Question: Will the game vs LSU be "The game of century" 1sv2?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't think anyone questions that UGA would probably roll SCAR in a rematch - and for the reasons you cite.

That said.....Florida/UGA just became life/death.
I have a feeling Mizzou is going to throw a serious wrench in the whole damn thing. UGA can beat Florida, but they have Mizzou and @ Auburn the following weeks right after that. Florida has to travel to Mizzou, and if you've been up there, it can be a serious madhouse when top ranked teams go there.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I dont see this Alabama D having a ton of success against a QB that is hitting on all cylinders right now. Used to be with our best Ds that it took a hot QB having a great game to beat us. We don't have that great D thing year and Burrow is on fire right now. I think holding them to mid or low 40s and our O not getting slowed down is the only way we win. I'd love for the D to step up and limit Burrow somehow, just dont see that happening with our freshman in the middle. LSU's OC will have 2 weeks to plan lots of confusion for those guys.
We have a better defense than LSU, and a far better offense than Vandy, UF, and Texas. Im not a sunshine pumper at all, and Im saying this. My prediction is UA 55 LSU 38

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
We have a better defense than LSU, and a far better offense than Vandy, UF, and Texas. Im not a sunshine pumper at all, and Im saying this. My prediction is UA 55 LSU 38
I can see that score yes. My only concern is our youth and inexperience up the middle and Burrow being as hot as hes been. If we can get some pressure consistently then yes, we win. We got better pressure against the Aggies than we had been getting so I'm hopeful. Now, does Saban go back to Owens at C when hes healthy, because I enjoyed watching that OL yesterday. Can whomever playing center deal with that NG that was killing Floridas middle last night? Lots of questions, we have some time to improve more by then and I'm optimistic that we will.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Everyone here better brace themselves for the "analysis" (by which I mean "confirmation bias") that's going to work like this:

1) Alabama's defense is not what it usually is (true)
2) LSU's offense is much better than it usually is (true)

The problem, though, is the analysis will stop right there and start making conclusions.
And maybe they're right. But that's still bad analysis - because you also have to figure:

1) Alabama's offense has scored one TD less than LSU (despite the fact we've got more garbage time)
2) LSU's defense

We're surrendering 17 ppg, which would be good for most teams not named Alabama; they're surrendering 21.

You can then start looking at separate data points:
a) Auburn held Florida to fewer points than LSU did (Auburn's D is better than LSU)
b) Oklahoma held Texas to fewer points (3 full TDs) than LSU did
c) Vandy got 38 points on LSU......which is 2 more than they got in 3 games COMBINED against Ole Miss/UGA/Purdue*

* - I realize one argument is going to be that one of Vandy's TDs was after a blocked kick as well as "we put in our backups."
That fails to account for the fact that LSU's backups would be starters at most other SEC schools and substantially better than Vandy.

There are, I'm sure if I took the time, OTHER points that could guide us in a general predictive direction, not infallibly but generally.

Here are the facts:
1) Alabama's offense is equal to LSU's offense
2) Alabama's defense is better than LSU's defense
3) the game is in Tuscaloosa

Unless there is a reason otherwise, you go with the better defense. (It requires mico-analysis to further develop a conclusion).
Is our defense SUBSTANTIALLY better than LSU? Well we're giving up 4 ppg less while they're giving up 20 yards per game MORE.

The 4 ppg is far more substantial than 20 yards, which is 1/4 of one TD drive. Of course, it's more substantial after 12 games than after
only six, too, since one game can skew the data. Entering last night, Florida was scoring 32.3 ppg, and LSU held them to four points below that.

If LSU holds us to 4 points under our average of 51, we will score 47 points.

Anyone think LSU beats us if we do score 47 points? (Again - don't take this too much because it requires more than just simple looks at single games, you have to look at all of the main games and subtract cupcake games that skew the data, too).

I think - at this point - we win something like a 35-27 rumble.

Last edited:

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Everyone here better brace themselves for the "analysis" (by which I mean "confirmation bias") that's going to work like this:

1) Alabama's defense is not what it usually is (true)
2) LSU's offense is much better than it usually is (true)

The problem, though, is the analysis will stop right there and start making conclusions.
And maybe they're right. But that's still bad analysis - because you also have to figure:

1) Alabama's offense has scored one TD less than LSU (despite the fact we've got more garbage time)
2) LSU's defense

We're surrendering 17 ppg, which would be good for most teams not named Alabama; they're surrendering 21.

You can then start looking at separate data points:
a) Auburn held Florida to fewer points than LSU did (Auburn's D is better than LSU)
b) Oklahoma held Texas to fewer points (3 full TDs) than LSU did
c) Vandy got 38 points on LSU......which is 2 more than they got in 3 games COMBINED against Ole Miss/UGA/Purdue*

* - I realize one argument is going to be that one of Vandy's TDs was after a blocked kick as well as "we put in our backups."
That fails to account for the fact that LSU's backups would be starters at most other SEC schools and substantially better than Vandy.

