Anyone else believe Auburn secondary “mugs” receivers on every snap?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
This is one of my favorites:
Barn-LSU 2006 in Jerdun-Hare.
View attachment 4576
The ball is not yet there, but the Barn DB is draped all over the LSU receiver like a blanket. Gilbert got burned and said to himself, "Well, shoot. I've gotten burned. I may as well interfere with the receiver because he is going to catch the ball anyway."
Here's another view, as split second later after the ball has been tipped.
View attachment 4577
The refs threw the flag, then picked it up because eventually, the ball was tipped. This is complete horsecrap, since, if that was the rule you could tackle every receiver at the line of scrimmage and, as long as some defensive player eventually tips the ball, it's not interference.
Just another of the magical plays at Jerdun-Hare.
I remember that. Barn DBs were doing more than mugging. I think LSU had to break out rape kits for their WR corps during the game.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Pass Interference is like offensive holding - if you go by the strict definition, it can be called on the majority of snaps during the game.

The difference between our team and others is our receivers ability to get separation. AU may try to mug them for a yard or two, but our guys are so good in their route running that they either break open or holding / PI becomes very apparent when the DB is holding on for dear life by blatantly holding.

Plus, Najee and Robinson won't be at the LOS - and they are pretty good at catching and running. :)

If we had only 1 good receiver, I'd be worried. But even with a strategy of "mugging", Auburn doesn't have enough quality DBs to cover 4 WRs + RBs.
Their defensive line is a strength, which changes how long they really have to disrupt the receiver.

In the Florida game, the “physical” Auburn db (Noah Igbinoghene ) got caught a few times in critical moments, and that’s all you can really hope for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's shameful the things the Barntarded ones get away with at Jerbil/Hair/Dye Coven. It was so gratifying last year when Coach Short Bus got flagged for arguing an obvious hold that negated a TD. "You don't make that call in the Iron Bowl", he screams. "We beat the dog crap out of 'em", in 2017 at home vs Georgia(only to get dominated in the more meaningful game in a rematch). In 2014, "We coulda hung 60 on them"(only scores 44, loses game). In 2014, "Wait til we get them at home next year(loses). In 2015 they slick their field down. They do nothing but run between the tackles. Derek Henry still plays slip n' slide for over 200 yards. Coach Short Bus fits them perfectly. They are part witchcraft, part voodoo, and a whole lot of backwoods redneck. Their brief limited success at times is nowhere close to their overall futility.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
It's shameful the things the Barntarded ones get away with at Jerbil/Hair/Dye Coven. It was so gratifying last year when Coach Short Bus got flagged for arguing an obvious hold that negated a TD. "You don't make that call in the Iron Bowl", he screams. "We beat the dog crap out of 'em", in 2017 at home vs Georgia(only to get dominated in the more meaningful game in a rematch). In 2014, "We coulda hung 60 on them"(only scores 44, loses game). In 2014, "Wait til we get them at home next year(loses). In 2015 they slick their field down. They do nothing but run between the tackles. Derek Henry still plays slip n' slide for over 200 yards. Coach Short Bus fits them perfectly. They are part witchcraft, part voodoo, and a whole lot of backwoods redneck. Their brief limited success at times is nowhere close to their overall futility.
Jerbil Hair????? :biggrin2: Glad I didn't have mouthful of coffee!!

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
It is concerning to me that Officials admit they see things that are call-worthy but not called. Yet I can recall a half dozen plays where a ref called Holding or Illegal Procedure for "Presnap movement" by a Bama Guard or Tackle even though even Danielson could not find it on replay video. Just examples. It happens to everyone I realize...but why is it that most cases occur inside the Redzone? But yeah...Awbun Corners do molest...but so does OM and Mizzou. Sometimes our guys are lucky to avoid PI calls. I get that. But to me..seems like NCAA refs get a little worse every year. Especially since football looks more like basketball now.

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
I would love for college to adopt the new NFL rule about challenging a play when PI was not called on the field. Just the threat of being able to challenge might get the aubbie dbs off our wide receivers backs on some plays.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I would love for college to adopt the new NFL rule about challenging a play when PI was not called on the field. Just the threat of being able to challenge might get the aubbie dbs off our wide receivers backs on some plays.

