My Maytag washing machine is rusting

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
What is the advantage of a front-loader washer over a top-loader anyway?
Front loaders utilize much less water and are much more gentle on clothing than the conventional agitation by top loader/vertical axis machines. Vertical axis/top loaders do have water level settings but that does not achieve nearly the same amount of water/energy efficiency as horizontal axis machines. The major technology challenge for any washer is handling of out of balance loads. The Whirlpool/Kenmore top loader is an outstanding performer in that area due to the design development that went into the product. Horizontal axis machines are extremely poor at handling out of balance loads and utilize very expensive technology to deal with it, thus the price difference. Our Samsung has all of the technology on board and still jumps around the laundry room when an attempt is made to wash a simple small load. BTW we worked with MIT to understand how to deal with the forces involved in spinning a load of laundry. It is a serious technological challenge.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Front loaders utilize much less water and are much more gentle on clothing than the conventional agitation by top loader/vertical axis machines. Vertical axis/top loaders do have water level settings but that does not achieve nearly the same amount of water/energy efficiency as horizontal axis machines. The major technology challenge for any washer is handling of out of balance loads. The Whirlpool/Kenmore top loader is an outstanding performer in that area due to the design development that went into the product. Horizontal axis machines are extremely poor at handling out of balance loads and utilize very expensive technology to deal with it, thus the price difference. Our Samsung has all of the technology on board and still jumps around the laundry room when an attempt is made to wash a simple small load. BTW we worked with MIT to understand how to deal with the forces involved in spinning a load of laundry. It is a serious technological challenge.
Wow - impressive reply with detailed info - thank you.

FWIW, my top-loader does some dancing too once in a while - always due to a large terry cloth towel that "somehow" didn't understand the value of diversity (oops....little political slip - sorry). :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I must say that the LG, which we've had 4 years or so, handles unbalanced loads very well, much better than the old Kenmore top loader, with which it was a constant problem. I replaced the skid pads on the Kenmore a couple of times...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
We bought a new Samsung front loader washer and dryer 5 years ago. We've had zero issues with the washer. My wife likes the front loader because it's easier for her to load and unload because she's short (5'3"). I hate it because I'm 6'2" and have to bend over. Consequently she and my daughter do all the laundry. It's in use every day. Until reading this, I thought the advantage of a front loader was that the women have to do the laundry. :p

The dryer went out after two years. I don't recall the issue but the repairman said it was a goner. We replaced it with a Maytag. No issues so far.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We bought a new Samsung front loader washer and dryer 5 years ago. We've had zero issues with the washer. My wife likes the front loader because it's easier for her to load and unload because she's short (5'3"). I hate it because I'm 6'2" and have to bend over. Consequently she and my daughter do all the laundry. It's in use every day. Until reading this, I thought the advantage of a front loader was that the women have to do the laundry. :p

The dryer went out after two years. I don't recall the issue but the repairman said it was a goner. We replaced it with a Maytag. No issues so far.
That's one thing I dislike intensely about the LG - the filter is square down on the floor, where you have to get to clean it out. Generally, we do it together because it's a lot easier with two than alone. That's pretty bad design. IDK about other front loaders. Maybe all of them have to have the filter down there...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
That's one thing I dislike intensely about the LG - the filter is square down on the floor, where you have to get to clean it out. Generally, we do it together because it's a lot easier with two than alone. That's pretty bad design. IDK about other front loaders. Maybe all of them have to have the filter down there...
We bought the drawers that fit under the machines which makes it much easier to get to the filter. However, when we went to the Maytag dryer, the Samsung drawer will not fit under the Maytag dryer. That ticked me off. I refused to pay for the Maytag drawer so we now have a tall washing machine and a short dryer. I’ll cave soon and get her the other drawer.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

The Fisher Paykel Direct Drive electronically commutated motor located on the back of the outer tub of the Samsung washer is really interesting technology that requires no belts, clutches, pulleys or other type of heavy wear components. The motor can rotate in either direction at practically any RPM. Unfortunately Samsung utilizes a die cast aluminum spider assembly to support and drive the inner cylinder that is subject to catastrophic failure. It has been the subject of many complaints from users. I replaced it on our washer and it has run perfectly since although I did have to learn the machine from the inside out. BTW it is difficult to think that a dryer even with a similar failure would not be easily repairable. The only thing that I could think of would be failure of the electronic module which would be very expensive as a part to replace.

It would be interesting to see if the LG machine utilizes the same patented ECM drive system as the Samsung.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The Fisher Paykel Direct Drive electronically commutated motor located on the back of the outer tub of the Samsung washer is really interesting technology that requires no belts, clutches, pulleys or other type of heavy wear components. The motor can rotate in either direction at practically any RPM. Unfortunately Samsung utilizes a die cast aluminum spider assembly to support and drive the inner cylinder that is subject to catastrophic failure. It has been the subject of many complaints from users. I replaced it on our washer and it has run perfectly since although I did have to learn the machine from the inside out. BTW it is difficult to think that a dryer even with a similar failure would not be easily repairable. The only thing that I could think of would be failure of the electronic module which would be very expensive as a part to replace.

It would be interesting to see if the LG machine utilizes the same patented ECM drive system as the Samsung.
I'll dig around and see if I can find out. It can rotate at any speed in either direction...

