Anyone else believe Auburn secondary “mugs” receivers on every snap?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Anyone else believe Auburn secondary “mugs” receivers on every snap?

I believe Auburn is once again taking advantage of rules, or rules officiating, by playing a different kind of secondary scheme than anyone else in the SEC. I almost labeled the title “SEC Officials allow Auburn to mug receivers on every snap” but they did call a few pass interference calls on Auburn in the Florida game. However the officials were literally forced to through flags because the ball was thrown to the receiver as the Florida players were being held, pushed, etc. What are the college rules on downfield hands checking, holding receivers out of cuts, impeding routes, etc? Whatever they are, Auburn seems to be teaching their DBs to just hold on to receivers long enough at (and off) the line of scrimmage to allow their very good D-Line to get to the opposing QB. Moreover, officials don’t seem to want to call a penalty unless the ball is thrown to a receiver during the actual mugging of a receiver. Does the SEC now allow a DB to impede a receiver all the way down the field...and only be called for a penalty if the ball is thrown to the receiver? Is this kind of like Auburn making a living with the offensive linemen being more than 3 yards downfield on a RPO because NCAA referees initially wouldn’t call it? The way Nick stopped this tactic was he started teaching and doing it too.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Re: Anyone else believe Auburn secondary “mugs” receivers on every snap?

We have an official who posts on this board from time to time.
    I recall a play in the national championship against Georgia in which a Ga linebacker absolutely mugged Najee in the end zone. Apparently the thought process was, "Oh crap. Najee has gotten open. Oh well, I may as well interfere with his catch, because otherwise is going to be a touchdown." Then he tackled Najee before the ball got there.
    Ridley (I think) came out of nowhere and "intercepted" the ball and scored the touchdown before the ball even got to Najee.
    The official never threw the flag.
    The Tidefans poster who is an official later saw the play and said he would not have thrown the flag because Ridley caught the TD pass, so it did not matter what happened to Najee.
    I believe this is wrong-headed. The UGA linebacker clearly and deliberately interfered with the intended receiver. Ridley just intercepted the ball, so if the flag had been thrown it would have been waved off.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

If it isn't going to get called and you aren't doing it, that is on you. Take what the officials give you. Alabama should do more of this. Ohio State does. You figure out what will and will not get called in a game and go from there.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

That’s what makes our receivers so great. You cant get a hand on them because of their movement and speed. Plus if you play man at the line, the slants will kill you or they run deep right by you.

Auburn tries that with our group they are dust.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar

I know what you are talking about. They seem to play to NFL rules where you can wrap an arm around the receiver as long as you don’t turn them, or something along those lines. The agbarn DB’s are very handsy and have been for a while. It’s their way of not getting burned repeatedly.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    That’s what makes our receivers so great. You cant get a hand on them because of their movement and speed. Plus if you play man at the line, the slants will kill you or they run deep right by you.

Auburn tries that with our group they are dust.
    Last year, when they faced physical DBs at the LOS, they struggled to get separation. Not sure if that is still the case as no one has tried - yet.

BamaNation All-American tidefanbeezer's Avatar

Pass Interference is like offensive holding - if you go by the strict definition, it can be called on the majority of snaps during the game.

The difference between our team and others is our receivers ability to get separation. AU may try to mug them for a yard or two, but our guys are so good in their route running that they either break open or holding / PI becomes very apparent when the DB is holding on for dear life by blatantly holding.

Plus, Najee and Robinson won't be at the LOS - and they are pretty good at catching and running.

If we had only 1 good receiver, I'd be worried. But even with a strategy of "mugging", Auburn doesn't have enough quality DBs to cover 4 WRs + RBs.

It's only illegal if the refs call it.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Yes they do. They're very adept at it, but they do get called from time to time and when they do, they tend to back off a bit.

YES, I BELIEVE IT ... I hope the refs call it more often on them but I doubt that happens, especially when we play them.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Last year, when they faced physical DBs at the LOS, they struggled to get separation. Not sure if that is still the case as no one has tried - yet.
    How many of those games had a healthy Tua with the OL giving him time to throw?
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Auburn breaks rules, water is wet, sugar is sweet, all Barn QB's are preseason Heisman candidates, puppies are fun, fall is the best time of year, CNS is the man, barner students roll their own yard.... you get the point.

BamaNation All-American BamaDMD's Avatar

They've done it for so long their fans and Stan White think they are getting robbed when they actually get called for it.