My Maytag washing machine is rusting

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
My old Estate by Whirlpool direct drive top loader started having agitator issues about a month or so ago. Every other operational aspect was working perfectly. So I replaced the dogs with no improvement and then yesterday I actually pulled everything from underneath and replaced the clutch and some other minor parts and that didn't help either. The old parts were still in good condition so I was thinking this wouldn't help and I was right. I came to the conclusion it must be one of the gears inside the transmission.

In the process of all this I got tired of spending too much time on repairs so found a local place that sells used appliances. He's keeping his store closed except for appointments right now and has ads in the local CL, which is how I found him.

He met me this morning at his store - just he and I. We chatted a bit about repair stuff and general washer mechanics and he agreed it was probably my transmission. He had a back room with spare used parts but was reluctant to sell me one his transmissions because he wanted to save them for his repairs, which I understood. I will probably snag one off eBay.

But in the meantime I got a pretty good deal ($200 cash) on this Kenmore direct drive top-loader with the see through lid. I told him it looked like something designed by NASA.....lol.

It went through the first load and worked perfect. A little quieter than my old one. It also has the double rinse option, which is nice.

View attachment 7323View attachment 7324View attachment 7325
An old friend of mine was Manager of Washer Engineering at Whirlpool and would have been one of the principal designers of the Whirlpool washer. I have had a good overview of the product and always admired the level of engineering. He finished his career teaching at Kent State.
https://www.kent.edu/cae/donald-coates

Reactions: Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Good Deal Bazz. There's a place in Huntsville called Rocket City Appliance (Used to be called Pappys) that sells used appliances. He's got some washers and dryers and stoves that look brand new at a good price. Come with a 60 day guarantee.

I always like to use the braided stainless supply hoses.

BTW, the bed of your truck is too clean. :)
Well, I did leave a small leaf rake in it but you can't see it in the pic. :) That bed liner BTW is the one that came with the truck when I bought it used in '05. It does have a tear in the center so I need to remove it and try to fix - or replace it. It's on the to-do list.

My washer also came with a 60 day warranty so must be common practice in the used appliance biz.

Good idea about the supply lines. I was thinking about that when I transferred my old ones over. They looked OK but of course with constant water pressure (just like the supply line on a toilet) better to be safe with a little PM than sorry.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
An old friend of mine was Manager of Washer Engineering at Whirlpool and would have been one of the principal designers of the Whirlpool washer. I have had a good overview of the product and always admired the level of engineering. He finished his career teaching at Kent State.
https://www.kent.edu/cae/donald-coates
Thanks - your friend's credentials are quite impressive to say the least! (y)

I'm impressed that most of the replacement parts for these machines have stayed the same for so many years. My old one got quite a workout over the past 10 years of ownership - and I bought it used - just like this one.

I do plan on replacing the transmission on my old one because it's too good of condition to dispose of. Wouldn't seem right. You can tell your friend if you want - that I'm trying to save one of his children. ;)

Reactions: seebell

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
and my dryer just broke because of course it did.

Push the button and it hums and does turn but let go of the button and it stops humming.
Belt maybe?
It is very easy to check the belt by removing the front panel held by two screws at the bottom and clips at the top. Make sure to disconnect the dryer before removing the front as there is 120V current inside. The belt is replaced from the front. The door switch should be checked first I believe to insure it isn't defective. In cases where I have broken a belt, which is probably the number one failure on dryers, I have ultimately needed to replace the cylinder glides and motor pulley in order to have a cylinder that spins properly without breaking belts. Next steps in trouble shooting I believe would be the timer and motor. Not an expert by any means but have worked on a couple.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Thanks - your friend's credentials are quite impressive to say the least! (y)

I'm impressed that most of the replacement parts for these machines have stayed the same for so many years. My old one got quite a workout over the past 10 years of ownership - and I bought it used - just like this one.

