Bama Game Thread: Official Postgame Thread Bama vs. TAMU...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Tua proved once again that he may be the finest passer to ever play the college game. His off day: 300 yards passing and 4 TDs. Off day redefined.
Exactly and if Ruggs and Waddle had not been giving us short fields the whole game he would have thrown for over 400 yards. I will take this off day every time based on our field position.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Exactly and if Ruggs and Waddle had not been giving us short fields the whole game he would have thrown for over 400 yards. I will take this off day every time based on our field position.
Told someone this Sunday. Tua only had half the field to work with since drives were starting at the 50+ almost every time. He still put up those numbers even with the offense basically shutting down the passing game for the fourth quarter. This offense is nuts.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Count me as surprised at how Florida, with an inexperienced QB, was able to move the ball and score against LSU. That is encouraging to believe that Tua and Bama's offense will be able to match up well in a shoot out with LSU. With no turnovers Bama's probability of a win at home increases. Obviously anything can happen against Auburn!!
I like this observation. I honestly believe our offense, especially with Brown at RG and Dickerson at center, will be able to provide Tua with excellent protection and open running lanes for Najee and Brian. LSU's secondary is probably the best we will face all year and our WRs may have to work a little harder to get free.

My biggest concerns still lie with the defense, and the kicking game. With these two offenses, field position and turnovers may likely decide the outcome.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I felt throughout the game like Tua was just a little bit off. He missed several throws that he usually doesn’t miss. Boy I am spoiled. His accuracy is uncanny, and if he just misses a couple of throws like any normal quarterback would do it means he’s having an off game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought the same, but seeing the game in person isn't like watching on TV.

It's possible the wind could have impacted his throws more than usual. There was a cold north wind blowing that made it feel cooler than the actual temp. It also switched around to blow a little out of the east as the game when on. Maybe it swirled a little on the field?

Really looking forward to seeing more of the pass rush " triangle " of Barmore, Jennings and Lewis. IF everybody can stay healthy between now and LSU, It could well help us to put together some new packages that LSU will not have seen. Barmore is apparently already drawing double and triple teams.
It really think we'll be able to affect Burrow even more. Mond's biggest strength is his ability of run out of the pocket. Burrow will be much easier to rush without fear of losing containment. I think our pass rush is trending and hopefully will be ready that day to keep Burrow uncomfortable.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Another point I'd like to make is that Tua is doing exactly what A LOT of people complained about him not doing last year

- checking down to the back out of the backfield when the receivers are covered.

I've seen him start to throw the long ball, only to stop and dump it to Najee or Robinson in the flats for big gains.
As Donaldson said, when Tua has all that talent at WR to throw to, but can also check down and throw it to Najee who is wide open in the flats, that's unfair.
I agree and I'm starting to get really annoyed with my fellow fans again.

It's pretty much as if Tua isn't having a PERFECT day every single week he's open to some type of criticism.

He was hovering around a 70% completion rate all day but every time he threw a ball that wasn't perfectly placed here came the 'He Off' crowd.

Well maybe some of him being off is the OL/RB isn't prefectly blocking all the time either.... and Tua is having to dodge/sidestep a free defender and then throw on the run...

OR same scenario but Tua has to just throw the ball away OOB or near an eligible receiver/RB to avoid the Sack/TFL.

His Deep Ball accuracy has also taken a hit because he's not throwing them nearly as often. He for the most part IS looking them off and checking them down.

So I mean make up your (royal your) mind about what you wan't to complain about. Tua fixed the things he was criticized for and yet he STILL gets criticized.

It's ticking me off pretty bad to be honest. We'd be in BAD shape without Tua with regards to Championship aspirations.

He's a good kid who work's hard and give his teammates all the praise for his individual success....

So lay off the kid.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I have LSU ranked no. 1 in my current weekly poll—three spots ahead of our team. I assure you that I do not think a win against them is a given. But I DO have a lot of confidence and think we will beat them.

