Reckon CBS wishes they would have chosen UA-LSU for primetime?

melvinm

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 2013
CBS chose GA - ND instead of AL and LSU this year.

Strong overnight for ND-UGA on CBS

It trailed last year’s primetime SEC game on CBS (BAMA and LSU), but Notre Dame-Georgia still delivered in the overnight ratings.

Found the article here.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
CBS chose GA - ND instead of AL and LSU this year.

Strong overnight for ND-UGA on CBS

It trailed last year’s primetime SEC game on CBS (BAMA and LSU), but Notre Dame-Georgia still delivered in the overnight ratings.

Found the article here.

They also chose the weekend after Alabama-LSU as their second prime time

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
You never know. The last time they worked out a special deal to play the game on prime-time at night. May not happen this year but they are going to really want this one.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I’ve heard talk that a deal has been made with ESPN to allow them the UF/LSU in order to get the UA/LSU at night. Why would CBS turn down the UF/LSU game with the top 10 matchup for Bama/aTm game?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I’ve heard talk that a deal has been made with ESPN to allow them the UF/LSU in order to get the UA/LSU at night. Why would CBS turn down the UF/LSU game with the top 10 matchup for Bama/aTm game?
1. Birmingham is the largest TV audience for CFB, and is a slightly larger TV market than New Orleans.
2. Alabama is #1
3. Texags adds the Texas market
4. CBS can only televise one school 5 times, and Bama is a huge draw so they will maximize that exposure. LSU AND the barn are the only other games attractive enough to televise.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Unless CBS can strike some kind of special deal, they will
miss out on the biggest game.
Ya can't get a lot bigger than 1 vs 2.
LSU really want's that Night Game, so do lots of fans.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Last edited:

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I'm afraid this one will be during the day, and I kind of like that. LSU will be playing in its 3rd straight 2:30p game.

I'm not educated on how the ratings system works. The article notes the 2011 game averaged 20 million viewers. Do they check at different times?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
@bamaga , Can you cite a source for this? What criteria makes it the "largest TV audience for CFB"?
The Birmingham TV market, whatever that includes (Gadsden, Tuscaloosa, Anniston?), is always the #1 TV market for College Football. There are more viewers in our market than any other, including LA, NYC, Houston, Dallas, Miami, you name it. A lot of it is because college football is so important here, and most of the other truly large markets belong to the NFL.

When you look at that article TiderJack cited, it's no mystery which are the top markets and why.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.