Jeremy Pruitt Suggests Tennessee May Not Punt And Will Only Onside Kick Against Bama

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Thanks for the "heads up" CJP. Not smart!

I could see them trying to "steal" a possession with an early onside kick, but I think announcing it kinda takes away the surprise!

And they are probably going to be in 4th and long so much not punting is like too smart either. Jess may have to add about 21 points to his margin of victory prediction if this really is their plan.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Re: Jeremy Pruitt Suggests Tennessee May Not Punt And Will Only Onside Kick Against A

Yeah, I saw some chatter about this yesterday. Obviously, they will punt, and be glad to do it, if they are backed up deep in their own territory. Like inside their own 30. However, should they cross the timeline, I fully expect 4 down territory every time. No reason to punt.

Question is: Bama isn't winning the field position game against ANYONE this year, with regard to our own punting. Maybe we should scrap it too? Seems like more risk to actually have our punter come out, and certainly once the Tide gets on your side of the field, forget it. If anyone could launch a backwards punt, it would be the Tide, this year.

My other thought is if we have a close game, might need to re-think the whole idea of special teams. Not this game, and not Arkansas, but against LSU. And get ready. Malzahn is already trying to figure out how he can exploit our biggest weakness.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Re: Jeremy Pruitt Suggests Tennessee May Not Punt And Will Only Onside Kick Against A

Yeah, I saw some chatter about this yesterday. Obviously, they will punt, and be glad to do it, if they are backed up deep in their own territory. Like inside their own 30. However, should they cross the timeline, I fully expect 4 down territory every time. No reason to punt.

Question is: Bama isn't winning the field position game against ANYONE this year, with regard to our own punting. Maybe we should scrap it too? Seems like more risk to actually have our punter come out, and certainly once the Tide gets on your side of the field, forget it. If anyone could launch a backwards punt, it would be the Tide, this year.

My other thought is if we have a close game, might need to re-think the whole idea of special teams. Not this game, and not Arkansas, but against LSU. And get ready. Malzahn is already trying to figure out how he can exploit our biggest weakness.
I wonder if one of the other punters doesn't get a shot this weekend

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al

Maybe they are trying to scare us into forfieting.

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA

I think a better strategy for them would be to punt on 1st down. That would save wear and tear on their quarterbacks.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.