Ohio State are they for real? (Chime in B1GTide)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
4 shutouts through 6 games is pretty hard to do.
True, but their competition has benefited them.

South Florida - decent
Central Michigan - trash
Michigan - mediocre offense, scored 14 on them
Northwestern - mediocre offense, scored 15 on them
Kent State - trash
Michigan State - garbage offense. Ohio State held them to 10.

So yes, 4 shutouts in 6 games is impressive no matter what, but I also think it is a bit inflated in their case. They have not been playing athletic spread-style offenses.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

South Florida - decent
Central Michigan - trash
Kent State - trash

So yes, 4 shutouts in 6 games is impressive no matter what, but I also think it is a bit inflated in their case. They have not been playing athletic spread-style offenses.
Michigan vs Wisconsin was 28-0 at halftime and 35-8 going into the 4th. Never a game.

Wisconsin May have the best running back in football as well.

I think Ohio st is more talented, but Wisconsin is better than what folks think. Going into Camp Randall at night is one of the craziest atmospheres in football.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Michigan vs Wisconsin was 28-0 at halftime and 35-8 going into the 4th. Never a game.

Wisconsin May have the best running back in football as well.

I think Ohio st is more talented, but Wisconsin is better than what folks think. Going into Camp Randall at night is one of the craziest atmospheres in football.
Oh I didn't mean to imply Michigan had challenged Wisconsin. I was only saying Michigan's offense has proven to be mediocre over the course of the season. Only Northwestern challenged Wisconsin, but I chalk that up to the game being a rivalry game as well as Wisconsin probably having an off day.

I do think the Wisconsin/Ohio State game will be a doozy. I was just saying Wisconsin's statistics were getting a bit of a boost from playing some pretty mediocre offenses. All things being equal, they are still a force.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
It's so lame that Fields is even able to play. He should have had to sit out a year. If he gets a waiver, so should everyone (and I actually think that's the way to go).

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

South Florida - decent
Central Michigan - trash
Kent State - trash

I think their defense is pretty good. I don't think we would have shut out those 4 teams.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
We have the most complete team that we have had since 2014, but zero depth. I have no idea what we will look like if challenged for an entire game.
It's funny to hear OSU talking about a lack of depth. So, behind the 5* starters, would be the 5* non-starters, right? :D

I see your point, it's just amazing how the blue bloods at the top right now have so much talent stacked up. QB might be an issue, but as long as Fields is healthy, everything is on point to the CFP. I do believe that either Wisconsin or Penn State will put up a fight. And Michigan is to OSU what Auburn is to Alabama: a good team with a major chip on their shoulder, but likely, will get beat down.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Oh I didn't mean to imply Michigan had challenged Wisconsin. I was only saying Michigan's offense has proven to be mediocre over the course of the season. Only Northwestern challenged Wisconsin, but I chalk that up to the game being a rivalry game as well as Wisconsin probably having an off day.

I do think the Wisconsin/Ohio State game will be a doozy. I was just saying Wisconsin's statistics were getting a bit of a boost from playing some pretty mediocre offenses. All things being equal, they are still a force.
I think you are onto something. Wisconsin is playing that old school, ball control, ground control offense right now. It COULD be trouble for a team that can't score enough to keep the Badgers at bay, but Wisconsin is also not a team that can afford to play from behind. They have to control from opening whistle to when they get the score out of reach. That won't be something they can do easily against OSU.

Like the SEC, the Big10 is about to work itself out. One team will emerge as the CFP candidate, and one other will be hanging around, waiting for someone else to stumble. I'll take OSU as the CFP representative, and Wisconsin as the 1 loss team that is just left out.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think their defense is pretty good. I don't think we would have shut out those 4 teams.
I don't think our defense is as good as theirs, so I agree.

But I'll say this. Their defense isn't holding our offense under 35 points. The game against Ohio State will definitely be one of the most interesting of the year.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It's so lame that Fields is even able to play. He should have had to sit out a year. If he gets a waiver, so should everyone (and I actually think that's the way to go).
I am glad you brought this up. This is how all of this could work, in theory. Let's say none of the D-1 schools recruit a QB, focus on every other position in recruitment. Of course a team would have a few QBs on hand, but wait until the end of this season and sign a transfer rather than trying to out recruit a competitor team in December. If for instance, the Florida backup Emory Jones, does no longer want to play behind Trask, let him transfer to Alabama in January. Tua is gone we need an experienced QB and he would likely unseat Mack Jones, who would then transfer.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
but he feared for his life at uga because of a racist baseball player now not enough to get his sister to transfer too but still.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Speaking of looking disinterested...how about Urban in the studio?
He has done a good job in his analysis, but I agree that his body language is that of disinterest. He looks like he wants to be somewhere else.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
He has done a good job in his analysis, but I agree that his body language is that of disinterest. He looks like he wants to be somewhere else.
He does a very good job but looks like he wants to slap some of the other people on the set.

He wants to coach...but I’m afraid he’s going to have a stroke if he goes back.

Gotta be hard because he’s about as good as anyone ever.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I am really looking forward to the Buckeyes vs Badgers game. It will tell a great deal not only about those two teams but also of the B1G in general. Tell you what...if they meet each other twice, they split them and are both are close games then we may just have our first argument for two teams from that league in the playoff. I don't see either one being challenged in the regular season. Could be wrong though.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
I think Tosu is a pretty complete team, but have they played anyone yet? No! Wait until they play Wisconsin and Penn St., that's when the rubber meets the road.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, Wisky just lost to Illinois! Guess the game with OSU won’t be as big as we thought.
Sure it will given its impact on the CFP. If Wisconsin wins the SEC has a great shot at getting 2 teams into the CFP.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Just curious about B1GTide’s thoughts about the upcoming game with Wisconsin. I figure Wisky did some early prep for OSU and it cost ‘em (loss to Illinois).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.