Question: Will the game vs LSU be "The game of century" 1sv2?

Keldeo

3rd Team
Sep 2, 2018
North Little Rock , AR
Its very likely both teams will be Unbeaten and LSU has a chance to go to 3 after today. They would need to jump Oklahoma which is a coin flip if they will do that or not and with Clemson's awful SOS I think there's a good chance LSU jumps them sooner rather then later..

Last edited:

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I think it will be and that this game will decide who wins the West, possibly who wins the SEC. I think both UGA and Florida are beatable in the SEC champ game. Unfortunately I think only 1 SEC team makes it to the playoffs. This is the year I wish there were 6 teams in the playoff ! :)

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
No. Clemson will not drop out of the top 2
It bothers me that Clemson and OU have it made with their schedule and will probably secure 2 spots in the playoff without playing anyone (or only one team ranked). It will be interesting to see what the playoff committee does on Nov 3.. isn't that the first rankings?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It bothers me that Clemson and OU have it made with their schedule and will probably secure 2 spots in the playoff without playing anyone (or only one team ranked). It will be interesting to see what the playoff committee does on Nov 3.. isn't that the first rankings?
What is it you think Clemson and OU have done wrong?

Clemson plays in the ACC - just like they did in 2014 when they didn't go undefeated and make the playoff. They have an annual out of conference game with South Carolina every year, and they scheduled against what was thought to be a decent ATM team. It's not Clemson's fault that the rest of the conference stinks.

Oklahoma plays in the Big 12 that was decimated by the departures of Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and ATM - and put WVA and TCU as replacements. Every team in the conference plays every other team, and they have a rematch of the two best teams for conference champion.
Out of conference, the Sooners play Houston (who beat OU just three years ago) and UCLA. It's no OU's fault that UCLA (with Chip Kelly mind you) is pretty awful.

The funny thing is that the same pundits who will decry OUR schedule talk about how great Ohio State looks - and they do. But seriously....their OOC this year is a bigger joke than ours. Now, I'm not going to get on their cases for this because it's becoming obvious what's going on - nobody wants to play the Big Guns until the playoff. Ohio St has the same scheduling problem that Alabama has. (And if you're OU or Ohio St, the lesson you learned in the recent H/H is "don't play good teams").

Among the top teams so far, LSU has the best resume - and they had no control over whether they played Florida or not.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Its very likely both teams will be Unbeaten and LSU has a chance to go to 3 after today. They would need to jump Oklahoma which is a coin flip if they will do that or not and with Clemson's awful SOS I think there's a good chance LSU jumps them sooner rather then later..
Btw - before I begin - I was assigned to LRAFB for four years, so I'm pretty familiar with N Little Rock (and loved Sherwood back in the day).

Although this will be the selling line....NO! An emphatic "no," this game is nothing at all like the 2011 game on multiple levels.

1) It is unlikely at this point the teams will be ranked 1 and 2.

I just don't really think that unless Clemson loses that they will drop, and Oklahoma will be rewarded for beating Texas so......it's unlikely.

2) We no longer have a two-team BCS national title game.

It was generally thought at the time of the 2011 game that it was probably a "winner take all" game with the loser on the outside looking in for the national championship. Although it didn't ultimately turn out that way, it was sheer luck that set up the rematch. If the Okie St Cowboys had not suddenly gotten depressed about the deaths of two basketball coaches that none of the players knew while leading 24-7 in Ames, Iowa, OK St would have played LSU that year.

3) By the time of the 2011 game, everyone was pretty well convinced LSU and Alabama were BY FAR the two best teams in the nation.

There were 5 unbeaten teams in the hunt plus Houston on November 5, 2011 - LSU, Alabama, Okie St, Stanford, and Boise St. The Smurfs were considered the longest of long shots, most folks thought OU would beat OK St, and most folks thought Oregon would blow out Stanford, which they did. The Pokes had already had two close calls, a one-point loss to ATM and K-State failing at the end of a 7-point Pokes win. So the perception ENTERING THE GAME was, "these are the two best teams in the country."

