What are the dumbest rivalries in both the P5 and SEC?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
In the SEC, TAMU vs LSU is growing into a solid West Division rivalry.
I guess Mizzou vs Arkansas is an okay rivalry since the states do border. Would have preferred USCe stayed with Arkansas as its cross divisional rival since they joined the SEC at the same time. Also TAMU should have retained Mizzou as its cross divisional rival since they both joined from the Big12 and had a history.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Since the TSIO is often listed amongst certain rival fans as being just an automatic win in a dumb rivalry, I thought we might give our opinions.

SEC: LSU vs Arkansas- I had aTm vs USCE up here but I decided against it mostly due to the fact that this game is mostly based around the SEC pushing for a rivalry game to have a trophy to start a trend that resembled the Big 10. LSU and Arkansas have no chemistry whatsoever and very rarely fight for valuable recruits. This “rivalry” is mostly LSU beat downs and the once in 6 years Arkansas miracle. I think both think of this game as another game that just happens to have a ridiculously heavy trophy.

Granted aTm-USCE has a trophy, but they were more or less forced to be cross division rivals. LSU-Arkansas had the ability to just say they were “ division foes”.

P5- Wisconsin vs Nebraska- this rivalry really stems from envy and stupidity. They have played less than 15 times. This also is a rivalry that exists for 3 reasons:

1) Nebraska fans just don’t want to treat Iowa as their main rival

2) Nebraska fans were upset that Brett pantsed them twice in their first two years in front of national television

3) Barry Alvarez wants more trophy games

Ask a Nebraska fan “who is their biggest rival in the Big 10”, and they would say Wisconsin. Ask your typical badger fan where Nebraska ranks in terms of rival teams and they most likely say 4th or 5th.

Both examples have the push for more trophy games aspect of football and completely engineered to be bigger games than they actually are without having years of fierce competition, bad blood, and chemistry between the two naturally occurring before the rivalry status was warranted.
The Little Brown Jug - I mean, Michigan has won 75 of 103 games (with 3 ties). That's not a rivalry. Wanna know how "big" it is? In 1991, the game was scheduled at the Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome - and got rescheduled to be played on Friday night so as not to interfere with Game Six of the Twins-Braves World Series. And back then a Friday night game was about as rare as a politician who told the truth.

Yankees vs Red Sox - okay, you might be able to say this became a rivalry in 2004. But it wasn't a rivalry before then. A rivalry means that the "lesser" of the two names wins quite a bit. Wanna know how many times the Red Sox beat the Yankees in a pennant race (e.g. BOTH teams were actually good) after the Curse of the Bambino?

The Red Sox didn't make a single WS appearance between 1947 and 1966 - during which the Yankees made 15 and only once (1950) were the Red Sox less than 12 games behind at the end.

HEAD TO HEAD PENNANT RACES/PLAYOFFS
1949 - Yankees beat out Red Sox for pennant on last day of season
1977 - On Aug 10, Boston leads Yanks by five games - and finish in second 2.5 out
1978 - the infamous blown 14-game lead from late July
1988 - 9 behind on July 10, the Red Sox hire Joe Morgan and win the pennant on the last day, Yankees 3 out
1999 - Red Sox lose LCS in five games
2003 - leading 4-2 in the 8th....the Red Sox blow game 7 of the LCS

From 1918 to 2003 (85 years).....the Red Sox only got the best of the Yankees when both were real good ONE SINGLE TIME (1988).

That's not a rivalry, it's Alabama vs Vandy. Yeah, they knocked out the Yankees in 2004 and 2018, but that's all recent.

Tennessee-Kentucky - I mean, who cares? Vols lead 80-25-9, and almost always if UK wins it's because the Vols are horrible.

Alabama-MSU - I mean....really. Anyone looked at the numbers? 81-18-3, Tide went 37-1 from 1958-1995.

LSU-Tulane - The Green Wave actually owned LSU prior to the start of the SEC; they've lost 18 straight and they don't play every single year anymore, either.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I guess Mizzou vs Arkansas is an okay rivalry since the states do border. Would have preferred USCe stayed with Arkansas as its cross divisional rival since they joined the SEC at the same time. Also TAMU should have retained Mizzou as its cross divisional rival since they both joined from the Big12 and had a history.
They wanted to manufacture the thing with Missouri and Arkansas, which is just ridiculous.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well LSU and A&M have a fairly long history prior to to 2000 let along being division opponents. They had played each other 49 times. Also with the fact that they border each other (361 miles apart compared to 348 from LSU to Bama), I’d call that a legit rivalry. Can’t say the same for A&M and Missouri.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I lived in NE for a few years and the people I consider friends tell me to a person that Oklahoma is still their rival. Their hatred of Texas borderline on Bama fans hatred of Tennessee. This friends of mine consider Wisconsin more of a rivalry of the moment more so than a legit long term rival.

With that said, any time I see Wisconsin and NE play, I see inter squad game. Their color schemes are so similar that's you have to look closely to see which team is which.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I lived in NE for a few years and the people I consider friends tell me to a person that Oklahoma is still their rival. Their hatred of Texas borderline on Bama fans hatred of Tennessee. This friends of mine consider Wisconsin more of a rivalry of the moment more so than a legit long term rival.
Most of that is because Nebraska is too proud to admit that Iowa is their new big rival. I lived in Nebraska when the transition began, and before it began their fans gave Iowa fans so much crap about not being in a real conference, and if they were in their conference that they would begin a thousand year reign of terror because Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota never have played a real team.

Then when the transition was made, Nebraska still tried to downplay the significance of playing Iowa, and tried to establish a rivalry with Wisconsin and Michigan right away, which neither stuck. But losing OU, CO, and MO really hurt Nebraska, and they have to accept that Iowa is now their chief rivals.

With that said, any time I see Wisconsin and NE play, I see inter squad game. Their color schemes are so similar that's you have to look closely to see which team is which.

Well I much prefer the squad game than the "hurt my eyes game" (AKA Wisconsin vs Nebraska 2012)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.