Gary and Brad .....

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Nessler is great and as good as an replacement for Verne as there could be and I like Gary, very knowledgeable but the way he calls games is sometimes annoying, particularly Alabama games because it seems like 90% of his commentary is about how the opposing team can beat Alabama, I mean it was like the whole 2nd half was about A&M “fighting”.
You have to think about it from the perspective of what his purpose is, which is providing sound analysis and keeping viewers interested in the game. I think he's the best analyst in college football, better than Herbstreit, Blackledge or Klatt. As for keeping viewers interested in the game, think about how difficult of a task that is in the vast majority of Alabama games CBS has covered over the last 10 years. The only way to do it is to make it seem that the other team has a chance by cherry-picking stats and facts. I'm sure he's really thinking in his mind that once Alabama gets a two score lead on you, you're done, so forget about a comeback.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Fixates on every team?? The dude hopes and fantasizes for an Alabama loss and if you can't see it, I don't know what to tell you.
His producer decides a lot of what is going on discussion wise. Production knows mostly everyone outside Alabama is watching to see the Tide get tripped up. Production knows everyone in Alabama will be watching regardless of what they're saying. He probably doesn't give a rip either way, he's just being a company man.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Fixates on every team?? The dude hopes and fantasizes for an Alabama loss and if you can't see it, I don't know what to tell you.
Gary danielson and Chris collinsworth have the same problem, and it is they treat the viewers if they don’t understand anything about football. So they will overexplain a play, and will continuously talk about it even when the next play is going on.

It just seems like he is picking on Alabama because he doesn’t shut up, and tends to ride refs. Just watch next week and he will do the same thing with Florida, Georgia, or Mizzou. He isn’t Brandoing it like Alabama fans accuse him of doing, it is just his style of color commentating.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Gary channeling Verne today: @least once:Landon Lincolnson...or a few Dickinsons...rarely a Dickerson...:Joker_PDT_31: on TideFans.com

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
I think Gary's biggest problem is that when he has a thought he can't stop himself from saying it before he actually processes it. He makes some dumb comments and probably realizes I should have thought about that before I said it.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I think they realize Bama is dominant in this era and they're doing everything they can to make it "interesting" for non-Bama fans who are watching. In doing so, Gary becomes insufferable and Nessler becomes his sidekick.

What I wish more than changing announcers is consistency in officiating. I made a comment in the game thread that I no longer understand the rules or how they are applied. Any attempt to understand what a "catch" is, what "targeting" is, what "blind side block" is, what "pass interference" is, what constitutes "reviewable call", what makes a play "overturnable", or what a "late hit" or "roughing the QB" is, is no longer meaningful.

The answer to all the above is: whatever the current crop of zebras on the field determines them to be at that moment in the game. This is true for every game I watched yesterday.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
It's hilarious to me how worked up some people get over Gary Danielson.
My main problem w/ him is his inability to let something go and constant references to past games that have no correlation to anything in the present game.

His insight is unparalled IMHO. His delivery, not so much.

That said, Brad & Gary, when compared to any of the other crews on games I watched yesterday are orders of magnitude better. My wife even commented on one game that they sounded like local HS broadcast guys. So, I'll take them, but I ain't gonna stop yelling at them through the TV! :D

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
My main problem w/ him is his inability to let something go and constant references to past games that have no correlation to anything in the present game.

His insight is unparalled IMHO. His delivery, not so much.

That said, Brad & Gary, when compared to any of the other crews on games I watched yesterday are orders of magnitude better. My wife even commented on one game that they sounded like local HS broadcast guys. So, I'll take them, but I ain't gonna stop yelling at them through the TV! :D
For the first time I listened to Eli Gold via internet radio and synced the tv to him...it was priceless...amazing difference. Of course, I am a Bama fan...but I have grown weary of Gary Daniels' ego...and obvious dislike of UA. The block by Jeudy was nowhere close to being a blindside block as was the A&M earlier.

I must be getting old...

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
For the first time I listened to Eli Gold via internet radio and synced the tv to him...it was priceless...amazing difference. Of course, I am a Bama fan...but I have grown weary of Gary Daniels' ego...and obvious dislike of UA. The block by Jeudy was nowhere close to being a blindside block as was the A&M earlier.

I must be getting old...
I’ve done this before and it is truly awesome. I think I’ll give it a try again next week. It’s a bit of a pain to get right but it’s great to hear Eli.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
We're not the only one Gary rankles. Check some of the other fan boards after he does their game. If I didn't know any better I'd have sworn I was reading one of ours.

I've listened to Gary in the past and his modus operandi is pretty much the same with all. However, being top dog means we get the attention during the season and all that goes with it. Part of Gary's job as "color man" in the game is to deliver informed analysis and to keep the attention of the audience. How he goes about that is what sticks in folks' craw. Someone else has brought this out in an earlier post and I think it's accurate. He's not changing and the only solution for me is to hit the mute button, which I do with most televised sports events anyway.

BTW, went over on Cockytalk website to see how SCAR fans were celebrating. Not surprisingly the fans have blown up the server and you can't get on it. :D

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I don't really have a problem with either of them and I did like how Gary took up for how Namath was compared to Tua.

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
This is such an easy problem to solve...DVR it and just watch the snap forward when they don’t talk. Rinse and repeat. I never noticed the announcers yesterday and I got some work done too [emoji1303]. Win win baby!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Gary kept ranting about that block which he kept saying was identical to the blind-side hit the Aggies did that got flagged. But the Bama hit was completely different:

- the Aggie hit was genuinely blind, it was an offensive pick where the hit came from out of line-of-sight, because the defender was facing the QB.
- in the Bama hit, the Bama player was in front of the Aggie, in plain sight, as the Aggie player moved and the Bama player moved to make it a sideways hit. You can't avoid a block just by turning sideways.

I don't like it when he picks up small things, often wrong, and tries to frame it as being the turning point of the game.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I like Gary when he sticks to football stuff but his constant fault-finding with Bama gets on my nerves. He seems to love to point out the calls the refs miss against Bama and shows only one or two missed calls against our foe.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The current Danielson/Nessler combination would be no higher than 3rd spot in the Disney/ESPN bullpen. Herbstreit/Fowler is the gold standard for college football booth crews. Blackledge/McDonough is great too. Sean McDonough was not a fit for MNF but I think the ESPN Primetime CFB crew is fantastic.

I don't watch hardly any of the NBC Notre Dame coverage but Mike Tirico was always top-tier on ESPN. These things tend to depend a lot on the likeability and insightfulness of the color guy and I couldn't tell you a thing about Doug Flutie as a commentator.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Why are you still listening to them. I have the TuneIn app on my phone. It lets me pause and pick back up as needed to sync Eli with the TV. The only time I’ve listened to them was yesterday as I was having to travel to a wedding while the game was on. (Facepalm)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.