That is unlikely to happen by November 9 this year. It might, but a lot of folks are going to be touting Oklahoma and their new defense, and Clemson is still in the hunt so long as they're unbeaten.

4) At the time of the 2011 game, both teams had won recent national titles.

You rarely get this in the regular season anymore. In this case, you had 1 vs 2 and both teams had won a national title within the previous five years. Of course, that wasn't quite so rare once the SEC ran off that long streak, but it was the combination of the rankings, perception, and recent titles (plus my next point) that elevated the stature of the game.

5) The wounds of Nick Saban leaving LSU were still fresh in 2011 for the Tigers.

Those wounds were coming out in the form of "well, Saban actually put the team together that Miles won the national championship with, so...."
And then Saban waltzed into Red Stick and walked out an overtime winner, and the next year he won the national title.

The reality now is that Saban left LSU FIFTEEN YEARS AGO.....back when folks still thought Larry Coker was a good coach, Matt Leinart was a future NFL star, and Urban Meyer had yet to coach his first Power 5 conference game.

Concurrent with that were the fact that at the time Saban's successor (Les Miles) was still coaching the Tigers; he's not there now.

6) The SEC streak was only really starting to get ridiculous.

That long championship game appearances streak (2006-13) and wins (minus the Barn losing in 13) were only then in the process of happening.

Most fans understood 2010 Auburn was a case of a legendary superstar elevating an 8-5 team to great heights.
Most fans also understood that 2007 LSU's title was a musical chairs "luck of the draw" kind of thing.

The point, however, is there's not an SEC streak of playing in all the title games; there's just ONE TEAM from the SEC who keeps doing it (with the exception of UGA in 2017). The conference has come closer to the others in terms of perception (we might be perceived as the "best conference," but it's not more due to horrific mediocrity worse than our own elsewhere than the idea we have a bunch of great teams).

There are certainly some other sub-reasons, but the point is that those circumstances that made that hype inevitable no longer exist. The loser of this game is NOT going to be considered "automatically eliminated" in a three-point overtime loss.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Btw - before I begin - I was assigned to LRAFB for four years, so I'm pretty familiar with N Little Rock (and loved Sherwood back in the day).

Although this will be the selling line....NO! An emphatic "no," this game is nothing at all like the 2011 game on multiple levels.

1) It is unlikely at this point the teams will be ranked 1 and 2.

I just don't really think that unless Clemson loses that they will drop, and Oklahoma will be rewarded for beating Texas so......it's unlikely.

2) We no longer have a two-team BCS national title game.

It was generally thought at the time of the 2011 game that it was probably a "winner take all" game with the loser on the outside looking in for the national championship. Although it didn't ultimately turn out that way, it was sheer luck that set up the rematch. If the Okie St Cowboys had not suddenly gotten depressed about the deaths of two basketball coaches that none of the players knew while leading 24-7 in Ames, Iowa, OK St would have played LSU that year.

3) By the time of the 2011 game, everyone was pretty well convinced LSU and Alabama were BY FAR the two best teams in the nation.

There were 5 unbeaten teams in the hunt plus Houston on November 5, 2011 - LSU, Alabama, Okie St, Stanford, and Boise St. The Smurfs were considered the longest of long shots, most folks thought OU would beat OK St, and most folks thought Oregon would blow out Stanford, which they did. The Pokes had already had two close calls, a one-point loss to ATM and K-State failing at the end of a 7-point Pokes win. So the perception ENTERING THE GAME was, "these are the two best teams in the country."

That is unlikely to happen by November 9 this year. It might, but a lot of folks are going to be touting Oklahoma and their new defense, and Clemson is still in the hunt so long as they're unbeaten.

4) At the time of the 2011 game, both teams had won recent national titles.

You rarely get this in the regular season anymore. In this case, you had 1 vs 2 and both teams had won a national title within the previous five years. Of course, that wasn't quite so rare once the SEC ran off that long streak, but it was the combination of the rankings, perception, and recent titles (plus my next point) that elevated the stature of the game.

5) The wounds of Nick Saban leaving LSU were still fresh in 2011 for the Tigers.

Those wounds were coming out in the form of "well, Saban actually put the team together that Miles won the national championship with, so...."
And then Saban waltzed into Red Stick and walked out an overtime winner, and the next year he won the national title.

