Gary and Brad .....

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The current Danielson/Nessler combination would be no higher than 3rd spot in the Disney/ESPN bullpen. Herbstreit/Fowler is the gold standard for college football booth crews. Blackledge/McDonough is great too. Sean McDonough was not a fit for MNF but I think the ESPN Primetime CFB crew is fantastic.

I don't watch hardly any of the NBC Notre Dame coverage but Mike Tirico was always top-tier on ESPN. These things tend to depend a lot on the likeability and insightfulness of the color guy and I couldn't tell you a thing about Doug Flutie as a commentator.
Don’t you rank Bama 3rd too?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
No, people filter everything through their biases and insecurities. The LSU fans around me swear Danielson is a Bama "homer" and hates LSU. Every fanbase who hears Danielson call a game their team is playing in, think he's "rooting" for the other team. A lot of Bama fans on here think he hates Alabama. So, in reality, the guy must be pretty unbiased if every fan base thinks he hates their team.

I actually like how he calls a game. Yeah, he has a tendency to "get on something" and run it into the ground. But it's not so bad that it takes away from the expertise he brings to the table.
To be exact, he's not "calling the game" at all. That's Nessler's job. He's the "color guy." I think the major factor in the "anti-Bama" attitude Bama fans perceive is what's been mentioned above - almost every game, he finds himself in the position of trying to maintain interest in a game which is out of reach for our opponent. One way of doing that is to find something interesting and nitpick it. That's exactly what's happening...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
To be exact, he's not "calling the game" at all. That's Nessler's job. He's the "color guy." I think the major factor in the "anti-Bama" attitude Bama fans perceive is what's been mentioned above - almost every game, he finds himself in the position of trying to maintain interest in a game which is out of reach for our opponent. One way of doing that is to find something interesting and nitpick it. That's exactly what's happening...
I like him. I liked Verne too. My only issue with him is that he can’t move on to the next play.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
He does it in every game, even those not Bama related. I've listened to him in other games not Bama related and he'll get on something and nit pick it to death. I just think it's part of his style. I literally laugh when I hear or read posts FB from fans that Gary's done their game. They say the same things Bama fans who can't stand him say. They say he "hates" their team and is "biased" against their team. Or the best one is "It's obvious he wants the other team to win." LOL! Gary just has that special talent of raking on some peoples nerves. I don't have that big of an issue with his hang ups.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He does it in every game, even those not Bama related. I've listened to him in other games not Bama related and he'll get on something and nit pick it to death. I just think it's part of his style. I literally laugh when I hear or read posts FB from fans that Gary's done their game. They say the same things Bama fans who can't stand him say. They say he "hates" their team and is "biased" against their team. Or the best one is "It's obvious he wants the other team to win." LOL! Gary just has that special talent of raking on some peoples nerves. I don't have that big of an issue with his hang ups.
He doesn't really bother me as much as he does others. However, I still maintain that, his flaws, if you call them that, stick out much more with Bama games because he has to work much harder providing color...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
No, people filter everything through their biases and insecurities. The LSU fans around me swear Danielson is a Bama "homer" and hates LSU. Every fanbase who hears Danielson call a game their team is playing in, think he's "rooting" for the other team. A lot of Bama fans on here think he hates Alabama. So, in reality, the guy must be pretty unbiased if every fan base thinks he hates their team.

I actually like how he calls a game. Yeah, he has a tendency to "get on something" and run it into the ground. But it's not so bad that it takes away from the expertise he brings to the table.
That's how I used to feel...but I grew tired of his singular focus ad nauseam...I'm getting old...but evidently I'm not nearly as old as Tide-HSV -- freshman in 57? You need to update your photo!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.