Is UT still a rivalry for the Bama players?

BAMA 22 HEISMAN

1st Team
Dec 13, 2009
It has been over a decade since UT has beaten Alabama which makes me wonder, is this still a rivalry for today's Bama players? Obviously most of those players were approximately 7 years old the last time Tennessee beat Alabama. For the fans, it is still a crazy fiery rivalry. I just wonder, how do you keep a rivalry feeling like one, when it is not much one one anymore?

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Probably not. In 1986 when Bama beat Notre Dame, Cornelius Bennett said that he had no idea that Notre Dame was a big rival of Bama's. College football players are very young and most probably only know about what has happened over the last few years. I'm sure the players are being told that Tennessee is a huge rival, but they probably don't understand why. That's just my guess.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It's interesting to think about. I have two daughters and they have only ever lived in a world where Tennessee has never beaten Alabama (oldest is 12, youngest is 8). To them, Tennessee isn't as big a deal as Auburn or LSU. I doubt many of the players think its as big a rivalry as it once was.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Let’s also keep in mind how many players are not from Alabama or the southeast in general so they would not have even grown up knowing the Iron Bowl let alone the Third Saturday in October.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not that I'm predicting or expecting it to happen...BUT....try losing to the Vols and then ask if this is still a "rivalry." :biggrin:

I know some say both teams have to occasionally win for it to be a rivalry, but I'm just fine with this being a "one-sided" rivalry!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saban has said for a few years that he has to explain the importance of this rivalry to the players. So, no. You really can't explain something like this - something emotional - without a great deal of effort, and I doubt that Saban went that far.

The players want to beat TN because they are next, not because they are TN.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
Probably not. In 1986 when Bama beat Notre Dame, Cornelius Bennett said that he had no idea that Notre Dame was a big rival of Bama's. College football players are very young and most probably only know about what has happened over the last few years. I'm sure the players are being told that Tennessee is a huge rival, but they probably don't understand why. That's just my guess.
I agree and think due to so few players on Bama's team that are not born and raised in Alabama, the history is just not heartfelt of why fans of Bama hate Tennessee. However, I am sure the perpetual goal of national championships is a more improtant factor for all players. So, Roll Tide Roll! Nothing sucks like a big orange!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
It's not even a rivalry for most fans anymore...just another "w" and move on. We really have only 3 SEC "rivalries" at best: Auburn, LSU, and UGA -- and the latter 2 only if you count close calls. In fact, you could say that only AU is a true rivalry for they are the only SEC team to consistently give us trouble. OM did for a bit -- but no more. Facts are facts...CNS continues to separate from the rest of the league year after year.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I wonder if they will monitor this thread, which monitors that thread, which monitors other threads. :conf2:
Who watches the watchmen? ***blue***

They usually try to harp on one particular thread a year. This time they picked two. It’s kinda funny that they bash us on “made up” information and being delusional.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I figure it would be kinda obvious that this probably doesn't mean much more than any other game for Alabama players. I think it meant something in 2007 when we upset a clearly superior Tennessee squad. Finding a way to win on an off day in 2009 and 2015 (national championship seasons) meant a lot to the players I'd imagine. There was a fair amount of hype around the 2016 game and it was close for a half (it got un-close quick though). The problem with this series is that there haven't been many close ones. LSU is definitely still a rivalry despite the current 8 game winning streak. The competition has been better in that series than TSIO. Competition is key. When Arkansas has produced more close games than Tennessee since Saban arrived, the problem is squarely on the Tennessee side of the equation.

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Saban has said for a few years that he has to explain the importance of this rivalry to the players. So, no. You really can't explain something like this - something emotional - without a great deal of effort, and I doubt that Saban went that far.

The players want to beat TN because they are next, not because they are TN.
I want us to beat Tennessee because they are next.

I want us to beat Tennessee so badly, so thoroughly, so demoralizingly that the program and its fans call for a town-hall meeting to discuss the possibility of dropping football altogether because they're Tennessee.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.