The reality now is that Saban left LSU FIFTEEN YEARS AGO.....back when folks still thought Larry Coker was a good coach, Matt Leinart was a future NFL star, and Urban Meyer had yet to coach his first Power 5 conference game.

Concurrent with that were the fact that at the time Saban's successor (Les Miles) was still coaching the Tigers; he's not there now.

6) The SEC streak was only really starting to get ridiculous.

That long championship game appearances streak (2006-13) and wins (minus the Barn losing in 13) were only then in the process of happening.

Most fans understood 2010 Auburn was a case of a legendary superstar elevating an 8-5 team to great heights.
Most fans also understood that 2007 LSU's title was a musical chairs "luck of the draw" kind of thing.

The point, however, is there's not an SEC streak of playing in all the title games; there's just ONE TEAM from the SEC who keeps doing it (with the exception of UGA in 2017). The conference has come closer to the others in terms of perception (we might be perceived as the "best conference," but it's not more due to horrific mediocrity worse than our own elsewhere than the idea we have a bunch of great teams).

There are certainly some other sub-reasons, but the point is that those circumstances that made that hype inevitable no longer exist. The loser of this game is NOT going to be considered "automatically eliminated" in a three-point overtime loss.
One thing all of y’all are forgetting is that the rankings will be reset by the CFP by the time Alabama and LSU plays. LSU has the two best wins in the country with Auburn waiting. Alabama will probably have the next two. So the CFP rankings will probably be this when they play if both teams win out until then.

1) UA/LSU
2) UA/LSU
3) Oklahoma
4) Clemson
5) Florida
6) Ohio St

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
What is it you think Clemson and OU have done wrong?

I don't think they have done anything wrong and never said they did. I just think they have an easy path this year compared to Bama and even LSU. They don't have to play tough games all season while the top teams in the SEC do.

I don't see Clemson or OU going undefeated if they were in the SEC. The SEC is going to "beat each other up" and only have 1 team in the playoffs even though some of the best teams in the nation are in the SEC. As I said before, it will be interesting to see how the Playoff Committee ranks the teams. I do think LSU has the best resume so far.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Clemson makes it, no problem, the ACC is terrible at no fault of Clemson. Their championship game opponent may not even be ranked either.

Oklahoma will likely make it, unless upset...probably play Texas again in their championship game.

Ohio State still has Wisconsin, that will be a College Gameday matchup. OSU should whip Michigan, but maybe Michigan puts it together that day. Then their championship game they should win if theyve made it that far.

Bama-LSU winner likely plays the Florida-Georgia-Missouri winner. Unless Auburn steps up and wins some games they shouldn't.

Clemson and Oklahoma can't control how mediocre their conferences now are. The SEC and Big 10 are the two strongest.

Right now it looks like the playoff will consist of Clemson for sure, Oklahoma very likely, Bama-LSU winner, and the Ohio State-Wisconsin winner.

Bama-LSU will be huge, if both are still undefeated, which is likely. I could see it being 50 something to 40 something, with whatever defense steps up more winning. Given how our D made some improvements vs A&M I think we are getting better. Barmore made a big impact in the middle. If we have anymore injuries though, I think depth is an insurmountable enemy at that point. As we saw when we had 3 defenders out for the end of that first quarter opening drive.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Clemson makes it, no problem, the ACC is terrible at no fault of Clemson. Their championship game opponent may not even be ranked either.

Oklahoma will likely make it, unless upset...probably play Texas again in their championship game.

Ohio State still has Wisconsin, that will be a College Gameday matchup. OSU should whip Michigan, but maybe Michigan puts it together that day. Then their championship game they should win if theyve made it that far.

Bama-LSU winner likely plays the Florida-Georgia-Missouri winner. Unless Auburn steps up and wins some games they shouldn't.

Clemson and Oklahoma can't control how mediocre their conferences now are. The SEC and Big 10 are the two strongest.

Right now it looks like the playoff will consist of Clemson for sure, Oklahoma very likely, Bama-LSU winner, and the Ohio State-Wisconsin winner.

