Rush'. Chase him and plow him into the turf.
That has a way of making him rush his passes and throw it wildly to get it away.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I'd rather call it a 'Smush Rush'. Chase him and plow him into the turf.
That has a way of making him rush his passes and throw it wildly to get it away.
Ah, this makes me think of the good old days when phrases like plow him into the turf were common place. What can we say now? Let's get close to him and give him a good fright, but do not touch him in an aggressive manner or a flag will be thrown. :biggrin2:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
If we don't rush Mund, we may be in for a long day. :(
Jimbo will scheme to put the LB's in no mans land with his tight ends and backs and look for Mond to exploit the gap with his legs. Bama has not been able to generate much of an inside rush and hasn't held containment on the outside as CNS said ...by taking the inside angle. Can Bama's defense confuse Mond on critical downs? I hope they can show improvement otherwise defensive backs will be making a lot of downfield tackles and the time of possession arrow will go to TAMU. I believe this could prove to be a very frustrating game but hope the offense can take the pressure off the defense with a balanced dominating performance!

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Sure doesn't sound like we're talking about the number one team in America playing against a team that struggled mightily against ar-kansas last week...Time to get things right....The Ole Miss QB helped us prepare for this...Mond is in trouble...RTR!!!!
Jimbo will scheme to put the LB's in no mans land with his tight ends and backs and look for Mond to exploit the gap with his legs. Bama has not been able to generate much of an inside rush and hasn't held containment on the outside as CNS said ...by taking the inside angle. Can Bama's defense confuse Mond on critical downs? I hope they can show improvement otherwise defensive backs will be making a lot of downfield tackles and the time of possession arrow will go to TAMU. I believe this could prove to be a very frustrating game but hope the offense can take the pressure off the defense with a balanced dominating performance!

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
If Plumlee is a 4.65 runner I'm the next Catholic Pope (and I was raised Baptist). That boy was fast and quick. We were recruiting him as a DB and we don't recruit slow and clunky DBs.
I really don't understand all the negative vibe. Yeah, we have our weaknesses, too, just like anyone else but we have more talent than most and better coaching with most.
The way football is played now we're just not gonna have a "shut-down" defense. It is what it is. We have an offense that is explosive enough to outscore anyone we play and an above average defense who has the ability to stop most, if not all teams, more times than they can stop us so.......................just enjoy the ride.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.