What was your MOST intense Alabama football moment?

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
I'm talking about those cold sweat, trembling, terrifying, intense "this is it" moments. There have been many, I know, but what moment stands out to you as the most potentially heart attack-inducing moment in Alabama football?

I'll start:

The "Rocky Block" play in 2009. I stood in my living room here as the Evil Orange Empire was lining up for the seemingly close and easy field goal attempt, spontaneously inventing a few new curse words, and thinking (probably out loud), "NO! You can lose to ANYONE but the Vols!!!!"

Then the miracle happened where Terrence Cody saved the day and made it into a Daniel Moore painting.

For me, this was a greater moment than the goal line stand against Penn State, probably because I wasn't old enough to fully appreciate that one yet.

What say all of you?

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i have a couple. 2012 i think was the LSU game, down with a little over a minute left @ LSU.. equal for me was probably back in 1989, and the blocked FG to hang on vs Penn State and remain undefeated on the season

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
"2nd and 26" is probably my favorite play. But I agree with the OP. The blocked FG by Mt Cody play was the most intense for me. During the game, my neighbor across the street kept going out and hollering Go Tennessee and cheering. So I was on the edge of my seat for that last play. I was just hoping the kicker would miss, but got a bonus with the block. So I ran out in my front yard and started hollering "Roll Tide!".

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
2009 Iron Bowl. I was at Jordan-Hare watching the game in a skybox full of cocky, loud aub fans. Then McElroy to Upchurch to finally take the lead (and shut them up). It was glorious!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I never saw the Cody block live, and its the only TSIO game I ever missed in my lifetime, so it really goes down on the list for me.

For crazy ass games that Ive been to personally I rank them as such:

1) UGA NCG
2) 2014 Auburn
3) 2017 MSU
4) 2007 Arkansas
5) 2015 Tennessee

For games in general

1) UGA NCG
2) 2018 UGA
3) 2012 UGA
4) 2015 Clemson
5) 99 @ UF

These of course are all wins because I really wish to forget most losses.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
For me, it would be October 12, 1974. Alabama vs FSU. The most frustrating game I've ever watched. Bama won in the last 30 seconds with a field goal by Buckey Berrey. Richard Todd was hurt, so Robert Fraley and Jack O'rear played QB. We won 8 to 7 with two field goals and a safety.

w2430

Jan 8, 2018
Mine was in 1989. Number 6 Bama vrs Number 14 Penn State @ Beaver Stadium. I was there with my Boss, Paul Spivey (Former Wishbone Running Back For The Bear). It Was a dream trip. The Penn State field goal in the final play of the game would have beat us and the subsequent block by Thomas Rayam won the game for us. We were in the middle of Bama Fan Section and the celebration ensued. The entire team and all of the Bama fans met in our corner of Beaver stadium and celebrated for what seemed like 15 minutes. Got to hand slap Thomas as he walked to the dressing room. I get chills every time I reminiscence about this victory. Here's a link to the "Desperation Block". https://www.al.com/sports/2015/10/looking_back_desperation_block.html

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I attended the 2008 SECCG and it felt like that whole game was intense because of how the season had played out and what was at stake.

For individual moment, Rocky block. Especially considering what was on the line.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
"2nd and 26" because a championship game that looked to be lost just seconds before had turned into a victory.

No FG kicker, down by 3, Tua takes a huge sack, the game is all but over - BOOM!

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
It's the goal line stand against PSU for me, also. Lots of great plays over the years, but that series down there on the goal line was incredible.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
1996 Dennis Riddle, into the end zone at Legion Field, in the Iron Bowl. Nothing was really at stake in the game; Auburn was middling, and the Tide had already lost to Tennessee and lost the week before at Miss State, out of nowhere. I was at all of the games, and knowing this was Coach Stallings final Iron Bowl, made the win that much more special.

Two weeks later, we would lose again at the hands of Florida in the SEC title game, but it didn't matter as much as winning that Iron Bowl, the first one I had attended as a student. ROLL TIDE is all I have to say!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Probably 2nd and 26.

I didn't see the Cody Block live (that was the last time I ever left the room out of disgust thinking we had lost and won't ever do it again).

These stupid championship games, being on a Monday night and starting so late, end up with me all alone in the living room having to be quiet because the rest of the family has gone to sleep. So the top 2 moments, I never yelled. I had to jump up and down in silence. Those would be the Drake return that sealed the win over Clemson for the 2015 championship, and 2nd and 26. There were so many wild swings in both games, but that Georgia game takes the cake. We had come all the way back and made the poor decision to play for the FG to win in regulation, which of course we missed. Then we sack Fromm in their first possession, which should have knocked them out of FG range, but their 70 year old kicker hits the darn thing. Then Tua gets sacked way out of FG range, and as it has already been stated, we don't have a FG kicker at all. Then, he launches that pass that will go down in history. I exploded, quietly, with emotion in my living room. Such a stunning, lifetime event.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.