Bama-LSU will be huge, if both are still undefeated, which is likely. I could see it being 50 something to 40 something, with whatever defense steps up more winning. Given how our D made some improvements vs A&M I think we are getting better. Barmore made a big impact in the middle. If we have anymore injuries though, I think depth is an insurmountable enemy at that point. As we saw when we had 3 defenders out for the end of that first quarter opening drive.
Two things to consider about the East.

1) Mizzou is awaiting ruling on their appeal so Mizzou isn’t guaranteed in Atlanta unless either the NCAA rules in favor or doesn’t rule before the last week of the season

2) If USCe wins vs Florida then they are in prime position to steal the East if Mizzou is ruled ineligible because UGA would lose a 3 way tie with Florida and USCE if that happens. And USCe has the big 3 behind them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't think they have done anything wrong and never said they did. I just think they have an easy path this year compared to Bama and even LSU. They don't have to play tough games all season while the top teams in the SEC do.
But it's not their fault.

I mean, our schedule this year OOC is nothing to boast about. One could literally make that argument about every single other team that's not in the SEC.

I don't see Clemson or OU going undefeated if they were in the SEC. The SEC is going to "beat each other up" and only have 1 team in the playoffs even though some of the best teams in the nation are in the SEC. As I said before, it will be interesting to see how the Playoff Committee ranks the teams. I do think LSU has the best resume so far.
I think the problem with that assessment is that the SEC has always argued that. A lot of folks were against the idea of creating the SEC championship game in the first place because "if you add that extra tough game, the SEC team will be eliminated from the national title picture."

What happened instead? Alabama and Tennessee went through the entire year unbeaten and won titles - and Florida played the toughest single schedule of any team in the 90s and won one. Three titles in seven years, although one might argue the 94 Bama team ran into that obstacle.

It didn't stop the SEC from winning seven titles in a row, and it hasn't stopped us from making the playoff.

I get the frustration, but there's literally no way to equalize the schedule somehow. If Clemson wins against 2 of the top 4 teams in the country in a two-week span, they'll deserve to be the national champions as will anyone else.

What's funny is that every single year this same objection comes up against the New England Patriots' divisional schedule. But if the Patriots weren't any good then you'd think someone would beat them in those tough playoff games.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
One thing all of y’all are forgetting is that the rankings will be reset by the CFP by the time Alabama and LSU plays. LSU has the two best wins in the country with Auburn waiting. Alabama will probably have the next two. So the CFP rankings will probably be this when they play if both teams win out until then.

1) UA/LSU
2) UA/LSU
3) Oklahoma
4) Clemson
5) Florida
6) Ohio St
Even if that's true -and given the shenanigans of the CFP, I wouldn't put it past them to create that matchup anyway - it doesn't change the rest of the post.

This is not going to be two weeks of fervent electricity and wall-to-wall Game of the Century coverage, not in the same way.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Two things to consider about the East.

1) Mizzou is awaiting ruling on their appeal so Mizzou isn’t guaranteed in Atlanta unless either the NCAA rules in favor or doesn’t rule before the last week of the season

2) If USCe wins vs Florida then they are in prime position to steal the East if Mizzou is ruled ineligible because UGA would lose a 3 way tie with Florida and USCE if that happens. And USCe has the big 3 behind them.
South Carolina got lucky Georgia's kicker missed 2 FGs....I'm not considering them because I think that win yesterday was a fluke. Fromm throwing 3 INTs, the missed FGs....I think Florida makes it. Now, if the loss galvanizes Georgia then obviously I think they turn it around and make it. Just my opinion, Mizzou may beat them all unless their ruling keeps them out.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
While I know his relative unpopularity here (and I'm by no means a fan), here's a portion of Clay Travis summarizing the 2011 LSU-Alabama game.

Read this and tell me you think something like this is going to happen a month from now:

Prior to the game even starting Alabama and LSU fans staged the most epic tailgate scene in college football history. I’ve been all over the country for football — attended some of the biggest games in the largest stadiums in the country — and I’ve never seen anything like this.

If a sports fan was in Tuscaloosa and lived above the Mason-Dixon line, he’d never go back North after today.