As for the whole Auburn at JHS thing, all kidding aside I think we’ve dissected this as much as either one of us can but I’ll try to give you a little more insight into my way of looking at it. You view the game with no fear and lots of optimism while I am much more cautious—the truth is BOTH of us can use history to support our approach. While you are no doubt thinking of 1999, 2001, 2009, 2011, and 2015, I’m looking back at 1989, 1993, 1997(I know we were the inferior team that season, but still the ‘weird things happen in JHS stadium’ held true in this game with the Scissum fumble) 2005, 2013, and 2017. They play harder and with more emotion against us than anyone else, while I think we have a tendency to play very tight(especially in that stadium). They know they will never have the tradition and level of success that we have, so beating us head to head is all they have to hang their hat on and it means EVERYTHING to them. Half of my family are barn fans and my neighbor across the street from my house had a son and father(a name that you would recognize) that both played for them so I know this well. So, while it hasn’t driven me mad(yet);), I will always get nervous anytime we have to go to JHS.
Glad to see you view LSU as a threat because they are - an upset wouldn't be a shock.

I agree with many of your points regarding AU and JHS. They, like most all of Bama's opponents, view the game vs Bama unlike any other. Even after the game is "over" they act as though scoring another point or gaining another yard is a special achievement. JHS is as energetic as LSU, UF and any other top stadium - to their credit there are probably none better. And they have gotten some fortunate bounces throughout their history, seemingly more than most programs. Nevertheless, most programs do get them, especially if you are a top 13-17 type program historically. Some Bama fans act indignant when AU has a good season or a top team, as if cosmic protocol has been violated.

OTOH, Bama usually is tight at the beginning of any big game, not just AU. It was the same under Coach Bryant. It doesn't show in useless energy like jumping around, etc., but it's there because they want it bad. Most don't realize hat one of Bama's little mentioned and underrated strengths is their incredible will to win. It's always there under Wade, Drew, Bryant, even Curry, DuBose, et al. In big games it is manifest in tightness early but usually great or at least intense play throughout. One reason why the Clemson debacle was such a gut-punch was not the score so much as they "looked" like the fire was missing - that was worse than the loss. In summary: IMO, AU's will to win is little or no greater than Bama's in this game, no matter the appearances. They show it differently and are in a different position/role than AU.

Bama has had its share of "voodoo" moments vs AU: wrong-way Bo (a bigger upset, not talking about the line, than any recent AU wins - cost AU an SEC title), Tiffin, last minute in J-H in 09, AU with 2000 yds of O, but only 44 and a loss in 14, Stabler in the mud, and Bama has won the only 2 games where both teams were undefeated, in 71 in a blowout and 94. All this being said, AU has had far more opportunities to upset Bama's great season than Bama has had. Since 1970 Bama has beaten AU by more than 10 ~17 times, AU once in 17 by 12 in which Bama was leading w/3 min left in 3rd qtr. Bama has often played AU off their feet when Bama was badly over matched vs several Dye, Bowden and Tuberville teams. In summary: IMO, Bama has not just had more talent but has outplayed AU in relation to their talent over time.

I contend that AU was as good or better (not in record but the team) than Alabama in 89 and 05 - they were definitely physically superior. IMO, they were a better "team" in 10 and 13, though less talented, and were playing much better in 17 with the injuries and the offense having cratered with Jalen and CNS's understandable reluctance to replace him. In summary: it hasn't been voodoo but primarily tangible reasons why AU has won a few. They are a good program, have had some very good teams, even NC caliber teams, along with breaks that everyone gets, even if they have likely gotten more than most, and some odd ones.

Put yourself in AU's shoes: They have a top 13-17 program with 2 legit NCs, only LSU and UF have more in the SEC with 3, tied with UT with 2, and are totally eclipsed by the greatest program in history who resides in their own state to whom CF means so much. That's a rough sports lot in life. OTOH, no need to give them more credit than they deserve by having an inordinate fear as some do, because they have never beaten a very good or great Bama team with a bad, mediocre or good team - they've been very good or great.

Btw, thanks for being a good sport.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.