Braves postseason needs losses and acquisitions

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So the Braves re-sign Flowers, they are set with Freeman Albies and Swanson on the infield.

Assuming we re-sign Donaldson, then your set there. So Duvall to Right to replace Markakis. So do you platoon Culbertson with Austin Riley in left?

I think Culbertson is a must. Duvall should be retained until Riley comes to speed.

Markakis is probably the biggest question.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Most of the Brave's roster needs are met with returning players. Need catcher, frontline starter, closer and 3B. Need to sign Fried. Flowers would be an easy backup catcher fill. Culbertson would be a nice but unnecessary get.

• Flowers is not close to a frontline catcher - OK as backup.
  • Need a frontline 1-2 starter; could keep Tehran as 4 or 5 starter (he was decent-good until last 4 or 5 starts of the season). 2020 rotation: Soroka, ??, Fried, Tehran, ??. Maybe let Foltynewicz go if a 4 or 5 can be found at a reasonable price.
  • Need a power closer. IMO, Greene has the arm but not makeup for closer. A good 7th or 8th inning guy. Melancon has makeup but not arm for full time closer another good 7-8 inning guy. Something needs to be done with Newcomb who has good stuff - they need to decide: 5th starter, long relief, what? Relievers are hard to tell from year to year. They have a pretty good mix. Some have noted that LJ has been trusted too much. He's got good stuff (good slider, 96mph 4 seamer) and a willing heart but doesn't seem to know what to do with it.
  • Up to 3 years for JD at reasonable price. Other 3b options: Riley (great power for a moment, worth cultivation, glove ??), Camargo (still only 25, decent but improving bat, great clutch RBI man, mediocre glove).
  • LF: Duvall (.233 lifetime hitter with good power. Good fielder. 31 y/o) should not be starter. Either Riley or Camargo.
  • Should keep Inciarte in CF: great fielder in a "fielding" position. .285 lifetime hitter with a tad of pop. Doesn't walk enough for top of order, a 6-8 kind of guy.
  • RF: Markakis solid player with age on him. Not a good enough hitter for corner outfielder.
  • Lineup: c:?? 1B-3b Freeman, Albies, Swanson, ??Donaldson/Riley??, Outfield, R-L: Acuna, Inciarte, Riley/Camargo.
  • Pitching: Soroka, ??, Fried, ??, Tehran; Closer: ??, Melancon, Martin...Newcomb, Tomlin fill in the rest.
  • Bench: Camargo, Culbertson, Hechavarria (need decent middle IF, Culbertson and Camargo cost them a couple of games at SS), Joyce or other LH bat (need LH bat off the bench, Camargo is SH but better RH), Flowers

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Most of the Brave's roster needs are met with returning players. Need catcher, frontline starter, closer and 3B. Need to sign Fried. Flowers would be an easy backup catcher fill. Culbertson would be a nice but unnecessary get.

• Flowers is not close to a frontline catcher - OK as backup.
  • Need a frontline 1-2 starter; could keep Tehran as 4 or 5 starter (he was decent-good until last 4 or 5 starts of the season). 2020 rotation: Soroka, ??, Fried, Tehran, ??. Maybe let Foltynewicz go if a 4 or 5 can be found at a reasonable price.
  • Need a power closer. IMO, Greene has the arm but not makeup for closer. A good 7th or 8th inning guy. Melancon has makeup but not arm for full time closer another good 7-8 inning guy. Something needs to be done with Newcomb who has good stuff - they need to decide: 5th starter, long relief, what? Relievers are hard to tell from year to year. They have a pretty good mix. Some have noted that LJ has been trusted too much. He's got good stuff (good slider, 96mph 4 seamer) and a willing heart but doesn't seem to know what to do with it.
  • Up to 3 years for JD at reasonable price. Other 3b options: Riley (great power for a moment, worth cultivation, glove ??), Camargo (still only 25, decent but improving bat, great clutch RBI man, mediocre glove).
  • LF: Duvall (.233 lifetime hitter with good power. Good fielder. 31 y/o) should not be starter. Either Riley or Camargo.
  • Should keep Inciarte in CF: great fielder in a "fielding" position. .285 lifetime hitter with a tad of pop. Doesn't walk enough for top of order, a 6-8 kind of guy.
  • RF: Markakis solid player with age on him. Not a good enough hitter for corner outfielder.
  • Lineup: c:?? 1B-3b Freeman, Albies, Swanson, ??Donaldson/Riley??, Outfield, R-L: Acuna, Inciarte, Riley/Camargo.
  • Pitching: Soroka, ??, Fried, ??, Tehran; Closer: ??, Melancon, Martin...Newcomb, Tomlin fill in the rest.
  • Bench: Camargo, Culbertson, Hechavarria (need decent middle IF, Culbertson and Camargo cost them a couple of games at SS), Joyce or other LH bat (need LH bat off the bench, Camargo is SH but better RH), Flowers
Completely disagree with keeping Tehran. He is just way too inconsistent. We need another pitcher. The thinking that all we need is a closer is what got us where we are now.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Completely disagree with keeping Tehran. He is just way too inconsistent. We need another pitcher. The thinking that all we need is a closer is what got us where we are now.
Yeah I think missing out on Stroman hurt, but part of that was because Alex wouldnt open up discussions about Wheeler or Syndagard.