I do plan on replacing the transmission on my old one because it's too good of condition to dispose of. Wouldn't seem right. You can tell your friend if you want - that I'm trying to save one of his children. ;)
A quick note on repair of these types of appliances. Due to their complexity washers obviously have the greatest failure rate in and out of warranty. The factory bears the cost of warranty repair and commercial operators are hyper concerned with machine up time and repair time, there is a great amount of effort put into Mean Time to Failure MTTF and Mean Time to Repair MTTR along with Warranty failure rates. It isn't an accident that parts can be readily replaced. Of course repair parts are the factory's highest margin items.:)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
A quick note on repair of these types of appliances. Due to their complexity washers obviously have the greatest failure rate in and out of warranty. The factory bears the cost of warranty repair and commercial operators are hyper concerned with machine up time and repair time, there is a great amount of effort put into Mean Time to Failure MTTF and Mean Time to Repair MTTR along with Warranty failure rates. It isn't an accident that parts can be readily replaced. Of course repair parts are the factory's highest margin items.:)
That all makes sense.

When the subject of parts came up, the appliance guy I was talking to said the stuff on eBay and Amazon are mostly Chinese and not as good as what the appliance places usually sell. These are the companies who do most of the YT vids, I guess.

I was curious about my glass top model so did some "Googling" and found there were some other glass top models made later on that had more area of glass, versus the little panel mine has. Some chatter about the glass shattering and subsequent warranty and repair-related issues.

I don't know about getting a whole replacement lid or just the glass piece for mine, but I have duct tape and/or various construction materials and enough knowledge of fasteners that I would have options...lol...

Gotta tell ya - I really missed having a working washer. Been catching up on stuff last night and today and it's freaking amazing how much dirt comes out when that agitator is doing it's job!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, I did leave a small leaf rake in it but you can't see it in the pic. :) That bed liner BTW is the one that came with the truck when I bought it used in '05. It does have a tear in the center so I need to remove it and try to fix - or replace it. It's on the to-do list.

My washer also came with a 60 day warranty so must be common practice in the used appliance biz.

Good idea about the supply lines. I was thinking about that when I transferred my old ones over. They looked OK but of course with constant water pressure (just like the supply line on a toilet) better to be safe with a little PM than sorry.
I like them. In fact, when I put in my last water heater, I used the large, 7/8" braided lines, rather than copper or PVC...

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell and Bazza

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
and my dryer just broke because of course it did.

Push the button and it hums and does turn but let go of the button and it stops humming.
Belt maybe?
The drum does turn? When you let go of the button it stops humming but does it stop turning?
The door switch is probably ok.

This is a good outfit to deal with.

• Thank You

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The drum does turn? When you let go of the button it stops humming but does it stop turning?

After some screwing around I got it to work again. I don't know how long that will last but I least got my towels done.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thanks - looking at them now.

I don't see any that are 7/8".

Just 3/4".

The discharge hose is 7/8" though.
I may be thinking of the threads. At any rate, whatever you can get which fits. The ones on the water heater are far bigger than the ones on the washer. I've also had to work so much on our dishwashers, I have them connected to the water supply with a very long braided hose, so I can pull them out and flip them over without having to disconnect the water supply...

• Thank You

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

They are indeed. 12 month return on any part, including electrical...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I may be thinking of the threads. At any rate, whatever you can get which fits. The ones on the water heater are far bigger than the ones on the washer. I've also had to work so much on our dishwashers, I have them connected to the water supply with a very long braided hose, so I can pull them out and flip them over without having to disconnect the water supply...
This is the way to go. I used to hook up dishwashers with a copper tubing supply line. Not very flexible and it was really hard to align the connection while lying on my large belly. Now I use a long braided supply line and can hook it up with the dishwasher laying on its back. So much easier. Same with the electrical.

Great minds think alike! :)

Reactions: Bazza and TIDE-HSV

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thanks - looking at them now.

I don't see any that are 7/8".

Just 3/4".

The discharge hose is 7/8" though.
I misled. I forgot what appliance you were looking for supply lines for. The braided lines for the washer and the water heater are not the same. The lines for the water heater are 3/4", 1" OD. They're too big for a washer and not nearly long enough. Mine are are 18" and you need about 4' for a washer supply line...

• Thank You

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I misled. I forgot what appliance you were looking for supply lines for. The braided lines for the washer and the water heater are not the same. The lines for the water heater are 3/4", 1" OD. They're too big for a washer and not nearly long enough. Mine are are 18" and you need about 4' for a washer supply line...
No worries - just wanted to double check and make sure I wasn't missing out on some "jumbo package" that might get the washing done faster. ;)

I have the same braided lines on my water heater and under my kitchen sink so will get some for the washer too. My hose bibs are just above the washer (about 4' up on the wall) so no issue with length so 4' units will probably work just fine. I'll get the ones with 90 degree angles on one end.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.