Saban suspends Devonta Smith for the first half vs. Tennessee

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
I think he just reacted without realizing it. Kids do not want to take crap off anybody, and who does? I get it, but I think Coach is right. Not that my opinion matters one squat...

We will pulverize Tennessee---of that I am certain.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My opinion doesn't matter either, but I don't agree with the move. Seeing the entire episode play out, I think Smith reacted badly to being assaulted himself.

I'd be interested to know if Jimbobo suspends his guy as well.

I know this won't make a difference in the grand scheme, and CNS may have other reasons for the suspension. A bigger picture move, if you will. I just do not feel it's warranted. JMO.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My opinion doesn't matter either, but I don't agree with the move. Seeing the entire episode play out, I think Smith reacted badly to being assaulted himself.

I'd be interested to know if Jimbobo suspends his guy as well.

I know this won't make a difference in the grand scheme, and CNS may have other reasons for the suspension. A bigger picture move, if you will. I just do not feel it's warranted. JMO.
i imagine that coach saban is fully aware that the other dude started this. i imagine the suspension is to tell devonta and the rest of the team, i don't care what they did to you, control yourself.

i imagine jimbo will do absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
i imagine that coach saban is fully aware that the other dude started this. i imaging the suspension is to tell devonta and the rest of the team, i don't care what they did to you, control yourself.

I dont agree with Saban dwelling so much on it in press conf but I think he wants to convey a sterner message to team

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
i imagine that coach saban is fully aware that the other dude started this. i imaging the suspension is to tell devonta and the rest of the team, i don't care what they did to you, control yourself.

I think you are correct about both Saban and Jimbo, and that is another reason why Saban is light years ahead of Jimbo. Jimbo had his 15 minutes of fame with Crablegs Winston, but that does not make him a great coach, in my opinion.
This is one of those situations where I don't blame DS for what he did, but he also needs to understand there are consequences for actions. It is a concept that is becoming lost in our society.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It's the right move but I hope it doesn't affect Bama's ability to grind ut into dust...

Saban suspends Devonta Smith for the first half vs. Tennessee
I agree with the decision... BUT...
In his place I would have reacted much more violently.
Smith was thrown down AFTER THE PLAY.
When Smith got to his feet the Aggie struck him in the face.
THEN... Smith reacted by throwing an ineffective Hay Maker.

Refs like Refs everywhere only saw the retaliation.
Both players should have been flagged for fighting.
This is a play that needed review by the Refs.
If they saw fit to send one to the locker room, the other should have been kicked out also.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The thing I find odd about the refs "only seeing the retaliation" was they freaking saw the body slam to the ground, but somehow missed the A&M player throwing a punch first.

I agree with the punishment. Actions have consequences.

Oh and Jimbo will do nothing.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
The thing I find odd about the refs "only seeing the retaliation" was they freaking saw the body slam to the ground, but somehow missed the A&M player throwing a punch first.

I agree with the punishment. Actions have consequences.

Oh and Jimbo will do nothing.
seems like that would be a good reason to use replay...if they can change an ejectable hit to a no foul why can't they at least review it and give both players a personal foul?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is a teaching moment. Nothing more. Didn't impact the game against TAMU and won't against UT, but a similar emotional reaction against LSU or Auburn could be a bigger problem. I trust CNS's judgment on this.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
CNS did the right thing. Just because the other guy started it doesn't mean it's OK to hit back.
But we're still good at receiver for the first half vs the Viles.
Jeudy
Ruggs
Waddle
Metchie
Bolden
Shavers

Smith will come in fresh in the 2nd half and run circles around the Vile's defenders, before scampering a straight line to the end zone.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
The talk from Gary right after Devonta was ejected was that this incident would be reviewed by the SEC office to see if any kind of suspension would happen. Coach Saban took it upon himself to handle it and announced the first half suspension. Now we all saw the entire incident, but Devonta was the only one ejected. Does anyone think the SEC office will review this and also suspend the A&M player for throwing a punch. Personally, I don't think this SEC office has the cajones to do that.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The talk from Gary right after Devonta was ejected was that this incident would be reviewed by the SEC office to see if any kind of suspension would happen. Coach Saban took it upon himself to handle it and announced the first half suspension. Now we all saw the entire incident, but Devonta was the only one ejected. Does anyone think the SEC office will review this and also suspend the A&M player for throwing a punch. Personally, I don't think this SEC office has the cajones to do that.
Nope, they are cowards and will do nothing.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.