There are, I'm sure if I took the time, OTHER points that could guide us in a general predictive direction, not infallibly but generally.

Here are the facts:
1) Alabama's offense is equal to LSU's offense
2) Alabama's defense is better than LSU's defense
3) the game is in Tuscaloosa

Unless there is a reason otherwise, you go with the better defense. (It requires mico-analysis to further develop a conclusion).
Is our defense SUBSTANTIALLY better than LSU? Well we're giving up 4 ppg less while they're giving up 20 yards per game MORE.

The 4 ppg is far more substantial than 20 yards, which is 1/4 of one TD drive. Of course, it's more substantial after 12 games than after
only six, too, since one game can skew the data. Entering last night, Florida was scoring 32.3 ppg, and LSU held them to four points below that.

If LSU holds us to 4 points under our average of 51, we will score 47 points.

Anyone think LSU beats us if we do score 47 points? (Again - don't take this too much because it requires more than just simple looks at single games, you have to look at all of the main games and subtract cupcake games that skew the data, too).

I think - at this point - we win something like a 35-27 rumble.
I hope you are right. I will take a win, even if by 1 point (but I will surely have anxiety during the game :)

Let's just hope Bama has NO MORE INJURIES by then. It has been a miracle Bama has had no serious injuries the past 2 games or during the bye week. If we have any more injuries on defense, especially at inside linebacker, it won't be easy.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I hope you are right. I will take a win, even if by 1 point (but I will surely have anxiety during the game :)

Let's just hope Bama has NO MORE INJURIES by then. It has been a miracle Bama has had no serious injuries the past 2 games or during the bye week. If we have any more injuries on defense, especially at inside linebacker, it won't be easy.
We'll have more data points by then, too.

Injuries....yikes....

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
While I know his relative unpopularity here (and I'm by no means a fan), here's a portion of Clay Travis summarizing the 2011 LSU-Alabama game.

Read this and tell me you think something like this is going to happen a month from now:

Prior to the game even starting Alabama and LSU fans staged the most epic tailgate scene in college football history. I’ve been all over the country for football — attended some of the biggest games in the largest stadiums in the country — and I’ve never seen anything like this.

If a sports fan was in Tuscaloosa and lived above the Mason-Dixon line, he’d never go back North after today.

It was that amazing.

Everyone was here. Leonardio DiCaprio, Snoop Dogg, LeBron James, over 250 private jets, the most ever, rolled into Tuscaloosa’s tiny airport and lined up one after another. The top 1% occupied Tuscaloosa, in their jets and on the field.

Tuscaloosa police signed up for 20 hour shifts, the longest since the tornado. Expectations were that 400-500 fans would be arrested before the night ended.

Riding on a polaris at noon a police officer turned to me and said, “It’s noon and it’s already crazier than it’s ever been here.”

Everyone was in T-Town.

============================

It was a communication and sensory overload, one that made Tuscaloosa feel a bit like Mardi Gras in November or the South’s own Woodstock. Alcohol was consumed at levels without equal anywhere in the country, a massive party ensued on every square foot of Alabama’s campus, it was the perfect storm of Southern football — beautiful women, blue skies without a cloud to be found, fanatical football fans, and generations come to worship at the altar of Bryant-Denny stadium.

=============================

I'm sorry, but THIS isn't going to happen.
The reason so many came to the 2011 game was hype. Pure hype. Driven by the media. Which is what they get paid to do. And they will do it again. Can the Tigahs knock off the Tide and bury the dynasty? Tua vs Joe. Coach O vs the hated Coach Saban. Can "DBU" shut down the Merchants of Flying Death?

Maybe this game ends up having the hype of 2011 or maybe it doesn't. But one thing is for sure, it won't be for a lack of trying.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
It will definitely be a clash of offensive titans. How the media bills it is yet to be seen. For me, it'll just be another Bama vs LSU game where I chew off my nails and wish I had a xanax.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
If we both win our games until then, I think it is very likely that it was be 1 vs. 2 again. Heck, we are already 1 and 2 in the AP poll today. I don't know if it will reach the hype that it was when we lost 9-6. I think that year it was much more evident that we were the top 2 teams in the country. No one else was close. It was the reason that we got a rematch and a chance for revenge.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I dont see this Alabama D having a ton of success against a QB that is hitting on all cylinders right now. Used to be with our best Ds that it took a hot QB having a great game to beat us. We don't have that great D thing year and Burrow is on fire right now. I think holding them to mid or low 40s and our O not getting slowed down is the only way we win. I'd love for the D to step up and limit Burrow somehow, just dont see that happening with our freshman in the middle. LSU's OC will have 2 weeks to plan lots of confusion for those guys.
Conversely, Bama's staff has two weeks as well to look at LSU and find chinks in their armor...…………..And I bet they study really hard

But, 12'see and Arkansas come first...…………...t. And there are quite a few UT fans who are looking at what SC did and think they are going to do the same Saturday.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.