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
We had a Kenmore top loader which we rode for about 25 years. We replaced it with an LG front loader which performs well but we also have the mold problem. I would never recommend an LG dishwasher. As soon as it was out of warranty, it started breaking and would lie face down in the kitchen while I waited for the parts to come in from Repair Clinic. On the fifth repair, my wife said "no more," and we bought a KitchenAid, which is not nearly so well designed and laid out as the LG, but it hasn't broken - yet...
We have a front loader and had to have a serviceman look at it (I was wondering where all that change went :)). He suggested leaving the door ajar when not in use and we have not had the mold/odor issue since.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We have a front loader and had to have a serviceman look at it (I was wondering where all that change went :)). He suggested leaving the door ajar when not in use and we have not had the mold/odor issue since.
We actually came up with that tactic on our own. It does help, but not eliminate, the problem with the LG. The LG has a catch which holds the door open an inch or so but it doesn't seem to do as well as wide open...

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Our LG has performed very well except for this one problem. We're even thinking about replacing the front gasket and the washer is around four years old or so. I will never buy anything out of the Whirlpool/KitchenAid/Jenn Air/Maytag factory again. I also would not buy an LG dishwasher because of their faulty design and tendency to break down - probably a Bosch next time...
We've got a top-loading LG washer that has been solid for us for several years. Avoided the front loader because of the mold issues. Whirlpool/Maytag quality has nosedived over the last ten years, we had (note the tense) a Maytag washer that looked good in the store, but turned out to be poorly built. After the third time the control board died, I said screw it and got something else (can't remember off the top of my head. GE, I'm thinking.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We've got a top-loading LG washer that has been solid for us for several years. Avoided the front loader because of the mold issues. Whirlpool/Maytag quality has nosedived over the last ten years, we had (note the tense) a Maytag washer that looked good in the store, but turned out to be poorly built. After the third time the control board died, I said screw it and got something else (can't remember off the top of my head. GE, I'm thinking.
GE has become competitive again in price and quality. That's what we bought in a dual fuel range a couple of years ago and we really like it, except for dim backlighting on the control panel. We also have an upper end GE profile side-by-side refrigerator and we've had it for 7-8 years. I've replaced the main MoBo on it once, which was a breeze. The subsidiary MoBo looks like it would be a bit more of a chore...

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
GE has become competitive again in price and quality. That's what we bought in a dual fuel range a couple of years ago and we really like it, except for dim backlighting on the control panel. We also have an upper end GE profile side-by-side refrigerator and we've had it for 7-8 years. I've replaced the main MoBo on it once, which was a breeze. The subsidiary MoBo looks like it would be a bit more of a chore...
It doesn't apply to your older products but for general information GE sold their appliance business to Haier, a Chinese company in 2016. GE has shopped its appliance unit for years with many potential purchasers including Panasonic. Whirlpool and Electrolux a.b. were in the mix but were ruled out due to US government concerns of excessive concentration of the industry. So in their infinite wisdom they allowed Haier to effectively purchase a large share of the US appliance business with the obvious outcome to move a significant amount of the production to China.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Gas burners and electric oven?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It doesn't apply to your older products but for general information GE sold their appliance business to Haier, a Chinese company in 2016. GE has shopped its appliance unit for years with many potential purchasers including Panasonic. Whirlpool and Electrolux a.b. were in the mix but were ruled out due to US government concerns of excessive concentration of the industry. So in their infinite wisdom they allowed Haier to effectively purchase a large share of the US appliance business with the obvious outcome to move a significant amount of the production to China.
Thanks. I had forgotten about the Haier sale...

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
When we moved to Arkansas wife wanted new washer and dryer. We left the 3 year old LG machines in PA when we sold the house. Was not impressed with those LG's. We bought Speed Queen top loading washer and dyer. They are still made in USA and come with a 10 year warranty. They ain't fancy, they just work.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Our LG has performed very well except for this one problem. We're even thinking about replacing the front gasket and the washer is around four years old or so. I will never buy anything out of the Whirlpool/KitchenAid/Jenn Air/Maytag factory again. I also would not buy an LG dishwasher because of their faulty design and tendency to break down - probably a Bosch next time...
We bought a Bosch in February. Awesome. I never even know it's on except for the little red light that shines on the floor when it is.

in 2014 we bought a Samsung washer, dryer, and fridge package at HomeDepot during one of their big sales. There are newer models of these available now but ours still look and function as if new (knock on wood) after 5 years. The washer/dryer are front loading and we stacked them instead of side-by-side.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
My old Estate by Whirlpool direct drive top loader started having agitator issues about a month or so ago. Every other operational aspect was working perfectly. So I replaced the dogs with no improvement and then yesterday I actually pulled everything from underneath and replaced the clutch and some other minor parts and that didn't help either. The old parts were still in good condition so I was thinking this wouldn't help and I was right. I came to the conclusion it must be one of the gears inside the transmission.

In the process of all this I got tired of spending too much time on repairs so found a local place that sells used appliances. He's keeping his store closed except for appointments right now and has ads in the local CL, which is how I found him.

He met me this morning at his store - just he and I. We chatted a bit about repair stuff and general washer mechanics and he agreed it was probably my transmission. He had a back room with spare used parts but was reluctant to sell me one his transmissions because he wanted to save them for his repairs, which I understood. I will probably snag one off eBay.

But in the meantime I got a pretty good deal ($200 cash) on this Kenmore direct drive top-loader with the see through lid. I told him it looked like something designed by NASA.....lol.

It went through the first load and worked perfect. A little quieter than my old one. It also has the double rinse option, which is nice.

IMG_7918.JPGIMG_7916.JPGIMG_7921.JPG

Reactions: seebell

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Good Deal Bazz. There's a place in Huntsville called Rocket City Appliance (Used to be called Pappys) that sells used appliances. He's got some washers and dryers and stoves that look brand new at a good price. Come with a 60 day guarantee.

I always like to use the braided stainless supply hoses.

BTW, the bed of your truck is too clean. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Bazza and UAH

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.