Braves postseason needs losses and acquisitions

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I think he would be a good addition, but not the solution. I really think we need to ditch Dallas and go strong after any of the Mets starting pitchers that they let go. Bum does fortify our 3 and 4 spot, but the problem has always been about our Ace. Dallas just was consistant enough, and we trusted him way too much.
Sadly I think Alex and crew would think Bum is the answer.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

A1: Soroka
A2: ?
3. Bumgarner
4. Fried
5. Folty
Bumgarner is an inning eater - he will pitch 200+ innings and take some pressure off your bullpen. As a third pitcher, he is better than Dallas and would be a great fit. Fried and Folty are also solid inning eaters, but neither is a playoff pitcher yet. Maybe they will take that next step this year, but you can't count on it.

Soroka - there is no way to know how well he will pitch next year. Players will have a book on him and pitchers generally take a step back in their second season. You can't assume that he will slide back, but if he is the ace, we are in trouble. He should be the #2 pitcher to take some pressure off and allow him to continue to develop.

The Braves need an ace - a #1 pitcher. Without one, the season is over before it begins, IMO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Agreed, but meaningless without a top of the order starting pitcher. I refuse to get sucked in again unless they bring in one of the aces this year.
From what is being reported, the Braves a seriously going after Rendon, and are basing their interest of Bumgarner and Donaldson on if they can reel him in. Basically we probably get 2 quality starters and Donaldson if we dont get Rendon.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Basically we probably get 2 quality starters and Donaldson if we dont get Rendon.
Honestly, this is what I would prefer. Rendon is great but, I think our lineup with Donaldson is in great shape. We need quality starters if we seriously want to make a run. If we lose Donaldson though, then we have a lineup problem and a starters problem.

Love the Smith pickup, that's huge!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Braves re-sign Martin. Really good news as it strengthens the late inning bullpen. So a late inning bullpen of Martin, Greene, Melancon, and Smith is a turn around from what we had last year. Still the #1 and #2 questions are " Are we going to get an Ace?" and "What about Donaldson?". The thing that has me worried is that there is considerable talk stating that Newcomb going back as a starter. While he certainly can be a capable one, it really points to we are going to get Bumgarner just to be able to get Donaldson. While Donaldson is great, he isn't worth not getting a true ace because we are effectively putting the season on Soroka. Like Big alluded to, folks are going to have more film on him in year 2, and we all saw what happened to Folty after a great year...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Braves re-sign Martin. Really good news as it strengthens the late inning bullpen. So a late inning bullpen of Martin, Greene, Melancon, and Smith is a turn around from what we had last year. Still the #1 and #2 questions are " Are we going to get an Ace?" and "What about Donaldson?". The thing that has me worried is that there is considerable talk stating that Newcomb going back as a starter. While he certainly can be a capable one, it really points to we are going to get Bumgarner just to be able to get Donaldson. While Donaldson is great, he isn't worth not getting a true ace because we are effectively putting the season on Soroka. Like Big alluded to, folks are going to have more film on him in year 2, and we all saw what happened to Folty after a great year...
It looks like the Braves front office have no interest in getting an ace. I have even heard rumblings that we may keep Keuchel. Some people never learn.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It looks like the Braves front office have no interest in getting an ace. I have even heard rumblings that we may keep Keuchel. Some people never learn.
Like I said earlier - I refuse to get roped in again if the Braves do not have an ace. You can win 90+ games in the regular season and make the playoffs with a roster like this, but you cannot win a WS. Now, I may watch, but it will be with tempered enthusiasm and without optimism - and that is not like me.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Honestly Bumgarner would be a better option than Dallas. If we don't get an Ace or quality #2 then we are really playing with fire. Our Bullpen and our lineup (even without JD) is good enough to win 90+. But unless we are already trying to play platoon baseball then we are looking for an early exit again

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Braves sign Catcher D'Arnaud

Not flashy but necessary

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/braves-sign-travis-d-e2-80-99arnaud-to-two-year-2416-million-contract/ar-BBXgdv2[/FONT]

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Braves sign Catcher D'Arnaud

Not flashy but necessary

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/braves-sign-travis-d-e2-80-99arnaud-to-two-year-2416-million-contract/ar-BBXgdv2[/FONT]
Meh, we needed a second catcher and I guess he will do.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So Cole Hamels is the guy... Not the door buster that we we were hoping for but I think he adds far more value to our rotation than Keuchel or Tehran did. This pretty much means Newcomb is our #5. I would guess Hamels is #2 or #3.

Now is where we find out if the Braves are serious about a championship. Donaldson is a must at this point.

Reactions: B1GTide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Not impressed with the pitcher we signed.
I think it’s more about how crazy the Phillies went for Wheeler, and the fact we needed someone. I think we wanted Wheeler, but the Phillies slung an open checkbook at him. We were never getting Gerrit or Stras so Hamels and Bum were probably our best options if Wheeler was unavailable.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
After seeing some of the contracts these players (not just the Braves) are getting, I really should have practiced baseball more. Maybe it is not too late to become an agent?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Like I said earlier - I refuse to get roped in again if the Braves do not have an ace. You can win 90+ games in the regular season and make the playoffs with a roster like this, but you cannot win a WS. Now, I may watch, but it will be with tempered enthusiasm and without optimism - and that is not like me.
to be fair, that is about the only way one can watch atlanta sports. (excepting atlanta united)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.