Anyone else believe Auburn secondary “mugs” receivers on every snap?

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
I believe Auburn is once again taking advantage of rules, or rules officiating, by playing a different kind of secondary scheme than anyone else in the SEC. I almost labeled the title “SEC Officials allow Auburn to mug receivers on every snap” but they did call a few pass interference calls on Auburn in the Florida game. However the officials were literally forced to through flags because the ball was thrown to the receiver as the Florida players were being held, pushed, etc. What are the college rules on downfield hands checking, holding receivers out of cuts, impeding routes, etc? Whatever they are, Auburn seems to be teaching their DBs to just hold on to receivers long enough at (and off) the line of scrimmage to allow their very good D-Line to get to the opposing QB. Moreover, officials don’t seem to want to call a penalty unless the ball is thrown to a receiver during the actual mugging of a receiver. Does the SEC now allow a DB to impede a receiver all the way down the field...and only be called for a penalty if the ball is thrown to the receiver? Is this kind of like Auburn making a living with the offensive linemen being more than 3 yards downfield on a RPO because NCAA referees initially wouldn’t call it? The way Nick stopped this tactic was he started teaching and doing it too.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
We have an official who posts on this board from time to time.
I recall a play in the national championship against Georgia in which a Ga linebacker absolutely mugged Najee in the end zone. Apparently the thought process was, "Oh crap. Najee has gotten open. Oh well, I may as well interfere with his catch, because otherwise is going to be a touchdown." Then he tackled Najee before the ball got there.
Ridley (I think) came out of nowhere and "intercepted" the ball and scored the touchdown before the ball even got to Najee.
The official never threw the flag.
The Tidefans poster who is an official later saw the play and said he would not have thrown the flag because Ridley caught the TD pass, so it did not matter what happened to Najee.
I believe this is wrong-headed. The UGA linebacker clearly and deliberately interfered with the intended receiver. Ridley just intercepted the ball, so if the flag had been thrown it would have been waved off.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If it isn't going to get called and you aren't doing it, that is on you. Take what the officials give you. Alabama should do more of this. Ohio State does. You figure out what will and will not get called in a game and go from there.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
That’s what makes our receivers so great. You cant get a hand on them because of their movement and speed. Plus if you play man at the line, the slants will kill you or they run deep right by you.

Auburn tries that with our group they are dust.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I know what you are talking about. They seem to play to NFL rules where you can wrap an arm around the receiver as long as you don’t turn them, or something along those lines. The agbarn DB’s are very handsy and have been for a while. It’s their way of not getting burned repeatedly.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That’s what makes our receivers so great. You cant get a hand on them because of their movement and speed. Plus if you play man at the line, the slants will kill you or they run deep right by you.

Auburn tries that with our group they are dust.
Last year, when they faced physical DBs at the LOS, they struggled to get separation. Not sure if that is still the case as no one has tried - yet.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Pass Interference is like offensive holding - if you go by the strict definition, it can be called on the majority of snaps during the game.

The difference between our team and others is our receivers ability to get separation. AU may try to mug them for a yard or two, but our guys are so good in their route running that they either break open or holding / PI becomes very apparent when the DB is holding on for dear life by blatantly holding.

Plus, Najee and Robinson won't be at the LOS - and they are pretty good at catching and running. :)

If we had only 1 good receiver, I'd be worried. But even with a strategy of "mugging", Auburn doesn't have enough quality DBs to cover 4 WRs + RBs.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Auburn breaks rules, water is wet, sugar is sweet, all Barn QB's are preseason Heisman candidates, puppies are fun, fall is the best time of year, CNS is the man, barner students roll their own yard.... you get the point.:wink:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
They've done it for so long their fans and Stan White think they are getting robbed when they actually get called for it.
An auburn DB could grab an opposing receivers arms, rip them off and beat him with the bloody end, and stan white would wonder why a flag was thrown and complain about it.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I believe Ruggs, Jeudy and other receivers worked on that in off season. They are more physical in blocking this year, so I'm going to assume that they will be more prepared this year for physical dbs.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I know what you are talking about. They seem to play to NFL rules where you can wrap an arm around the receiver as long as you don’t turn them, or something along those lines. The agbarn DB’s are very handsy and have been for a while. It’s their way of not getting burned repeatedly.
LSU had one DB that did constantly, his name was Greedy Williams. I preferred to called him Grabby Williams.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This is one of my favorites:
Barn-LSU 2006 in Jerdun-Hare.
auburn-v.-lsu-2006.jpg
The ball is not yet there, but the Barn DB is draped all over the LSU receiver like a blanket. Gilbert got burned and said to himself, "Well, shoot. I've gotten burned. I may as well interfere with the receiver because he is going to catch the ball anyway."
Here's another view, as split second later after the ball has been tipped.
auburn-v.-lsu-2006b.jpg
The refs threw the flag, then picked it up because eventually, the ball was tipped. This is complete horsecrap, since, if that was the rule you could tackle every receiver at the line of scrimmage and, as long as some defensive player eventually tips the ball, it's not interference.
Just another of the magical plays at Jerdun-Hare.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We have an official who posts on this board from time to time.
I recall a play in the national championship against Georgia in which a Ga linebacker absolutely mugged Najee in the end zone. Apparently the thought process was, "Oh crap. Najee has gotten open. Oh well, I may as well interfere with his catch, because otherwise is going to be a touchdown." Then he tackled Najee before the ball got there.
Ridley (I think) came out of nowhere and "intercepted" the ball and scored the touchdown before the ball even got to Najee.
The official never threw the flag.
The Tidefans poster who is an official later saw the play and said he would not have thrown the flag because Ridley caught the TD pass, so it did not matter what happened to Najee.
I believe this is wrong-headed. The UGA linebacker clearly and deliberately interfered with the intended receiver. Ridley just intercepted the ball, so if the flag had been thrown it would have been waved off.
I remember the play and also the poster, "Indy Bison." Everyone was frustrated by his approach. He also said that flags shouldn't be thrown for OL holding, when it's on the opposite side of the play and doesn't affect it. My problem with that, and which I enunciated at the time, was that you go through most of the game with its not being called and then "boom!", at a critical point in the game. It's the perfect setup for an official with a conflict of interest. Of course, his position was that those officials don't - or almost don't - exist. To which, I have the same reaction as when told there are no crooked cops...

Last edited:

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
Barn DBs regularly grab and hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
absolutely. Drove me nuts in the last game we lost at Jordan Hare.

More than it being occasional .. it is part of their secondary game plan. I dont think Kevin Steele coached like that at Bama .. but then again CNS had more input in it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.