Gary and Brad .....

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think they realize Bama is dominant in this era and they're doing everything they can to make it "interesting" for non-Bama fans who are watching. In doing so, Gary becomes insufferable and Nessler becomes his sidekick.

What I wish more than changing announcers is consistency in officiating. I made a comment in the game thread that I no longer understand the rules or how they are applied. Any attempt to understand what a "catch" is, what "targeting" is, what "blind side block" is, what "pass interference" is, what constitutes "reviewable call", what makes a play "overturnable", or what a "late hit" or "roughing the QB" is, is no longer meaningful.

The answer to all the above is: whatever the current crop of zebras on the field determines them to be at that moment in the game. This is true for every game I watched yesterday.
I agree with this sentiment exactly. It makes watching games more and more frustrating. They make it even worse now because they bring in their rules experts and have a mini-debate every single time there is a review and/or targeting call.
It is maddening. Then, I just try to imagine how frustrating it must be for defenders who make seemingly good plays only to get penalized for them.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
My BIGGEST knock on Gary is that he will beat a horse to death, then resurect it again to beat it to death again and a quarter later resurect the corpse that had previously been dead from the first beating only to beat it to death yet again.
Then, at least in Bama games, he will nitpick Bama on calls and never say a word about the oposition's receivers pushing off, oline tackling our dline, etc.
Commentators need to call it fair.
And to be fair, he does this when other teams are playing.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Why are you still listening to them. I have the TuneIn app on my phone. It lets me pause and pick back up as needed to sync Eli with the TV. The only time I’ve listened to them was yesterday as I was having to travel to a wedding while the game was on. (Facepalm)
Is it hard to sync the audio on the app with the TV? I would listen to Eli except the audio is always several seconds ahead of the TV.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I should stop expecting broadcast teams to be non-biased. Amazes me that so many people think that they do a great job. I am ok until their focus is clearly on how The other team can STILL win and what needs to happen. I used to like Nessler...but now I think he sucks as bad as Danielson.
Nessler opens his mouth and he's just wrong, both on the rules and on the call, once saying they had a 1st down when they were 4 yard short. Gary had to correct him. I guess he's just slipping...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think they realize Bama is dominant in this era and they're doing everything they can to make it "interesting" for non-Bama fans who are watching. In doing so, Gary becomes insufferable and Nessler becomes his sidekick.

What I wish more than changing announcers is consistency in officiating. I made a comment in the game thread that I no longer understand the rules or how they are applied. Any attempt to understand what a "catch" is, what "targeting" is, what "blind side block" is, what "pass interference" is, what constitutes "reviewable call", what makes a play "overturnable", or what a "late hit" or "roughing the QB" is, is no longer meaningful.

The answer to all the above is: whatever the current crop of zebras on the field determines them to be at that moment in the game. This is true for every game I watched yesterday.
The hand to helmet foul on Barmore was particularly bad. The rule reads "forcible." It was anything but forcible, as he was trying to interfere with the pass motion. All in all, it was the worst officiated game I've seen in a long time...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
We're not the only one Gary rankles. Check some of the other fan boards after he does their game. If I didn't know any better I'd have sworn I was reading one of ours.

I've listened to Gary in the past and his modus operandi is pretty much the same with all. However, being top dog means we get the attention during the season and all that goes with it. Part of Gary's job as "color man" in the game is to deliver informed analysis and to keep the attention of the audience. How he goes about that is what sticks in folks' craw. Someone else has brought this out in an earlier post and I think it's accurate. He's not changing and the only solution for me is to hit the mute button, which I do with most televised sports events anyway.

BTW, went over on Cockytalk website to see how SCAR fans were celebrating. Not surprisingly the fans have blown up the server and you can't get on it. :D
Other fanbases swear Gary is an Alabama fan.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Nessler opens his mouth and he's just wrong, both on the rules and on the call, once saying they had a 1st down when they were 4 yard short. Gary had to correct him. I guess he's just slipping...
When Nessler said, after the first A&M drive and touchdown, "Maybe we will be out of here in three hours". I thought how ridiculous it is for someone being paid several million per year to broadcast games and fly corporate jets to be concerned about the length of the game. I guess he must be bored and is reflecting CBS's commitment to sports in general. I for one would hope that CBS loses their renewal of the SEC contract. Question: Have you ever witnessed a pre-game show that matches the CBS pre-game in its absolute awfulness.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I swap between the Alabama Football channel and 106.9 out of Birmingham depending on if I’m watching over the air or off satellite.
You can pause the audio of Eli, wait a couple seconds and un-pause it. Repeat as necessary to sync it.

Is it hard to sync the audio on the app with the TV? I would listen to Eli except the audio is always several seconds ahead of the TV.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
BTW, went over on Cockytalk website to see how SCAR fans were celebrating. Not surprisingly the fans have blown up the server and you can't get on it. :D
Cockytalk has been down over a year after it was discovered that a bitcoin mining script was running on the site, utilizing visitors' machines...

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Cockytalk has been down over a year after it was discovered that a bitcoin mining script was running on the site, utilizing visitors' machines...
Yikes. Didn't know that, but that explains that. It's been a while since I tried looking at it, at least a year. Thanks for the info.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
They must be watching a different Gary.
No, people filter everything through their biases and insecurities. The LSU fans around me swear Danielson is a Bama "homer" and hates LSU. Every fanbase who hears Danielson call a game their team is playing in, think he's "rooting" for the other team. A lot of Bama fans on here think he hates Alabama. So, in reality, the guy must be pretty unbiased if every fan base thinks he hates their team.

I actually like how he calls a game. Yeah, he has a tendency to "get on something" and run it into the ground. But it's not so bad that it takes away from the expertise he brings to the table.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.