Have you actually watched these challenges in an NFL game? They still don't call them even on replay. I don't think I have seen one overturned or called after the fact yet.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Their defensive line is a strength, which changes how long they really have to disrupt the receiver.

In the Florida game, the “physical” Auburn db (Noah Igbinoghene ) got caught a few times in critical moments, and that’s all you can really hope for.

Correct. The d-line is the Barn strength. Steele recognizes this. He generally will play a lot of press man on the outside especially. The DBs get their hands into the receivers, try get them off their route, grab & hold on the release hoping to buy an extra second or two to get to or at least pressure the quarterback.

They did it all game two years ago in the loss down there. Saturday against Florida was the first time I saw it reasonably called.

But as CA said in an earlier post, it isn’t illegal until they call it. And getting flagged for it once or twice in a game is well worth it if it is giving the defensive line the chance to disrupt the offense.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I made several references to this in the auburn vs Florida game thread. #4 in the auburn secondary was called for PI 2 times in 3 plays because he tackled the WR, not hand fighting or grabbing, literally dragging him down by the waist. In defense of the officials it is a tough call to make in some cases, but what I saw from auburn last Saturday was a deliberate tactic not just going for the ball.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Gus is from the Ozarks, where NASCAR was born and the motto is "If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'". This is closely followed by "It ain't cheating if you don't get caught". Of course Auburn does this, and many other things as well. Count the players when auburn is facing third and long on the opponent's side of the field. Gus will often try to sneak a 12th man in there. If he gets away with it, great. If not, he will just take the penalty and give his punter a bit more room.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Nailed it - and like a previous poster noted, there are crooked refs and they are most definitely on the secret payroll down there.

They also have the stadium set up and wired to intercept visual signals from the opponents sideline to their huddle. Camera Technology has come a long way...

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
We have an official who posts on this board from time to time.
I recall a play in the national championship against Georgia in which a Ga linebacker absolutely mugged Najee in the end zone. Apparently the thought process was, "Oh crap. Najee has gotten open. Oh well, I may as well interfere with his catch, because otherwise is going to be a touchdown." Then he tackled Najee before the ball got there.
Ridley (I think) came out of nowhere and "intercepted" the ball and scored the touchdown before the ball even got to Najee.
The official never threw the flag.
The Tidefans poster who is an official later saw the play and said he would not have thrown the flag because Ridley caught the TD pass, so it did not matter what happened to Najee.
I believe this is wrong-headed. The UGA linebacker clearly and deliberately interfered with the intended receiver. Ridley just intercepted the ball, so if the flag had been thrown it would have been waved off.
A mugging is a mugging, regardless of which team. Regardless of a TD.
And YES, I do believe Auburn mugs our receivers every play.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
GrayTide’s following sentence is the heart of the matter: “... what I saw from auburn last Saturday was a deliberate tactic not just going for the ball.”

I would like for someone to ask CNS about his feelings on this, with a follow-up of if Auburn and other SEC secondary’s are using this type coverage without getting called for PI, should Alabama start using it too?

Last edited:

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
"Back in the day" when I played (No, we did not wear leather helmets. In fact, we even had facemasks.) pass interference would've been called on every play if we did what they do today. If you so much as touched the receiver, unless you had an equal play on the ball, you were flagged. All this grabbing and pushing and mauling the guy while he's trying to run his route was not tolerated.

Also, the ball was placed at the point of the foul, not 15 yards from the original LOS. If you interfered in the end zone, the offense got the ball at the 1-yard-line. That's the way it should be. Otherwise, any time you're covering a guy more than 15 yards downfield, if he's going to make the catch, just tackle the dude and take the penalty. That's so bogus.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Like the post...LOVE the close!!!RTR!!!

"Back in the day" when I played (No, we did not wear leather helmets. In fact, we even had facemasks.) pass interference would've been called on every play if we did what they do today. If you so much as touched the receiver, unless you had an equal play on the ball, you were flagged. All this grabbing and pushing and mauling the guy while he's trying to run his route was not tolerated.

Also, the ball was placed at the point of the foul, not 15 yards from the original LOS. If you interfered in the end zone, the offense got the ball at the 1-yard-line. That's the way it should be. Otherwise, any time you're covering a guy more than 15 yards downfield, if he's going to make the catch, just tackle the dude and take the penalty. That's so bogus.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn

But they would have to also adjust today's blocking rules.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.