It was that amazing.

Everyone was here. Leonardio DiCaprio, Snoop Dogg, LeBron James, over 250 private jets, the most ever, rolled into Tuscaloosa’s tiny airport and lined up one after another. The top 1% occupied Tuscaloosa, in their jets and on the field.

Tuscaloosa police signed up for 20 hour shifts, the longest since the tornado. Expectations were that 400-500 fans would be arrested before the night ended.

Riding on a polaris at noon a police officer turned to me and said, “It’s noon and it’s already crazier than it’s ever been here.”

Everyone was in T-Town.

============================

It was a communication and sensory overload, one that made Tuscaloosa feel a bit like Mardi Gras in November or the South’s own Woodstock. Alcohol was consumed at levels without equal anywhere in the country, a massive party ensued on every square foot of Alabama’s campus, it was the perfect storm of Southern football — beautiful women, blue skies without a cloud to be found, fanatical football fans, and generations come to worship at the altar of Bryant-Denny stadium.

=============================

I'm sorry, but THIS isn't going to happen.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
South Carolina got lucky Georgia's kicker missed 2 FGs....I'm not considering them because I think that win yesterday was a fluke. Fromm throwing 3 INTs, the missed FGs....I think Florida makes it. Now, if the loss galvanizes Georgia then obviously I think they turn it around and make it. Just my opinion, Mizzou may beat them all unless their ruling keeps them out.
I don't think anyone questions that UGA would probably roll SCAR in a rematch - and for the reasons you cite.

That said.....Florida/UGA just became life/death.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Even if that's true -and given the shenanigans of the CFP, I wouldn't put it past them to create that matchup anyway - it doesn't change the rest of the post.

This is not going to be two weeks of fervent electricity and wall-to-wall Game of the Century coverage, not in the same way.
Yeah I figure most of the hype is going to come from LSU and the media’s annual “ this is the team that can knock off Bama for years to come” spin. I figure the Alabama side will stay quiet and talk about practice and injuries for 2 weeks like they did in 2015. I kinda figure Oeaux will prove once again that the game is too big for him and get down right conservative as usual. I think Bama beats LSU 55-38 or something like that. I think Florida was a bit overinflated and it was a matter of time before Mullen and his experienced qb was going to make a mistake and Oeaux knew it. Tua and the receivers are light years better than what LSU’s defense has faced, and Alabama’s defense is way more capable at slowing down LSU’s offense than what most here and outside of here believe.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
I'm sure the media will hype Bama v LSWho for all it's worth. In 2011 it was the two best defenses. This time maybe the two best offenses.

I will say this about the game, I am very concerned with Bama's defense not because of LSWho but pretty much everybody else we play as well.

Having said that, I'm not sold on LSWho yet. I didn't watch every snap but what I saw was a Florida team with an over-hyped defense and a poor offense go toe to toe with LSWho. You take away Florida's bad calls and execution in the red zone and it could have, actually should have been 42-42 at the end of regulation.

Last edited:

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Yeah I figure most of the hype is going to come from LSU and the media’s annual “ this is the team that can knock off Bama for years to come” spin. I figure the Alabama side will stay quiet and talk about practice and injuries for 2 weeks like they did in 2015. I kinda figure Oeaux will prove once again that the game is too big for him and get down right conservative as usual. I think Bama beats LSU 55-38 or something like that. I think Florida was a bit overinflated and it was a matter of time before Mullen and his experienced qb was going to make a mistake and Oeaux knew it. Tua and the receivers are light years better than what LSU’s defense has faced, and Alabama’s defense is way more capable at slowing down LSU’s offense than what most here and outside of here believe.
I dont see this Alabama D having a ton of success against a QB that is hitting on all cylinders right now. Used to be with our best Ds that it took a hot QB having a great game to beat us. We don't have that great D thing year and Burrow is on fire right now. I think holding them to mid or low 40s and our O not getting slowed down is the only way we win. I'd love for the D to step up and limit Burrow somehow, just dont see that happening with our freshman in the middle. LSU's OC will have 2 weeks to plan lots of confusion for those guys.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.