Braves postseason needs losses and acquisitions

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Josh Donaldson signed with the Twins.

This sucks
Maybe not as bad as it seems. Josh was asking for way more money than anyone in the NL could make sense of. He will be hell in the AL.

But it does leave a void. I think our best option is what we are probably heading for and that is waiting for the Kris Bryant situation to be resolved, and probably pick up someone like Ozuma as well.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Maybe not as bad as it seems. Josh was asking for way more money than anyone in the NL could make sense of. He will be hell in the AL.

But it does leave a void. I think our best option is what we are probably heading for and that is waiting for the Kris Bryant situation to be resolved, and probably pick up someone like Ozuma as well.
I hope we can get someone better, but the Braves are going to have to spend some money.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Minor league deal, and I wonder if he will even make the roster.
I don't think so either. I think its just a "Maybe he has one of those surprise years" kinda thing. Or a "lets get some money from our minor leagues".

I think the Braves best bet at this point is to get Kris Bryant through trade to solidify our batting order.

Reactions: B1GTide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Thinking about it, and hearing some non Braves personalities talk about it. If we somehow acquire Kris Bryant then our team is probably the odds on favorite to go to the World Series.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Thinking about it, and hearing some non Braves personalities talk about it. If we somehow acquire Kris Bryant then our team is probably the odds on favorite to go to the World Series.
Without an ace? I just don't see it happening.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Without an ace? I just don't see it happening.
I agree that gambling on Soroka being the guy is a huge risk, but Im reminded that the Royals in 2015 rode Moustakis, Hosmer, Cain, and Gordon in their prime with a stacked bullpen and a serviceable rotation at best.

Its not the best strategy, but maybe the Braves's best strategy at this point. I just think we need to blast the ball from the start and pick up an ace at the deadline. Personally I would prefer an ace, but the damn Phillies and Yankees raised the prices way too high to compete for ones that we wanted so I guess we are left with what we are left with.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Don't get me wrong, I would feel more comfortable with our chances with a solid ace over trading for Kris Bryant, but at the same time I don't think at this point there will be anyone willing to trade for something that doesn't severely weaken out lineup for an ace. Our best shot was getting a FA, but the Phils just bet the bank on Wheeler

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Don't get me wrong, I would feel more comfortable with our chances with a solid ace over trading for Kris Bryant, but at the same time I don't think at this point there will be anyone willing to trade for something that doesn't severely weaken out lineup for an ace. Our best shot was getting a FA, but the Phils just bet the bank on Wheeler
I get it, but I do not believe that the Braves will win a WS without an ace. Another round of 2019 again in 2020.

Reactions: 81usaf92

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I get it, but I do not believe that the Braves will win a WS without an ace. Another round of 2019 again in 2020.
Maybe we get one at the deadline, or maybe Soroka is the guy that he was last year. Who knows, but I agree I would've preferred an Ace, but baseball is a big spending back office sport.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I disagree with both of you. I think they did address some issues this off season and I think, on paper, the team is better than last years'. I'm not going to over react to the Hamels news until we know more.

I just don't agree with trading our top prospects away. The Braves are still ahead of schedule for this rebuild, maybe by a year or 2. If they don't blow up the farm system now, and these prospects start producing soon, this team could be a contender for many years to come. If they do trade away the top prospects, and the team falls flat this year or next, then they are rebuilding all over again (unless they start making big time, top money moves like the Yanks and Dodgers but, that has never been the Braves m.o.). Right now, the Braves sit at #11 for payroll, only 2 spots behind the defending world champs. That's a good spot for this club, imo. Still have room to make some moves if needed without having to trade away our top prospects.

I think this team is in good shape. Biggest question mark is 3B. I'm going to assume that last year was a wake up call for Camargo and that he and Riley step up and wow us all. From what I have read, both of them have put in a lot of work this off season. Camargo especially, who has bulked up and talked the right game so far. If he can get closer to his 2018 numbers, we will be fine at 3B.

Anyway, I'm pumped for the season and wore my Braves jersey yesterday in celebration of pitchers and catchers reporting!

Reactions: Go Bama

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The question is "Would you sacrifice a decade for one world series like the Royals did or continue to build a farm system and pass on reasonable additions to win a couple of World Series". The god to honest truth is that there is a middle to both options, and we never take it. Had we gotten Stroman or Wheeler last year then we would at the very least been hosting the NLCS, but we just wouldn't do it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.