Right now everything must be put in to getting a starting pitcher, I think we could make a closer out of melancon or Martin (and Greene if we keep him), but we desperately need a #2 man. I think we could get Bumgarner cheap, but I think if we go that route then we might as well go all in on Cole Hamels and Wheeler as well with it.

Im just not impressed with Alex.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
It was a long post so I can understand your missing my 2nd bullet point: "Need a frontline 1-2 starter; could keep Tehran as 4 or 5 starter (he was decent-good until last 4 or 5 starts of the season). 2020 rotation: Soroka, ??, Fried, Tehran, ??".

So, I totally agree the Braves need a 1 or 2 starter. Also, IMO, Tehran is a decent-good 4 or 5 starter. He had a 3.00 ERA until his last 4 or 5 starts. Even then I wouldn't break my neck to keep him but he is already under contract and what are you going to get in a trade? The 4/5 starter is not that important anyway and has little effect in the postseason.

The Braves need a closer with a power arm. As I posted, Melancon has the makeup but not the arm for long term success but would be a good setup man. Also, IMO, Greene has the arm but not the makeup but like MM would be a good setup man. But they need a "power" closer, along with a 1/2 starter, along with Fried. They already have enough 4/5 starter material in MF (would have to be resigned), JT, SN, farm system.

In summary their primary needs are a front-of-rotation (1 or 2) starter, a power closer, a starting catcher. A bonus, maybe now a need, would be to sign JD to a reasonable 3 year deal. They have most everything else.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If it had not been a Freddie Freeman injury, it would have been something else.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
-We signed Flowers and Markakis

- dropped Tehran and Hamilton

- tendered the decision for Donaldson for a qualifying offer

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I like Markakis and I have nothing against Flowers, he's just very it and miss at times.

I thank Tehran for his serves and dedication but, honestly, I'm not sad to see him go.

I really hope we get Donaldson back, he's fun to watch.

I wish there was away we could have kept Hamilton for his speed but, I understand why he was let go. Dude is so fast though.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Braves need 2 top end pitchers or they are not going to win a WS, and I doubt they even go after 1. I don't think that their ownership cares if they ever win a WS. As long as they win enough to sell tickets, ownership will be happy.

Yeah, it sucks to be a Braves fan.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...braves-have-made-sp-a-priority-in-free-agency

Mad Bum would be a great #3 or #4 guy, and someone we really should try to get, but we really need a bonafide ace to go along with Soroka. I think if one of the Mets's aces comes available then we must make a move on them

If we get Mad Bum it could look like this

A1: Soroka
A2: ?
3. Bumgarner
4. Fried
5. Folty
Just saw this. Bumgarner is not what he once was. This seems like more of the same.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Just saw this. Bumgarner is not what he once was. This seems like more of the same.
I think he would be a good addition, but not the solution. I really think we need to ditch Dallas and go strong after any of the Mets starting pitchers that they let go. Bum does fortify our 3 and 4 spot, but the problem has always been about our Ace. Dallas just was consistant enough, and we trusted him way too much.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.